VBAC

A "WWYD" Question...

So I haven't posted in a while...I was hoping for a vbac, but LO was breech.  That was up until a few days ago.  I was so excited that he flipped!  However, when I met with my Dr. I was still faced with the "do you want a RCS" question.  Apparently LO is measuring 94th percentile or higher on all of his u/s measurements (head, femur, abdomen, etc).  When I had DS#1 they told me that he'd weigh 9-11 lbs.  I was a scared FTM so I went with the elective c/s.  He was 8 lbs. 13 oz. My recovery was HORRIBLE!  This is why I was hoping for the vbac this time.  Well...now I'm back to square one again.  I went ahead and scheduled a RCS for 7/27 (DD is 7/31).  The minute I left the office I had reservations.  I keep thinking "I should've just tried!".  A friend of mine told me that if I go into labor before the 27th I should just try.  WHY am I such a chicken!!???  What would you do if you were me????
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: A "WWYD" Question...

  • "If it were me", I wouldn't schedule the RCS until the latest they allowed me (41 or 42 weeks) and even in my case, I opted for an induction before they could do a RCS on me.  Certainly not before my due date, but that is because I never go early.  They told me my DS was around 8 lbs and he was born over 10 lbs.  While my friend was in labor and they did a growth ultrasound on her, they told her that her son was pushing 9 lbs and a few hours later he came out at 6.5 lbs.

    So, I guess to me, I hold VERY little weight in those stupid measurements. So, if that is all that is holding you back I would stay the VBAC course.  This is your decision though and if you are more comfortable with a RCS, then that is what you should do.  I don't see a reason that you should have it before the due date unless they think something is wrong.  Is there a reason why they scheduled it earlier?

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • no, I just jumped the gun and thought "hey, I can meet my baby at 39 weeks instead"...I questioned my decision almost immediately :-/
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • They estimated my daughter to be 7 3/4, and she was 5 lbs 15 oz.

    If I were you, I would reschedule the rcs, I personally would also try for an induction first, but I think I would do anything in my power to avoid another c section.

  • Imagine how much worse your recovery could be while caring for both children.  Personally, I'll do anything to avoid that again.  Like PP said, I would push back your RCS date to 41 or 42 weeks.  If you end up going ahead with the RCS, you didn't lose anything by waiting another week or so.  But if you think you might want to VBAC, you'll need that extra time. 

    I too put no faith in those measurements.  I was told my DD was almost 9lbs at 38 weeks.  She was born at 42 weeks and she was 9lbs 1oz.  So, either she gained nothing in the past 4 weeks or the measurement was wrong. 

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebabyroot2:
    no, I just jumped the gun and thought "hey, I can meet my baby at 39 weeks instead"...I questioned my decision almost immediately :-/

    Aw, you can call them back tomorrow and reschedule it! It seems like you do want to try for VBAC (but this is over the internet, on a public message board, so I could be wrong :)). 

    Anyhoo, I was and am in the "anything to avoid a RCS" camp. FWIW, my VBAC baby was 10 lb 10 oz (my first was 8 lb 4 oz), and he came out just fine. It can be done! I agree with everyone else, reschedule for 41+ weeks. Here are some good links:

    https://blogs.babble.com/being-pregnant/2011/01/13/miranda-kerr-gave-birth-to-huge-baby-vaginally-with-no-drugs/

    https://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/Big_baby.htm

    https://birthsen.tmdhosting930.com/?p=867

     

     

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • Our ultrasound was also off by more than a pound. Maybe your baby flipped for a reason so that you could have your vbac and a shot a better recovery. You can change your mind and if you do don't feel guilty about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • If I was in your situation, I would fore go the c/s. With my DD I had an emergency c/s that while recovery was not bad, left me with a lot of emotional baggage that I am still having difficulty with today. She was 9 pounds 6 oz when she was born. I was told by my old OB that I could not VBAC, that my pelvis was to small for such big babies blah blah blah.... I promptly found a new OB. I fully intend to VBAC with the next one.
  • Personally, I think I would be kicking myself if I didn't try... I would also have that "what if" hanging over my head.  Worst case scenario (aside from medical emergencies) is you labor, push, and can't get the baby out resulting in a c-section anyway.  Are you prepared to go through labor even if you can't be successful?  Or is it worth a shot, so you know if you can do it or not?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagenosoup4u:

    imagebabyroot2:
    no, I just jumped the gun and thought "hey, I can meet my baby at 39 weeks instead"...I questioned my decision almost immediately :-/

    Aw, you can call them back tomorrow and reschedule it! It seems like you do want to try for VBAC (but this is over the internet, on a public message board, so I could be wrong :)). 

    I agree- if you are not sure you want to do it at 39 weeks, just reschedule it.  It is not carved in stone.  But take a few days to really decide what you want and are comfortable with.  Good luck!

    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"