VBAC

VBAC - only issue is overweight?

RobynKRobynK member

I just had an appointment with my MFM yesterday and she gave me this resource to help me get educated on a possible VBAC.&nbsp; <A href="https://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html">https://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html</A>&nbsp;</P>
<P>I'm not sure if I use pp weight or pg weight but I get either 49% (which is a "no go" for a VBAC for my doc) or a 60% which is borderline.

My first/only previous pg was twins, neither were head down and I had pre-e so I had a c/s (liver was failing FAST).&nbsp; It's nearly 3 years between deliveries and it seems my only "factor" against me for a VBAC is my weight.

Has anyone been successful with being overweight as your only "factor" and having a VBAC?&nbsp; Using the link above do you know if I should use pp or pg weight?

TIA -- just trying my best to get educated and make a decision.&nbsp; Not sure if family history makes any difference but my 2 sisters and mom all had successful vag births.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: VBAC - only issue is overweight?

• Interesting link.  But, I don't understand why 49% is a no-go for your doctor?  If I had 49% chance of winning the lottery, you better believe I'm buying a ticket.  I just did my calculation too and I was feeling pretty good about my 57% chance. 

Based on the story of your last birth, it seems like you would be a good candidate to at least try a VBAC.  It's unlikely that your singleton will be breech.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was 175 pounds and 5'7" when I got pregnant this time.  So being overweight wasn't my only issue b/c I ended up with GD this time, but none of it stopped me from having a VBAC.  I find it odd that they use a formula like that (I've seen it before and quickly dismissed it since it didn't tell me what I could accomplish). 

DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I could never tell if they wanted pre-pg or pg weight, either, it would help if it was clearer! 

imageRobynK:

<P>I'm not sure if I use pp weight or pg weight but I get either 49% (which is a "no go" for a VBAC for my doc) or a 60% which is borderline.

Is your doctor using this as her only guideline for whether you can VBAC or not? Like someone else said, 49% is not a bad chance of success.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• RobynKRobynK member
    imagenosoup4u:

I could never tell if they wanted pre-pg or pg weight, either, it would help if it was clearer! 

imageRobynK:

Is your doctor using this as her only guideline for whether you can VBAC or not? Like someone else said, 49% is not a bad chance of success.

It's just a guideline for us to have a discussion.  She's trying to help because I'm honestly on the fence and cannot decide what I want. I just wish I could make up my mind!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hey, Robyn... What I did when pg with w is planned on a vbac as long as my body did it by the due date. My doc would let me go to 41 weeks, but I didn't want to push thing, so had a c/s scheduled for 3 or 4 days after my due date.  My doc said nothing about weight being a possible issue, i think i was at 190 right around my due date.  My doc won't induce, so as long as you present in labor they will do all they can to follow for a vbac. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There are studies (sorry, I'm not good at providing sources, but they are out there) that state that overweight women have a higher c-section rate and that if you gain more than 40 lbs during preganancy your VBAC chances decrease.

I believe that the studies are correct.  However, I believe that the reason overweight women (and I am one of them) have a higher c-section rate is b/c doctors don't have faith in them and see them as weaker, out of shape and unable to push their babies out.  I don't believe it really has anything to do with the actual weight. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"