VBAC

Any one have a successful VBAC with a narrow pelvis? (sorry-kind of long)

moocow12moocow12 member

DH and want to start TTC again in September but I had an unpleasant c-section experience with DD and am not looking forward to a RCS.

I reluctantly consented to an induction at 40wks 3days at the urging of my Dr.  She thought the baby was too big (she wasn't) and it looked like the cord was wrapped around her neck at the last ultrasound (it wasn't). I also had been having non painful yet consistent contractions for the past 4 days with no progress.

I labored over 40 hours after the start of pitocin and finally fully dilated 12 hours having my water broken.  I pushed for 2.5 hours during which the baby moved down into my pelvis, got stuck then went back up. She was coming out face up.  At that point the doc suggested a c-section and I agreed.

At my 6 week pp check up I asked my doctor how she felt about VBACs and she said she does encourage them, but in my case she would advise a RCS.  She said that my pelvis is narrow and slightly abnormal and the only way I would be able to have a successful natural birth is if the baby is really small.  My DD was 7lbs 7oz so it's not like she was big.

I had resigned myself to believe that a RCS is my only option and at first all my research on my situation did not elevate my hopes any.  Then I stumbled across this article.  https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pelvis.asp>

So has anyone been told that they can not VBAC due to anatomy issues and still go on to have a natural birth?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any one have a successful VBAC with a narrow pelvis? (sorry-kind of long)

• I would think you have a good chance for a VBAC for a few reasons:

1.  It sounds like you may have still gone into labor on your own, but just needed more time.  At least you were having some contractions.

2.  Your baby was sunny-side up.  Chances are good that the next baby won't be.

3.  It's really hard to diagnose a "narrow pelvis."  The pelvis and baby are designed to make room for birth.  Your next baby may have no problems moving down.

I would keep doing research and come up with your own conclusions.  But, I think you'll find yourself wanting to look for a new doctor.

• Me!

My c/s was pretty much exactly like what you described--face up baby, 2 hours of pushing, etc.  My daughter was 7 lbs 10 oz and my OB told me my pelvis was too small to have a VBAC unless I had a preemie.

I found a new OB and had a VBAC with my son.  He was 7 lbs 12 oz.  I should mention that I am only 4'10" and 90 pounds pre-pregnancy.  I'm so glad I got a second opinion and went for the VBAC.  It was important to me to at least give it a try.

Your baby's position probably had a lot to do with why your baby got stuck.  There are a bunch of us on here who had c/s with OP (face up) babies and then had no trouble having a VBAC. There are studies showing that when OP babies are manually turned, the c/s rate drops significantly--this tells us that the baby's position can have a big impact on whether a mom delivers vaginally or not, and it has nothing to do with her pelvis size.  Even if your next baby is also OP, there are options besides just doing a c/s.  You can try laboring on all fours, doing lunges, using the rebozo technique or having the baby manually turned.  And OP babies can be born vaginally.

Studies also show that at least 60% of women who had a c/s for CPD (cephalopelvic disproportion aka your pelvis is too small) are able to have a VBAC.  This suggests to me that CPD is way over-diagnosed.   This is a good link to look at for encouragement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFVkDV45MM

and here is some info on CPD

https://ican-online.org/vbac/cephalopelvic-disproportion-cpd 

HTH and GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the encouragement and information.  I have a lot of research ahead of me, and thankfully I have the time since I am not even pregnant again yet.  I really love my OB/GYN, but if she is not on board 100% with trying a VBAC, I do believe I will have to find a new doctor- which does sadden me a little.

I also let DH talk me out of getting a doula last time, but I will definitely stand my ground this time.  

• I just wanted to add: I am 5'4" and 118 pre-pregnancy and I am very narrow.  I gave birth vaginally to a 7lb 1oz baby AND a 7lb 14oz baby!!!  My 7lb 10 oz baby (my 3rd) was sunny side up and acynclitic so I had to have a c-section.  So I know for a FACT I can birth babies bigger than she was....it was her position that made it impossible.  10 hours of labor and 3+ hours of pushing, sound familiar?

Oh and I am having an HBAC this September :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"