Military Families
Options

Scare of my life (NBR, kinda long, sorry)

THis is a similar repost from the Feb 2012 page but not exact wording.  

Fiance is stationed in Fort Riley and this weekend he spent all day outside soaking up the sun.  He said sunday there was a heat index warning.  Monday morning he gets up to do training for their pt test today.  By 2:00 I just text him asking him how the training went.

Well then I get a call from him, which I thought was an odd time of the day and he says "hey baby, I don't want you to freak out but..." So now I'm in a slight panic wanting to know what happened.  He was in the hospital being treated for heat stroke!!!!  His core body temp was at the highest 108!!!!!!!  The medics in the aid station couldn't get an IV in because his veins were collapsing.  WHen the paramedics arrived they were finally able to get the IV in.  They put ice on him to get his body to cool down, after multiple retests, 105, 103 they finally got it down to just below 101.  At the hospital his troponin levels spiked so they sent him to another hospital.  

Of course I get a call from him after all this and he is awake and lucid.  Took awhile to set in but then I realized that he could have died, 8 weeks into our first pregnancy and 15 days before we were to get married.  Now he has to have follow up testing and is currently listed as non-deployable (his unit is set to deploy sometime in early 2012).  

He doesn't remember what happened but after talking to some guys in his unit they were able to fill in the blanks and let him know what happened to him.  He was walking and moving but not aware of anything that was happening, they were in formation and went to make a right turn and he just veered off from the unit.  They were yelling at him to get back but he wasn't listening, someone grabbed him and brought him back and then it happened again.  His eyes were wide open but were not responding to anything.  His sgt even slapped him a few times and nothing.  

Ironic to the whole thing, he is the medic of him unit.  I told him its not good when the medic suffers a heat stroke.  Sorry this got so long, and thanks for those that read it.  I just couldn't believe how close I came to becoming a single mom and widow before I even got married and heard a heartbeat.  Thank the Lord, Now we just need all the tests to come back normal on all his follow ups.   

Re: Scare of my life (NBR, kinda long, sorry)

• Options
    Wow.  Sorry to hear this.  I hope everything comes back okay.  MH had the same thing happen to him a couple of weeks ago.  He collapsed into the shower after using the restroom.  It was the freakiest thing ever, especially since I was in a deep sleep.  Turned out he was just dehydrated.  It is very scary though.  Make sure he drinks plenty of water from now on!  I remind MH all the time, especially since I'm preggo and I have to drink extra water now too. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about all of this and I hope he is ok.  FYI - I'm at Ft. Riley and there is a heat advisory until Tuesday. Super disgusting gross temps...highs in the 100s but not sure what the actual heat index will be.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am glad he is ok!

I am always afraid something like this is going to happen to DH during PT.

BabyName Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary PitaPata Dog tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"