VBAC

XP from Sept11: New OB and VBAC option.

My OB retired this week due to a heart condition, forcing me to change OB's at 30 weeks. I met the new OB today, and was presented with options that I did not have with my first OB, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choices now.I had a c-section because they estimated my DS at 11 pounds. I wasn't fine with it at the time, but I have since come to terms with having had the section, and I was planning to have a RCS this time as well. My old OB was older, and didn't do VBAC, and I was ok with that. Being diagnosed with GD, I fully expected to have another, and today was told otherwise.I was told that I am a candidate for a VBAC, which I should have asked what makes someone not a candidate, but I didn't. He said that you can not be induced for a VBAC, you can not have pitocin, and because of GD, I can not go past my due date.  I need to let them know at my next appointment if I want to schedule or attempt for a VBAC. I truly have no idea what I want to do. Part of me wants to do it, part of me doesn't. It would be so much easier to come home from the hospital to a toddler after a vaginal birth, this I'm sure of, but the rest, I'm not sure of. If you are having a VBAC or a RCS what made you decide one way or the other?Thanks! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP from Sept11: New OB and VBAC option.

• I would let the new options settle in your mind for a bit.  Research VBACS, the benefits and the risks.  Fortunately, you don't really have to decide right this minute.  They'll want you to schedule the RCS, whether you're trying for a VBAC or not.  Operating room schedules are very loose, so no harm if you have a VBAC and don't need the appointment or need to change it.  

I have a few reasons I am pursuing a VBAC.  One is being with my toddler ASAP, two is I don't want to have major surgery again, three is I want an easier recovery, four is I want to prove myself.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, that is a lot to chew at 30 weeks!  I can say that there were many reasons that I wanted to VBAC.  The main reason was that I really didn't want to have major surgery if I didnt NEED major surgery.  I was ready and willing for a c/s if it was medically necessary (same as with my first pregnancy) but that was the only reason.

For me personally, VBACing was great.  I was induced but baby came out with no issues. An hour after delivery, I had taken myself to the bathroom, showered, and changed into my own clothes and had plenty of relaxing cuddle time with the new baby.  Within 24 hours, I had discharged from the hospital and I was home with both of my children:-)  All of those were reasons for the VBAC.

I'd suggest doing some research and going to your OB at your next appointment with a list of questions.  Is it an option to schedule the c/s for the latest they allow and if you go into labor prior to that then try for the VBAC?  Good luck with your decision! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMAprincess:

I'd suggest doing some research and going to your OB at your next appointment with a list of questions.  Is it an option to schedule the c/s for the latest they allow and if you go into labor prior to that then try for the VBAC?  Good luck with your decision! 

I think there's evidence that shows if your GD is well-controlled, then you don't have any higher risks going past 40 weeks than a low-risk woman, but I'm not 100% on that. 

My biggest reason for VBAC was I really, reeeally didn't want to go through another c-section. And the other big reason was that I'm not comfortable with the risks that come with having more than two c-sections (it goes up with the more you have), and I wanted to keep the option of having more than two kids open.

Like cchill said, you can always schedule the RCS, but tell them you want to do VBAC while you're researching and deciding. I think I had a harder recovery than most women who have had vaginal births, but it was still easier than the c-section recovery with my first son, but I still don't regret attempting VBAC at all!

Some good links:

https://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10210

https://givingbirthwithconfidence.org/2-2/a-womans-guide-to-vbac/

Good luck deciding!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"