VBAC

Appt today, would you be concerned?

lkf041lkf041 member

So I had an appt today and was chatting with another lady in the waiting room who had a 6 week old with her.  We got on the discussion that I was planning a VBA2C and she said she just had a RCS because her doctor (also my doctor) recommended it due to her son's estimated size, she was planning a VBAC.  He was born weighing 8 lbs 14 oz... my DS was 8lbs 7oz and DD weighed in at 9lbs 6oz.  Now I'm starting to get nervous that he may try to do the same with me.  This lady went past her due date but only by 3 days before he had her schedule a RCS. I was told I could go to 41 weeks.  

So my question is would you be concerned? I already hired a doula and plan to never schedule a C unless medically necessary.  I'm hoping this lady just didn't care and went ahead with everything.  I care and plan to voice that.  WDYT?

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Appt today, would you be concerned?

  • I wouldnt be conerned but a little annoyed because size estimation is not a reason for a rcs and its a shame these doctors want a rcs because of size estimation. They are not always accurate. But its also your choice at the end of the day YOUR CHOICE (i wish i couldve told myself that) and you already said unless its medically neccesary you wont schedule a rcs. if it is brought up then you will already be prepared to say no to a rcs (if offered) after hearing what his other patient was recommended, which he more than likely will do if baby is measuring large especially if you are a vba2c and she was just attempting a vbac. There are many who had a vbac with large babies. As long as you stick to your plan you should be fine. You have a doula and birth plan so a great start and support system thus far. Gl i cant wait to hear your birth story as i may consider a vb2c at the same hospital in the future!
  • lkf041lkf041 member

    imagerena5498:
    I wouldnt be conerned but a little annoyed because size estimation is not a reason for a rcs and its a shame these doctors want a rcs because of size estimation. They are not always accurate. But its also your choice at the end of the day YOUR CHOICE (i wish i couldve told myself that) and you already said unless its medically neccesary you wont schedule a rcs. if it is brought up then you will already be prepared to say no to a rcs (if offered) after hearing what his other patient was recommended, which he more than likely will do if baby is measuring large especially if you are a vba2c and she was just attempting a vbac. There are many who had a vbac with large babies. As long as you stick to your plan you should be fine. You have a doula and birth plan so a great start and support system thus far. Gl i cant wait to hear your birth story as i may consider a vb2c at the same hospital in the future!

    Thanks... I think just hearing stories like that can throw you for a loop.  I am sticking to plan and honestly will not schedule a rcs even if 41 weeks comes and goes.  I just really thought this doc was VERY supportive of a vbac but now not sure what to think... guess we'll see what he throws at me as I get closer to the end.

    DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • also my ds was 8lbs and 7oz I was huge my dd was 7lbs and 4oz and I looked way bigger with her and she was always measuring big 2 weeks ahead and they even said she was going to be a huge baby..but she wasnt..which is why you cant always go by that estimated size when they measure your belly or even u/s. I mean considering your previous babies size you may have another baby around those weights but what if they say you will and you actually dont and went with a rcs..as before big babies can have a chance to be born vaginally whether its a vbac or not..just let it go in one ear and out the other and stick to your plan of 41 weeks.
  • I wouldn't be concerned.  maybe the dr. was concerned about her pelvis size.  I'd like to think dr.s base vbac candidacy on an individual basis. (i know i am being naive.)
  • I wouldn't be too concerned.  I think a lot of people are looking for a reason not to VBAC.  Not all potential VBACers are as "extreme" as us on this board.  I had a friend who said she wanted to VBAC, but it was half-hearted.  So, when she ended up with an RCS, it was not a surprise. 

    I would go over your plans with the doctor again and make sure they are still good fro 41 weeks, even if you're measuring 9lbs.  And the doula is a great idea.

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"