Natural Birth

Lamaze vs Bradley

I signed up for Lamaze, figuring they were about the same. The more I read though, Bradley sounds more my style but I've heard good about Lamaze too... Are there pros and cons to either or any recommendations for either class? Thanks  Big Smile

Re: Lamaze vs Bradley

• I did Bradley and believe in the method so much that I am studying to be an instructor! The theory behind Bradley is that you have to relax and let the body do what it's meant to do (very much like animals do in nature). So the 12 week course focuses on nutrition, relaxation techniques, the physiology of labor, and of course, the husband/partner as the coach. It also covers all of the decisions/scenarios that might arise during labor/delivery and how to make the best decisions to avoid intervention (and help you understand when intervention is TRULY necessary).

In essence, giving birth is like runnning a marathon. In the same way that you would want to prepare for a marathon, you would want to prepare for labor/delivery. That's why it's 12 weeks long (plus, it takes that long to learn something new). You practice the relaxation techniques every week (and every day at home- homework) as well as learn laboring positions, and techniques for your coach to help guide you through labor. DH found it incredibly enlightening (I did too). He felt like he was ready for labor, no matter what and when. He learned about emotional sign posts (that helped him determine what stage of labor I was in) and because we practiced for 12 weeks+ he felt like he had all the resources necessary to help me through each contraction. I've also heard good things about Lamaze, but it's all personal preference! GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"