December 2011 Moms
Options

Calling your dad Daddy.

I read this discussion while lurking and I wondered what the girls here thought.

Do you think it's creepy when adult women call their dad Daddy? What age do you think is a good cut off? Do you think it is a maturity thing?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Calling your dad Daddy.

• Options
    I don't think it is creepy, but I think it is a child thing...so I find it weird. I know someone who is my age (24) and she calls her parents mommy and daddy. I find it annoying. My mom tells me that I stopped calling her mommy around 7 or 8ish.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah I think it's weird. I think around 8 should be the cutoff. I honestly don't remember ever calling my dad daddy so idk when I stopped.
    Born at 26 weeks 2 days gestation, 2 pounds 2 ounces due to IC/PTL,
    and after 82 days in the NICU, our little girl is home!
    Untitled Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think it's creepy. I'm 26 and I call my Dad "Daddy." I call my mom "Mom." Sometimes it is about what parents prefer to be called and call each other. DH dad will talk to him and say "Son you need to call Mommy..she's got....going on." Now, when MIL speaks of FIL she refers to him as "Dad" to DH and SIL. And it will depend on the situation what DH and SIL call their mom...sometimes Mommy, and sometimes Mom.
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird; I still call my dad "daddy", and most women I know do the same. I call my mom "mama," which is also common where I'm from. Maybe it's a cultural thing?
  • Options
    My dad passed away when I was 11, so maybe my opinion here is mute, but I don't think there is anything wrong with someone calling their dad "daddy". I know I went back and forth before my dad passed but when I think of him he was my daddy. Many people call their father's different terms like father, dad, papa, daddy and some by their first name or what not. I think that it is a personal thing and not a maturity thing. However, I do believe it is dependent on a relational thing, like subservience maybe? Like family dynamics. Most of all though, I think it is far more healthy and less creepy to call your father daddy then your husband...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do find it creepy, but I don't have a good relationship with my father, and can't remember actually calling him Daddy ever. I find it even worse when grown men call their father Daddy. I saw this on Tough Cookies last week, yuck.
  • Options
    I don't find it creepy.  Maybe because my father and aunt (his sister) call their dad "Daddy" and they are both in their 60's.  It doesn't sound childish to me.  Maybe it's a southern thing?  I don't really know. 

• Options
    I haven't called my dad "Daddy" in a long time - I think by middle school I stopped.  But I don't think it's creepy if others still call their dads "Daddy"
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options

imagerachealwebster:
    I don't think it's weird; I still call my dad "daddy", and most women I know do the same. I call my mom "mama," which is also common where I'm from. Maybe it's a cultural thing?

Agree. I grew up in New England, and can't think of any adults who call their father, "daddy." Now that we live in Georgia, though, I hear it all the time. In fact, I hear both grown men and women call their dads "daddy." 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    chrlyrchrlyr member
    I think it's more weird than creepy, but MIL will occasionally refer to FIL (while talking about him with DH) as "Daddy." In talking with MIL, DH has also done it once or twice. I've never said anything because I don't want to embarrass him, but I cringed inwardly. I don't think I've called my dad "Daddy" since I was 5.
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagerachealwebster:

This. I, too, am wondering if its a cultural thing. I sometimes say daddy, and even my mom still calls her father "daddy."

DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • Options

I would say it's regional. I'm from New England, I have never heard anyone over the age of 10 call their dad "daddy" unless they wanted something. I also have a lot of family living in the SE....my cousins in their 30's-40's still call their dad "daddy"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagerachealwebster:

Same here. I send my dad Good morning texts that typically say, "Good morning daddy! ily mucho mucho!" I know it makes him happy and I've called him that all my life; it would be weird to stop now. But I'm from North GA; I guess it's more popular in the south.

• Options
    imageChelseaP1985:

imagerachealwebster:

Agree. I grew up in New England, and can't think of any adults who call their father, "daddy." Now that we live in Georgia, though, I hear it all the time. In fact, I hear both grown men and women call their dads "daddy." 

I live in North Florida, about an hour from the Georgia line, and everyone still calls their dad daddy here. DH's parents are mama and daddy to him, too. But I went to high school with a girl who moved here from Connecticut, I think, and she was completely weirded out by it. In fact, she called her dad by his first name (which, where I'm from, is considered completely disrespectful). So I guess it is more regional/cultural.

• Options
    I think I stopped calling my parents mommy and daddy when I started high school maybe.  Now its mom and dad, or ma and dad.  I do find it a little weird when older kids call their parents mommy and daddy.
    TTC since July 2009.
    MFI, Moving onto IVF-ICSI.
    IVF #1 = BFP - sadly a blighted ovum discovered at 7 wks.
    D+C 12/7/10.
    IVF#2 - ER 3/27. 8 fertilized. ET 4/1; transferred 2 blasts; 2 frosties (total of 3 now)
    Beta #1, 4/11 = 291! Beta#2, 4/18 = 2702. Beta #3, 4/25 = 17303.
    Ultrasound #1, 4/29 = 1 perfect baby and heartbeat!.
    7/21 = a/s! It's a boy!!
    Robert Lawrence was born on December 1st at 4:32 am weighing 6lb 3oz, 19.5 inches long and healthy as anything!!
  • Options

I call my dad "daddy" sometimes in txt messages. He sends 'I love you' txts before he goes to bed sometimes and I reply with either 'I love you too' or 'Love you too daddy!'

I think it comforts him, knowing that even though he has 3 grown daughters, we'll always be "daddy's little girl"

Oh, to add... I don't call him daddy in person.Ever.

• Options
    I definitely think it has to do with where you're from regionally. Here in the South (Atlanta here) I see grown women call their fathers everything from Daddy to Big Daddy (this one CREEPS me out) and their mothers and grandmothers everything from Mommy, Momma, and Baby Doll. So weird to me, but I don't have to call my parents that so I just grin and bear it when I hear it. Except for Big Daddy... which just freaks me out way too much. 
  • Options
    I personally find it creepy! I stopped calling my dad "daddy" by age 5 or 6 probably, so he's basically been dad for as long as I can remember.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• Options

I dont call my dad daddy anymore unless Im sucking up or trying to be particularly sweet to him. But weve always had a tumultuous relationship so maybe that is why, but everyone else I grew up with did and still does refer to their fathers as daddy if they have a good relationship with him. I call my mom momma sometimes, but usually mom.

But in the south I think it's a pretty common thing. My uncle still refers to my dead grandfather as daddy and he is 50 years old. I dont find it weird unless the relationship is weird. If the son/daughter is MUCH closer to their parent than any adult should be then it becomes less endearing and more strange IMO.

• Options

imageLaurenRinAtlanta:
    I definitely think it has to do with where you're from regionally. Here in the South (Atlanta here) I see grown women call their fathers everything from Daddy to Big Daddy (this one CREEPS me out) and their mothers and grandmothers everything from Mommy, Momma, and Baby Doll. So weird to me, but I don't have to call my parents that so I just grin and bear it when I hear it. Except for Big Daddy... which just freaks me out way too much. 

THAT is creepy, cultural or not.

• Options

I call my Mom "Mommy" or "Momma" and my dad Pops. But I wouldn't hesitate to call him Daddy.

I don't think it's weird at all or a maturity thing. I have just always called them that, so I will continue to call them that. It's a term of endearment in my book, and I am never too old to still love my parents!

Edited to add that me and my dad send love-y text messages all the time. Most recently I sent him one to complain that I am still throwing up (he's good at hearing complaining) and he replied with "Pretty soon that will be a distant memory, replaced by wonderful memories of your child and your child growing up. When your baby is having a baby, you will look back and wonder where the time went and would give anything just to have those days back with your baby. I love you sweetie and have a great day."

My dad makes me cry when he sends me such sweet stuff. He also sends me flowers more often than my husband, LOL. If that makes me weird, so be it. I love my Pops! 

imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    I don't find it creepy, but probably because I still call my dad "daddy" sometimes and I'm almost 27. I always call my mom just mom or mama. 
  • Options

Creepy, no.  Immature, generally yes.  The few adults I've known that consistently call their parents "mommy" and "daddy" are spoiled, self-entitled, immature, people.  I'm sure there are exceptions out there somewhere, just haven't met any.

Edit: My background is living in the Midwest, New England, and West Coast. Might be different in the South, as so many things are. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
  • Options
    Personally I think its creepy. I started calling my dad, dad when I was about 4 (when I started Kindergarten- so I am told). When I hear those older than about 8 or 9, creepy. When I hear it now from women, it reminds me of the girlfriend in Couples Retreat!
  • Options
    imageGoldenPeaches:

I call my Mom "Mommy" or "Momma" and my dad Pops. But I wouldn't hesitate to call him Daddy.

I don't think it's weird at all or a maturity thing. I have just always called them that, so I will continue to call them that. It's a term of endearment in my book, and I am never too old to still love my parents!

Edited to add that me and my dad send love-y text messages all the time. Most recently I sent him one to complain that I am still throwing up (he's good at hearing complaining) and he replied with "Pretty soon that will be a distant memory, replaced by wonderful memories of your child and your child growing up. When your baby is having a baby, you will look back and wonder where the time went and would give anything just to have those days back with your baby. I love you sweetie and have a great day."

My dad makes me cry when he sends me such sweet stuff. He also sends me flowers more often than my husband, LOL. If that makes me weird, so be it. I love my Pops! 

My dad sends me these every night. He always switches it up too. "Goodnight my little runtly. I hope your evening is filled with blissful dreams and happy memories. I love you more than words can say."

Awww. I don't call him daddy to his face though, but I don't see him much. 

• Options

I definitely think it's creepy.

I have noticed lately that I have an issue with Mommy too....I saw this baby onesie that said, "if you think I am cute, you should see my mommy" and it made me want to puke. 

My family is not into nicknames or cutesie stuff (my MIL totally is) so that is probably why I feel this way....it'll be interested to see if I can even handle a toddler calling my mommy, let alone an adult.

9.20.10 Natural M/C
  • Options
    imageDiademChi:

Creepy, no.  Immature, generally yes.  The few adults I've known that consistently call their parents "mommy" and "daddy" are spoiled, self-entitled, immature, people.  I'm sure there are exceptions out there somewhere, just haven't met any.

Edit: My background is living in the Midwest, New England, and West Coast. Might be different in the South, as so many things are. 

I don't agree with the idea of calling your dad "daddy" to be immature. In the South, that is typically the norm and I don't think it has anything to do with an individual being spoiled, self-entitled or immature. I personally still call my dad "daddy" as several of other friends of mine do as well. Stereotyping is actually something I have found that people do that are usually self-entitled and insecure.

• Options

I think it is a southern thing. Not only do I call my dad "Daddy", I have never met anyone who doesn't call their dad "Daddy". I also call my FIL Daddy and my mother  is called Mama. I would probably find it strange to see someone call they dad something other than daddy.

• Options

I think being an adult and seriously calling your dad "daddy" sounds a little silly/immature to me.  I might call my dad that as a joke or to try sweet talking him. Never seriously though. 

On a side note, my dad and his siblings always call their dad "father" because they aren't very endeared to him due to his method of raising them.  My dad hates being called father if anyone ever does.  

• Options
    imageladywbull:
    imageDiademChi:

I don't agree with the idea of calling your dad "daddy" to be immature. In the South, that is typically the norm and I don't think it has anything to do with an individual being spoiled, self-entitled or immature. I personally still call my dad "daddy" as several of other friends of mine do as well. Stereotyping is actually something I have found that people do that are usually self-entitled and insecure.

lol. Yes

• Options

My family has always been into nicknames/pet names. My dad has always been Dad, Daddy, Pop, Papa, Bumpa (grandkids nickname), Padre, Daddy-O interchangeably. Mom will be Mom, Madre, Mama, Mimi (grandkids nickname), or "Ma" if we feel like being annoying Wink.

It has never been weird. Especially not for my dad. Now that he is ill and fading from us it has become a lot more natural to call him Daddy. Its a small way for me to hang onto him and hang on to the man that raised me while he is still with us. (Losing him to dementia, for a little perspective on why I feel that way)

• Options

Just to preface- I am 23, live in the south (Tennessee) and have a degree and a very professional full-time job.

I still call my Dad Daddy. Although I don't do it all the time, typically whenever I tell him I love him, or there's a definite father-daughter moment. I still hold his hand sometimes too (usually just the pinky) and this almost always happens on special occasions, like taking him to a special church service or my college graduation. For us, its used during a more personal "I'm still your little girl" moment.

My mom, and her husband, are Mom and John. And I call my dad's long-term girlfriend Patty. (Although this was Miss Patty for a few years, southern habit.) I call most elders Miss ____ or Sir and Ma'am. (Also habit.)

My grandparents always referred to each other as Momma and Papaw, and my grandma still calls my grandpa Papaw (the grandkids' name for him)  even now, 8+ years after he died.

I think "daddy" and the like are a southern thing for sure. Many of my friends from the area call their parents Momma and Daddy, but my friends from out of state find it really weird. Some people you can tell were raised in the "live off Daddy's dollar" type homes, and you can tell their usage is a little more spoiled child rather than an endearing nickname. It makes me want to puke when I hear girls call their husbands/boyfriends "Daddy" though. To me, that's so much worse.

• Options
    06hoky06hoky member

imageLaurenRinAtlanta:

Blanche from Golden Girls called her dad "Big Daddy"!  I believe her character was from Atlanta too. 

Anyways I've always called my parents mom and dad.  If I used Daddy at all I don't remember.  I don't think there's a problem with people still using Daddy.  My dad is from Illinois and his father is Daddy to this day.  I hardly ever heard him say it unless he was talking to my grandma about him but he was 50 calling him Daddy.  Definitly a cultural thing and nothing to be weirded out by.

image Started TTC 11/07 BFP 09/24/08 Miscarriage 09/30/08 First cycle of clomid August 09 Second cycle of clomid September 09 BFP 09/30/09 Miscarriage 10/10/09 Three more rounds of clomid and no success Diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Abnormal Bleeding for 3 months resulted in D&C but results were normal November 2010 100mg clomid but didn't respond December 2010 forced break for a cyst February 2011 150mg clomid but still no response March 2011 250mg clomid and responded! Ovidrel trigger shot and IUI on March 31 Beta #1 11dpo: 27 Beta #2 15dpo: 85 Beta #3 18dpo 276 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagerachealwebster:

This exactly for me. Although, if I were introducing them to someone, or speaking about them to a third party I would call them my parents or Mom and Dad.

TTC since 3/2010 3/10 - 12/10: IUIs 1-6 = BFN 3/11: IVF #1 (3DT of 2) = BFP! (Beta #1 @ 14DP3DT = 320; Beta #2 @ 16DP3DT = 745) It's a boy! Rylar Andrew born 12/5/11! So in love. :)image
  • Options
    Well my dad passed away when I was 14 so I cant really remark on that but I call my mom "momma". I dont think there is anything wrong with it.
  • Options

I think it's weird. My 7 year old is even getting past the point of saying daddy/mommy. Sometimes she says mom/dad. I couldn't imagine her saying mommy/daddy well into her teen years.

ETA: I have a friend in TX whose son calls her Mommy and her mom (his grandma) Mama, then Grandpa is Papa and the bio-dad is Daddy and the step-dad is Dad. It's bizarre.

• Options
    narknark member
    imageHollanjz:

imagerachealwebster:

This exactly for me. Although, if I were introducing them to someone, or speaking about them to a third party I would call them my parents or Mom and Dad.

Yep. Cultural for sure. Mine are Daddy and Mama, and everyone I know in the South calls their parents the same. I might say "Dad" now and then to him, but I'll even say "Daddy" when talking about him to like my brother or my mom. (My mom called her father "Daddy" until the end, though she calls her mother "Mother.") When talking about them to someone else, I call them my Mom and Dad. DH is from the Free State of South Africa, where the culture is actually very similar to the South (casual, friendly, laid-back). He and everyone I've met there call their parents Ma and Pa (sometimes Pappa).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"