Postpartum Depression
Options

Has anyone been diagnosed with PPD and does NOT take meds? LONG

I'm not sure if I have PPD. I just know that something is a little "off". I have an appointment with my OB/GYN in 2 weeks, and I know I want to talk to her about this. As I said, I'm not sure if it's PPD.

I know I've been under a LOT of stress, and this may be from that or it may not. I lost my job in December of 2008 due to budget cuts. I tried to find a job, sending out HUNDREDS of resumes, networking, and working temp jobs. I found out, unexpectely, that I was pregnant in April of 2010. We had not planned on having another baby until after I'd gotten a job, but I love my son unconditionally even if he was unexpected. My DH ended up having to sell his business because we couldn't live on my unemployment and his seasonal business, and he took a job -- that he likes -- that is full-time, year round. We were foreclosed on because we just couldn't keep up. Luckily the mortage and title were in my name only, so we've transitioned into something new based on DH's credit. I've been back at work full-time since 2 days before DS's 8 week birthday, even getting a job back in my field at a promotion from where I was when I lost my job.

But here's the thing: DH and I fight a lot. He says I've changed a lot since DS was born. I think he's changed, too, but I'm not sure if that's me denying my short temper/mental state. DH even told me that I've got anger issues and I should see a counselor. I think HE needs to see one, if I need to see one, but again, how much is this me projecting? I know I'm not as patient as I used to be. Some of that is a result of stress, some because I'm at a tipping point with my skids (yes, there is a LOT going on here!). I'm not sure I like who I've become in the past few years.

I love both of my boys (DH and I have 2 sons together. DH has 2 kids from a previous marriage who live with us at least 50% of the time.). I would do anything for them. I miss being away from them every day I'm at work. I feel teary often, I know I get angry and lose my patience. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. But here's my question again: Has anyone on here been diagnosed with PPD and does NOT take meds? I hate the idea of taking meds. I rarely even take Motrin (which is what I can take while BFing). Has anyone successfully dealt with PPD without meds?

Any advice is appreciated.

ETA: I wanted to note on here that I'm not against meds if they are a necessity. I don't want anyone to think that I'm judging people who take meds. I personally do not like the idea of taking any kind of medication, but if it is deemed necessary, I will. I just wanted to see if anyone was successfully dealing with PPD without meds. Please forgive me if I unintentionally offended anyone.

Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with PPD and does NOT take meds? LONG

• Options

I'm so sorry to hear that you're dealing with this.

Unfortunately I can't offer you the advice that you're looking for. I am on 6 medications (pritiq and abilify primarily) and they have saved my life. I understand the thought of not wanting to take meds, but I just wanted to say to be open to it - because if you have a chemical imbalance, you need the meds to correct it. THat being said, I think PPD can be dealt with without meds if it is mild enough, which may be your case. I wish you the best of luck, it is hard no matter if you take meds or not. :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am currently reading a book called The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding aand came upon a section on PPD. It suggests a book called Non Pharmacologic Treatment for Depression in New Mothers by Kathleen Kendall-Tackett.

I dont know anything about the book, but figured I'd pass the info along.

Best of luck. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

After the birth of my son 3 years ago, I developed PPD. My doctors immediately wanted to put me on antidepressant and I like you really didn't love the idea. I think I was in a bit of denial too and thought I could just fight it. As my son's first year went on the PPD slowly got worse. I still didn't want an antidepressant but I was having terrible anxiety. I didn't know where to turn. Finally I ordered Lucinda Bassett CDs on depression and anxiety and started taking her Good Days supplements. I soon began to feel better. 

However I would absolutely go on an antidepressant if I could go back and do it again. I suffered longer than I needed to. After having 2 m/c this year I had to go on an antidepressant. For me and so many other women the hormones surrounding pregnancy can really be the tipping point for depression. I know this now and realize it's a normal chemical imbalance and can be treated. The antidepressant I took after my m/c just made me feel normal again. I think 3 years ago, I was afraid of the meds because I thought they would make me feel like a zombie or something. They don't do that.

Hope this helps. You have some major stresses in your life and it is completely normal to feel the way you do. Good luck and I'm around if you need to talk.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had an appt with the nurse practitioner at my OBs office when I realized I had PPD again (had it after my son was born 4 years ago).  She doesn't like recommending antidepressants immediately and told me to:

- do whatever it takes to get more sleep as I was suffering sleep deprivation

- take walks out in the sun

- start taking a b-complex supplement, fish oil, and vitamin D in addition to my prenatal vitamins as they've all shown that they can help your moods

She gave me a prescription for 10 zoloft if I felt I absolutely needed them before I can see my Dr. this week.  So far, I'm just doing the supplements until I know my Dr. will write  a full prescription for the zoloft.  Definitely don't want to start taking it and then risk withdrawal if he won't give it to me.

• Options
    Thanks ladies. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm sure part of it has to do with the fact that at almost 29 weeks old, DS has had ONE night in which he slept through. Sleep is DEFINITELY NOT overrated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"