VBAC

Considering a VBAC after failure to descend

I am expecting #2 and had a c-section with #1 after a regular labor and 2 1/2 hours of pushing.  Reason for c-secion was failure to descend... OB thought she could have been a forehead presentation which lodged her in my pelvis.  DD was also large at 8#8oz.

I would like to consider a VBAC but am concerned if it truly was an anatomy issue (small pelvis plus a large baby) I won't be successful and will have the same disappointment as the first time around.

Has anyone accomplished a VBAC with a similar situation?  I would love any advice you can give.... TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Considering a VBAC after failure to descend

• I'm in the same position as you (very similar first birth) and I like to think our chances are decent.  Next time, I am going to get a doula, walk around more, change positions, try to avoid being stuck in the bed, and advocate for myself.  A doula friend of mine also said that the first birth was practice, so that our bodies may do better with the second.... I don't know if it's true, but I like to think positive.

There are definitely bumpies on here who have had VBACs after FTP and FTD.  There are also those who tried, and still had the same outcome.  If I end up with an RCS, I don't think I'll be as disappointed, because I'm much better prepared.  I know more and I plan to create a better situation for myself.  If it still doesn't happen, I think it will actually make me feel better about my first.  If it truly turns out that my body is not made to push a baby out - then I can stop feeling guilty and angry about my first birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for your response and I wish you the best as well.  As I mentioned, I am terrified to go ahead with a VBAC and then result with a c-section anyway.  It was exhausting- physically and emotionally.  I look forward to seeing how things work out for you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Me! I had a straightforward labor with DS1, until I pushed for 4+ hours and he still wasn't out. They did an u/s and it was determined he was posterior, and in a bad position to even try a vacuum, so it was a c-section for him. He was 8 lb 4 oz. 

I had a VBAC with DS2 last October, he was 10 lb 10 oz, and came out just fine (I did have a 2nd degree tear, though). I did push for 2 hours, but that's still within the range of normal for a first-time vaginal birth.

A lot of women on here had failure to descend as the reason for their intial c-section, but a good amount of those were because the baby was in a bad position.

I was hyper-aware of DS2's position when I was pg with him, I went to a chiropractor regularly, and I biked and swam to stay active. Who knows if any of those things got him in a good position, but they didn't hurt anything. And I felt like I was doing everything I could to get him in a good position. I definitely had fears about my attempt turning into a RCS, but I know I would have regretted not at least trying for a VBAC.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:

Me! I had a straightforward labor with DS1, until I pushed for 4+ hours and he still wasn't out. They did an u/s and it was determined he was posterior, and in a bad position to even try a vacuum, so it was a c-section for him. He was 8 lb 4 oz. 

I had a VBAC with DS2 last October, he was 10 lb 10 oz, and came out just fine (I did have a 2nd degree tear, though). I did push for 2 hours, but that's still within the range of normal for a first-time vaginal birth.

A lot of women on here had failure to descend as the reason for their intial c-section, but a good amount of those were because the baby was in a bad position.

I was hyper-aware of DS2's position when I was pg with him, I went to a chiropractor regularly, and I biked and swam to stay active. Who knows if any of those things got him in a good position, but they didn't hurt anything. And I felt like I was doing everything I could to get him in a good position. I definitely had fears about my attempt turning into a RCS, but I know I would have regretted not at least trying for a VBAC.

Thank you for sharing your story.  You have given me hope!  I'm not pregnant with #2 yet, but when I am, I *really* want to attempt a VBAC.  My son's birth sounds almost exactly like yours (3+ hours pushing, posterior position, average sized baby--7 lbs. 7 oz.), so thank you for your encouraging story of your successful VBAC.  Congrats :-)

• imagecchill01:

I'm in the same position as you (very similar first birth) and I like to think our chances are decent.  Next time, I am going to get a doula, walk around more, change positions, try to avoid being stuck in the bed, and advocate for myself.  A doula friend of mine also said that the first birth was practice, so that our bodies may do better with the second.... I don't know if it's true, but I like to think positive.

There are definitely bumpies on here who have had VBACs after FTP and FTD.  There are also those who tried, and still had the same outcome.  If I end up with an RCS, I don't think I'll be as disappointed, because I'm much better prepared.  I know more and I plan to create a better situation for myself.  If it still doesn't happen, I think it will actually make me feel better about my first.  If it truly turns out that my body is not made to push a baby out - then I can stop feeling guilty and angry about my first birth.

I also want to ask... how was your recovery from the tear vs. csection recovery? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageDaisy41459:
    imagenosoup4u:

Me! I had a straightforward labor with DS1, until I pushed for 4+ hours and he still wasn't out. They did an u/s and it was determined he was posterior, and in a bad position to even try a vacuum, so it was a c-section for him. He was 8 lb 4 oz. 

Thank you for sharing your story.  You have given me hope!  I'm not pregnant with #2 yet, but when I am, I *really* want to attempt a VBAC.  My son's birth sounds almost exactly like yours (3+ hours pushing, posterior position, average sized baby--7 lbs. 7 oz.), so thank you for your encouraging story of your successful VBAC.  Congrats :-)

This is pretty much how my c/s birth went and I had a VBAC with a baby who was properly positioned and slightly larger than my first.  GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first was FTP; I pushed for 3+ hours, he was posterior and was 9 lbs 9 oz. With #2 I went into labor the day I was scheduled for my RCS and when I showed up at the hospital, the doctor (who had all along been telling me I was not a good VBAC candidate) randomly suggested trying the VBAC. Three pushes and he was out. Ta-da! #2 was 8 lbs 8 oz (but the doctor had been guessing he was almost 10 lbs before he was born and he still went with the VBAC) and was not posterior. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"