August 2011 Moms
Options

Car seat base slides too much--WWYD

Hi ladies,

DH and I took our car seat base (Chicco Keyfit 30) to get installed last night. We have leather bucket seats in the back, and the car seat installer had a hard time with it. He said that the base slides too much because of the leather, and that we need to get a liner to put underneath to secure it. I know there has been some discussion about whether the liners are a good idea or not...what would you do? Do the liners void the car seat warranty?

Re: Car seat base slides too much--WWYD

• Options
    We have the same car seats and leather seats in DH's car.  We have a liner underneath each one and haven't had trouble with them sliding.  Now, I can't comment on the warranty being voided or not, but I know he didn't have any issues with them moving around.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

i'm not sure what you mean by liner - but we use the protector mat (i think its made by lionhart) that goes underneath. if you do not use the mat, be prepared for horrible marred leather seats. They actually say the opposite of what you are saying - that the protector mats create too much wiggle in the car seat base which is why they do not recommend them. I originally had my chicco base checked in the back of my mustang convertible (which was the car i had when my baby was born) and they were leather and basically bucket seats. The inspector told me it was fine and did not wiggle because my husband had it in so well - but typically he has to pull out the protector pad.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I also have leather seats and have decided to use a seat protector. I didn't notice much wiggle at all and i have no idea what it will do to the seat warranty. We'll find out (about the wiggle) on Thursday when CHP checks the seat for us.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. The inspector said we could buy liner that you would use to line your kitchen drawers with... while that might work, I was thinking I would just get the protector mat that i've seen at BBB and see how that goes.
  • Options
    Maybe use a towel on the seat between the leather seat and base?.
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lnc514lnc514 member
    Instead of the liner have you considered trying out different seats in your car and maybe exchanging your car seat for one that might work better in your car?  I know this could be a total pain (especially if your stroller works with your current seat), but a lot of places will let you test the base before you buy.  For our cars the Britax seats always seem to install so much tighter than the others we've tried. I really like their seat belt locking option, which allows you to try with LATCH OR the seat belt and see which has the tightest install (I know all car seats have this option, but the locking clips in Britax seats are so awesome and tight). My parents have a BMW with leather seats and even though it has LATCH, the seat belt with the locking clips in the Britax seat actually installs tighter than the LATCH straps in that car.  Just a thought, good luck! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagelnc514:
    Instead of the liner have you considered trying out different seats in your car and maybe exchanging your car seat for one that might work better in your car?  I know this could be a total pain (especially if your stroller works with your current seat), but a lot of places will let you test the base before you buy.  For our cars the Britax seats always seem to install so much tighter than the others we've tried. I really like their seat belt locking option, which allows you to try with LATCH OR the seat belt and see which has the tightest install (I know all car seats have this option, but the locking clips in Britax seats are so awesome and tight). My parents have a BMW with leather seats and even though it has LATCH, the seat belt with the locking clips in the Britax seat actually installs tighter than the LATCH straps in that car.  Just a thought, good luck! 

Yeah, we originally purchased a Britax Chaperone seat, not even thinking if it would fit in our car, but we couldn't even get it in the passenger side of our BMW 328 even with the seat completely moved forward. We went to BBB and the guy said either the Chicco or the Peg Perego are good options for our car, but the Chicco seemed to be a better fit for us at the time. I know the installer/inspector tried both the LATCH and the seat belt, but both were sliding more than an inch which he said isn't safe. Hopefully the mat will work!

• Options

imagetnas1:
    Thanks ladies. The inspector said we could buy line that you would use to line your kitchen drawers with... while that might work, I was thinking I would just get the protector mat that i've seen at BBB and see how that goes.

The instructors/inpsectors were distributing these )the shelf liners) at our car seat clinic.  We didn't need one for my car, but I've seen friends who have leather seats use them.  I doubt the KISS inspectors are distributing them if they void warranty's or would be unsafe.  Definitely double check though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have a regular Chicco and it doesn't slide on my leather seats (nor has it ruined or in any way marred my leather) I've heard the protector mats aren't that safe, but I know that shelf liner is often recommended by techs, so I would imagine its ok.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

they should have had the shelf liner there to use. We always have some available at clinics/checks. 

this is what we usually have: 

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Square-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1310934703&sr=1-1 

the seat protectors aren't safe..but this contact paper type stuff is.  

• Options
    Our car seat installed just fine in our vehicle with leather seats. We didn't put a liner down, it's right on the seat. I find that it actually fits better in this vehicle then it did in my prior vehicle that had fabric seats. I had to pretty much stand on the base and then tighten it down to get it tight but it worked. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    if the professional recommended it i would go and buy one. i cant think of why it would void the warranty since it is just a piece of fabric to sit under the seat. i was in toys r us yesterday with my dh (a mechanic) and i asked him if we needed one when we passed it in the aisle. he said, "no because our seats aren't leather like mine." so i guess in the industry it is common knowledge if that makes you feel better. :) 
    imageimage
  • Options

imageMrs Case:
    if the professional recommended it i would go and buy one. i cant think of why it would void the warranty since it is just a piece of fabric to sit under the seat. i was in toys r us yesterday with my dh (a mechanic) and i asked him if we needed one when we passed it in the aisle. he said, "no because our seats aren't leather like mine." so i guess in the industry it is common knowledge if that makes you feel better. :) 

unless there has been a very recent change, BRU doesn't carry the safe kind. The stuff that's safe is usually found in the kitchen section at places like target and walmart...it's not made for car seats, but it's very useful for car seat installs from time to time! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"