3rd Trimester
Options

How long does it take for iron to kick in?

So I passed my 1-hour glucose test only to find out I have anemia. The doctor told me to start taking iron with lunch, which I am and have been for three days, but I am still so wiped. Between naps and everything I slept 12 hours yesterday. I was also so hungry yesterday I literally got tired of eating (and I made sure to eat an iron-rich food every time).

So, anemia survivors, how long does it take for the extra iron to give me a boost? 

BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211

Re: How long does it take for iron to kick in?

• Options
    I've been taking my iron supplement for about 2 weeks and within the last 3-4 days have finally noticed a difference. I'm not feeling sleepy constantly any more, despite the crappy sleep I'm getting at night due to the heat.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm still waiting and i've been on iron for 5 or 6 weeks now. Of course it could be just 3rd tri exhaustion for me... Hope it gets better for you soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It took a couple of weeks for me.  However, when the exhaustion finally lifts, it's wonderful!  Hang in there.  I hope you get to feeling better soon.
    BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    I'm sure your doctor already mentioned, but for those who don't know.. make sure you are NOT taking your iron supplement or prenatal with vitamin C containing drinks, i.e. orange juice.  It decreases how much iron is absorbed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagecraitie:
    I'm sure your doctor already mentioned, but for those who don't know.. make sure you are NOT taking your iron supplement or prenatal with vitamin C containing drinks, i.e. orange juice.  It decreases how much iron is absorbed.

Other way around actually, definitely take your Iron with OJ- a lot of the iron supplements already have it (vitron C for example) so you're covered but you need extra C to absorb iron better.

Hope you get some more energy soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    s00zs00z member
    imagemmhorn79:

imagecraitie:

Other way around actually, definitely take your Iron with OJ- a lot of the iron supplements already have it (vitron C for example) so you're covered but you need extra C to absorb iron better.

Hope you get some more energy soon!

In addition to taking your iron supplement with OJ, I was told to NOT take it with milk. Calcium interferes with iron absorption. HTH! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! That gives me some hope. I heard about the Vitamin C thing, so I took a vitamin C with my iron today (my doula recommended a little extra c in the 3rd trimester to stay away from the dreaded GBS).  I hadn't heard about the calcium thing and I do tend to eat a lot of dairy around lunch, so that stops now for sure.
    BFP #1 05/11/10 Natural m/c 05/17/10 BFP #2 12/07/10 Natural m/c 12/12/10 BFP #3 01/21/11 Taking Prometrium, Baby Aspirin, and two injections of heparin a day Lightning Bug was born a healthy and happy 7lbs 14oz on 9/20/211
  • Options

Also, if you eat Tums like it's your job like I do, it blocks iron absorption.  GL, hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    I was told by my doctor to take my iron and vitamin with oj actually.
  • Options
    Whoops!  I was thinking of Calcium...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Floridix (sp?) actually comes with vitamin C. You can get it at a health food store. Not sure where you live, but I bought mine at Henry's. Also, remember to eat an Iron-rich diet. Don't just rely on supplements.

My midwife explained that red blood cells regenerate every 28 days, so it can often takes that long for you to notice changes. Don't quote me on this, though. It was a while ago and I may not remember it correctly...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"