North Florida Babies

Moving to Eglin Area

Hey Floridians! This week I hope to follow my husband who is being transferred to Eglin. I have heard, from several sources, that the housing on base has a wait, and the area around the base is a bit seedy. Can anyone give me any more info than that? Any info on furnished housing would be appreciated as well. We had to sell or give away most of our possessions at the last change of DS, so I have been renting furnished for the last 2.5 months.

Also, can anyone tell me about birthing classes at the hospital on base? I am just entering my third trimester this week, and so I would like to enroll, but I'm quite concerned that I may have missed my opportunity to do so.

Living life on the fly! Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Moving to Eglin Area

• I also forgot to mention that I would love to know about the local market types. Particularly any Farmer's Markets. I love to support local economies.

• Welcome to the area! My husband works at Hurlburt Field (It used to be called Field 9 when my FIL worked there 35 years ago). I can say that you will be moving to one of the most beautiful beaches on the Gulf Coast. As far as you housing arrangements go, it would depend on how far away from the base you are willing to live. My husband drives 45 minutes to work everyday, but we live almost 36 miles from it. He did not want to live right next door to the people he works with. Plus we are right down the road from a public beach access.

There are plenty of condos and houses furnished around here, but I don't know if the price is right. Most of them will be weekly over long term.  The best thing is to call a real-estate agent. Look in the Destin/Okaloosa Island areas. Fort Walton is great, but the zoning is off.

I can't help you with the birthing classes. My husband is no longer active duty.  When I was able to use Eglin, my husband was deployed and I was put on bed rest. I had to transfer to Keesler (Biloxi) were my family lives so they could help take care of me.

For the farmers market, there are plenty around. When you do finally get settled here look it up in the papers. I have been to one or two and the produce was great. My MIL goes all the time to different ones.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the help. Getting a place fast is proving difficult, though there does seem to be plenty of nice real estate. I will check those papers as soon as I get there. Does each area (Shalimar/Valparaiso/Fort Walton) put out their own paper? I have found several local farmers markets, but none for Shalimar, which is where it looks likely we will end up. Thanks!
  • The newspaper for the area is the Northwest Florida Daily News. They have it online also. I just forgot to tell you that in the other post. You can also try the Eglin and Hurlburt papers.

The City of Niceville is not that bad also. You maybe able to find a house in the bay area. A lot of families live their who has someone working on Eglin. I wish you much luck on finding just the right house. If you need anything, just ask. I will do my best to help!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Niceville, Ft. Walton and Shalimar are all nice and are full of housing for Eglin folks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"