VBAC

OB gave me go ahead to try for a VBAC after FTD

I'm so excited! And nervous... She did suggest a c-section but said there is no medical reason I can't try for a VBAC if I want... I will schedule a RCS as a "safety net" for the day befor emy due date (which is on a Saturday).

Praying for a properly positioned baby this time around... still have 35 weeks to get him/her there! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


Pregnancy Ticker

Re: OB gave me go ahead to try for a VBAC after FTD

  • That's great but if you really want a VBAC, I think you should look for someone else.  The fact that your OB suggested a c/s and wants to schedule your RCS for the day before your due date tells me she's not really supportive of you having a VBAC.  I mean, she's not even giving you until your due date--that doesn't give you much opportunity to avoid a c/s.  
    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    That's great but if you really want a VBAC, I think you should look for someone else.  The fact that your OB suggested a c/s and wants to schedule your RCS for the day before your due date tells me she's not really supportive of you having a VBAC.  I mean, she's not even giving you until your due date--that doesn't give you much opportunity to avoid a c/s.  

    Way to rain on my parade, LOL!  I was pleased with the schedule- she couldn't schedule me on my due date since it's a Saturday, and my water broke 3 days prior with DD (I know anything can happen this time though).

    To tell you the truth- I am scared to try A VBAC b/c as a VBAC candidate with FTD, I only have a 40% chance of success.  I had a large baby and although her head position wasn't optimal, it still doesn't mean my pelvis is adequate to birth another baby her size or even larger (case with second babies).  So, odds are stacked against me already that I may not succeed with a VBAC anyway.

    BUT, I am willing to give it a shot if the opportunities are right.  Thanks for posting those article links in the other post I am definitely checking them out :) 

    Also- I'd love to hear your experience 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you obviously still have time to decide which route you'd want to take, but in all honesty your odds of a c/s are high with a doc like that unless the stars align just right.  Who gave you those odds and spoke of your pelvis possibly not being big enough?  Just food for thought.

    I had a ftd c/s and ended up with gd this time around and still managed to have a very easy vbac at 40w1d to an 8 lb. 11 oz. girl and there are plenty of others on here with even bigger vbac babies. 

    Sorry, crabby baby right now, but I'll be back to finish!  :)

    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry to add to the negativity, but it is really early to schedule a c section imo.  And I think it is odd that the ob is against working on a saturday.
  • I agree with what everyone else said. My VBAC baby was 2+ lbs bigger than my first, who I pushed with for 4+ hours. Positioning has a lot to do with successful vaginal birth.

    If your water broke, did your labor start in its own, or was your labor induced? Because induction could have also been a factor in your c-section. Read the links iris shared! And good luck!

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • maybe the hospital doesn't allow scheduled sections on a Saturday. Not that her OB won't work a Saturday
  • imageiris427:
    That's great but if you really want a VBAC, I think you should look for someone else.  The fact that your OB suggested a c/s and wants to schedule your RCS for the day before your due date tells me she's not really supportive of you having a VBAC.  I mean, she's not even giving you until your due date--that doesn't give you much opportunity to avoid a c/s.  

    Ditto all of this.  We aren't trying to bring you down or discourage you at all, but just keep in mind that you won't necessarily go into labor early with this LO just because you did with your first.

    What was the reason your OB gave for scheduling the c/s right now?  Why won't she let you go past your due date?  I'd assume that if a medical need for a c/s arose in the next 35ish weeks, there would still be plenty of time to schedule a section.

    You have a lot of time to think about this.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebeachgirl1977:
    maybe the hospital doesn't allow scheduled sections on a Saturday. Not that her OB won't work a Saturday

    This is the case for my hospital. I can't schedule an elective surgery on a holiday or weekend - so in my case if I hit 41 weeks and no baby, we're going to end up with a rcs on the thurs or fri before labor day weekend (heh).

    That said, we're not scheduling anything until I at least get to my due date. So I wouldn't be feeling great about my OB if she had me scheduled for the day before my EDD - assuming I was decided on wanting a vbac.

    The important thing though is that you're comfortable with the plan at the end of the day. 

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • lkf041lkf041 member

    imageiris427:
    That's great but if you really want a VBAC, I think you should look for someone else.  The fact that your OB suggested a c/s and wants to schedule your RCS for the day before your due date tells me she's not really supportive of you having a VBAC.  I mean, she's not even giving you until your due date--that doesn't give you much opportunity to avoid a c/s.  

    I couldn't agree with this more!  I wanted to VBAC with #2 and was given the "can't go past my due date" restriction.  Well, it ended in a RCS 1 day after my due date and I had to fight for that extra day.  This time around I found a dr. who is willing to let me go to 41 weeks and that's for a VBA2C. 

    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with pps- she doesn't really sound that supportive of VBACs. "Safety net" RCS to me means closer to 41 or 42 weeks.

    And I'm curious as to where you heard 40% success rate? I haven't read a success rate that low anywhere.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for all your posts.  I didn't even think to ask about going past my due date... RCS is typically at 39 weeks which is why I think she suggested a schedule on my due date, but since it is a Saturday (hospital does not allow elective c-sections to be scheduled on a Sat). she suggested the day before.

    Now I now to ask about going past my due date... good think I started the process so early.  

    Another quick Q- she is in a practice of 5 docs and I am not sure about how the others feel about a VBAC. I am sure this is important to know since she won't necessarily deliver... do you think this is grounds to look for a new doc?  I do know of another smaller practice that some friends go to that fully support VBAC. 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lkf041lkf041 member
    imageKSimone619:

    Thank you for all your posts.  I didn't even think to ask about going past my due date... RCS is typically at 39 weeks which is why I think she suggested a schedule on my due date, but since it is a Saturday (hospital does not allow elective c-sections to be scheduled on a Sat). she suggested the day before.

    Now I now to ask about going past my due date... good think I started the process so early.  

    Another quick Q- she is in a practice of 5 docs and I am not sure about how the others feel about a VBAC. I am sure this is important to know since she won't necessarily deliver... do you think this is grounds to look for a new doc?  I do know of another smaller practice that some friends go to that fully support VBAC. 

    Check into your local ICAN chapter https://www.icanofatlanta.com/  

    They can refer you to a doc that is vbac friendly, I emailed my chapeter and they sent a list out right away to me, very helpful.  Good luck!   

    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageKSimone619:

    imageiris427:
    That's great but if you really want a VBAC, I think you should look for someone else.  The fact that your OB suggested a c/s and wants to schedule your RCS for the day before your due date tells me she's not really supportive of you having a VBAC.  I mean, she's not even giving you until your due date--that doesn't give you much opportunity to avoid a c/s.  

    Way to rain on my parade, LOL!  I was pleased with the schedule- she couldn't schedule me on my due date since it's a Saturday, and my water broke 3 days prior with DD (I know anything can happen this time though).

    To tell you the truth- I am scared to try A VBAC b/c as a VBAC candidate with FTD, I only have a 40% chance of success.  I had a large baby and although her head position wasn't optimal, it still doesn't mean my pelvis is adequate to birth another baby her size or even larger (case with second babies).  So, odds are stacked against me already that I may not succeed with a VBAC anyway.

    BUT, I am willing to give it a shot if the opportunities are right.  Thanks for posting those article links in the other post I am definitely checking them out :) 

    Also- I'd love to hear your experience 

    Who told you this?  Your chance of having a VBAC after FTD is at least 60%. 

    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKSimone619:

    Thank you for all your posts.  I didn't even think to ask about going past my due date... RCS is typically at 39 weeks which is why I think she suggested a schedule on my due date, but since it is a Saturday (hospital does not allow elective c-sections to be scheduled on a Sat). she suggested the day before.

    Now I now to ask about going past my due date... good think I started the process so early.  

    Another quick Q- she is in a practice of 5 docs and I am not sure about how the others feel about a VBAC. I am sure this is important to know since she won't necessarily deliver... do you think this is grounds to look for a new doc?  I do know of another smaller practice that some friends go to that fully support VBAC. 

    To ME it would be reason enough to look for another provider, especially if there is one near you that is recommended by friends and pro-VBAC.

    I think some providers are not necessarily anti-VBAC but also won't go the extra mile to make sure you have every chance at a successful VBAC. It just depends on what YOU want, and how you feel about your provider.

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehonkytonk_kid:
    imageKSimone619:

    Thank you for all your posts.  I didn't even think to ask about going past my due date... RCS is typically at 39 weeks which is why I think she suggested a schedule on my due date, but since it is a Saturday (hospital does not allow elective c-sections to be scheduled on a Sat). she suggested the day before.

    Now I now to ask about going past my due date... good think I started the process so early.  

    Another quick Q- she is in a practice of 5 docs and I am not sure about how the others feel about a VBAC. I am sure this is important to know since she won't necessarily deliver... do you think this is grounds to look for a new doc?  I do know of another smaller practice that some friends go to that fully support VBAC. 

    To ME it would be reason enough to look for another provider, especially if there is one near you that is recommended by friends and pro-VBAC.

    I think some providers are not necessarily anti-VBAC but also won't go the extra mile to make sure you have every chance at a successful VBAC. It just depends on what YOU want, and how you feel about your provider.

    Yes and it's not even about going the extra mile.  A VBAC mom shouldn't be treated all that differently from a non-VBAC mom.  If your provider is imposing all kinds of restrictions on you to have a VBAC, despite medical evidence to the contrary, then they may not be anti-VBAC but they may not really support it either.

    For example, studies show that VBAC is still safe for moms past 40 weeks.  So if your provider is scheduling you a cesarean at 39w6d but is letting non-VBAC moms go to 41 or 42 weeks, maybe they aren't the best option for someone who wants a VBAC.

    Of course it all depends on how OK you are with having a RCS.  In the end, you need to do what feels best for you. 

    image

    Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    imagehonkytonk_kid:
    imageKSimone619:

    Thank you for all your posts.  I didn't even think to ask about going past my due date... RCS is typically at 39 weeks which is why I think she suggested a schedule on my due date, but since it is a Saturday (hospital does not allow elective c-sections to be scheduled on a Sat). she suggested the day before.

    Now I now to ask about going past my due date... good think I started the process so early.  

    Another quick Q- she is in a practice of 5 docs and I am not sure about how the others feel about a VBAC. I am sure this is important to know since she won't necessarily deliver... do you think this is grounds to look for a new doc?  I do know of another smaller practice that some friends go to that fully support VBAC. 

    To ME it would be reason enough to look for another provider, especially if there is one near you that is recommended by friends and pro-VBAC.

    I think some providers are not necessarily anti-VBAC but also won't go the extra mile to make sure you have every chance at a successful VBAC. It just depends on what YOU want, and how you feel about your provider.

    Yes and it's not even about going the extra mile.  A VBAC mom shouldn't be treated all that differently from a non-VBAC mom.  If your provider is imposing all kinds of restrictions on you to have a VBAC, despite medical evidence to the contrary, then they may not be anti-VBAC but they may not really support it either.

    For example, studies show that VBAC is still safe for moms past 40 weeks.  So if your provider is scheduling you a cesarean at 39w6d but is letting non-VBAC moms go to 41 or 42 weeks, maybe they aren't the best option for someone who wants a VBAC.

    Of course it all depends on how OK you are with having a RCS.  In the end, you need to do what feels best for you. 

    Thank you again for your help.  I think I'll schedule an appt./interview with the other OB practice (which is only 2 women and both are pro-VBAC) and see how it goes.  Plus, the hospital is 2 miles away vs. 14 :)

    I'm still nervous as can be... so glad I have this board to bounce some thoughts off of! 

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"