Illinois Babies
Options

Babies R Us in Chicago Area - Are All Stores Created Equal?

The closest BRUS to me is in Niles...and every time I have been in there (mostly to buy shower gifts for friends) the place is a total shambles and help is hard to find.  I need to go register, and sadly BRUs is the place to do it as it is most accessible to friends and family in the midwest who are uncomfortable with ordering from Amazon, our other registry site.

So my question is this...has anyone had better expereinces with the store in Schaumburg or Naperville?  I will drive an hour to register if it will save me from what I think the disorganized Niles store experience will be like.

Thanks for your opinions!

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
BFP #2 2/2011
Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Babies R Us in Chicago Area - Are All Stores Created Equal?

• Options

The Naperville store on Rt 59 is always in pretty good shape when I visit - and I've visited a lot. I'm a bit of merchandising/customer service snot (thanks to my job) and I've never had any issue with returning. Its always clean, well stocked and organized. 

I also love the Buy Buy Baby for that reason. Both the Batavia and Downers Grove stores rock.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options
    I'm with you on this. The ONLY reason I am registering is to make is easy for family to buy things at an actual store. But as I was looking on BRU, 90% of what I would register for on there, is only available online. A friend recommended Buy Buy Baby, and even though I have not been to the store yet, most of the stuff I am looking for is available in locations near my family in Michigan, so I am excited about that! Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i've been to the Niles one a couple of times and didn't think it was too bad; the Schaumburg one is OK too but they really don't compare to Buy Buy Baby, which is SO organized and clean and ... love going there!

all that said, we ended up registering at the Schaumburg one bc my doctor is in Schaumburg (work there, live in city) but we didn't spend much time in the store and ended up doing most of the registering online. much easier.

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    They just built the one on Western attached to TRU.  Have you been there?
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The Niles store is TINY compared to the other ones because it's mostly Toys R Us.  I've spent many hours in that one and others, and Niles has very little compared to the other ones.  It's great if you need to pick something up or check something, but I wouldn't register there because you'll be missing out on a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We registered at Buy, Buy, Baby because of the good things I've heard about that store and the bad things I'd heard about Babies R Us.  BBB is known for having a very knowledgeable staff and good customer service, while BRU is known for the opposite.  Is BBB an option for you?  Also, the Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons for 20% off can be used at Buy, Buy, Baby as long as they aren't expired.  I've been passing that message along to everyone because most people don't seem to know that.

Kailyn Jean Born August 6, 2011 (3w6d early) imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Planning Bio
  • Options

Buy Buy Baby is awesome!  So clean, so organized, so knowledgeable about products.  I highly recommend over BRU.  Their return policy seems much easier- as long as it was on your registry, they will take it back without questions. 

Plus, Bed Bath & Beyond coupons work here!  

• Options

I have the same impression of the Niles store... so cluttered and not organized at all.  I'm not familiar with the Naperville one, but I think that the Schaumburg BRU is much better than the one in Niles.  For one thing, it's nowhere near as messy.  It's a bigger store, too.  I find their customer service to be okay, too, even though it's not as good as the customer service at the nearby BuyBuyBaby.

• Options
    Anyone know if you can use the Bed Bath & Beyond coupons on ANYTHING at Buy Buy Baby? Even strollers? If so...I'm sold!
  • Options

imageTarastar33:
    Anyone know if you can use the Bed Bath & Beyond coupons on ANYTHING at Buy Buy Baby? Even strollers? If so...I'm sold!

it says what items you can't use it on at the bottom of the coupon... pretty sure some of the bigger ticket strollers are on that list.

click the pic (blog)
  • Options
    Yup....my stroller is on "not valid" list :(  But the place in general sounds great. Can't wait to check it out!
  • Options

I dreaded registering at Babies R' Us because I have never felt like I've had a good experience at their stores when purchasing items for friends.  I've mostly shopped at the Schaumburg store, but we registered at the Niles location. I was really annoyed with the service that I didn't even bother scanning anything and everything I've picked I've done so online. I think the website for Babies R' Us is almost as frustrating as the stores' set up. 

I also registered at Buy Buy Baby and find it to be more customer friendly.  It is unfortunate that there aren't many stores just yet and so most people gravitate to the Babies R' Us registry.  That's the only reason I registered at Babies R' Us.  

• Options
    I loathe this store!  I live in the city, about a 4 minute drive from this store location and often drive the extra 15 -20 minutes north to the Niles store which, in comparison is much, much nicer.  The Western store is tiny, poorly stocked and my experience with the staff has been that they are uninformed and unhelpful.  I do stop in just for the sheer convenience and every time I do, I regret it.  
  • Options
    imageMargauxGreen:

I also love the Buy Buy Baby for that reason. Both the Batavia and Downers Grove stores rock.  

The buybuybaby in schaumburg is great! I suggest it over BRU! They have much more stuff!

• Options
    The Naperville BRU has an advisor that you can schedule an appointment with and she will walk around the ENTIRE store with you and talk you through everything and what is recommended, what you REALLY need, etc.  We spent just under 3 hours with her but after we were done I felt very educated and comfortable with the decisions we made (i.e. car seat, high chair, bottles).
     Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The BRU in Lombard is pretty nice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageChris&Jillshow:
    I loathe this store!  I live in the city, about a 4 minute drive from this store location and often drive the extra 15 -20 minutes north to the Niles store which, in comparison is much, much nicer.  The Western store is tiny, poorly stocked and my experience with the staff has been that they are uninformed and unhelpful.  I do stop in just for the sheer convenience and every time I do, I regret it.  

I agree, the Western store is always understaffed with frustrated workers and always looks a mess.  I only go there because it's so close and I don't go out to the suburbs much.  I'll probably go out to Schaumburg to register though, just in hoping for a better experience.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ........ born 11/16/11 at 36 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 6 oz
  • Options

Ditto.  The BRU on Western is a disaster and we always have customer service problems, esp when we try to use coupons.

We make the trek out to Schaumburg probably once a month to go to BuyBuyBaby.  Plus, there's a much nicer BRU right near BBB, further west on Golf road.  This BRU will also take BuyBuyBaby coupons for most things, though the one in the city will not.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"