VBAC

Do you consider VBACers "extreme"?

I was reading one of the threads about whether people think we need a c/s board on TB.  Several people suggested that people with c/s questions could ask over here but someone mentioned that we were a little "extreme" in our beliefs.  Thoughts?

Personally, my "extremism" is in knowledge.  I don't care if a woman decides to have a c/s or a VBAC as long as they have taken the time to educate themselves on both and not just blindly followed whatever a medical provider says.  I think at our age, we know that not all doctors are created equal and (unfortunately) some are driven by legal reasons.  This is why there is such thing as a second opinion, right?  But for me, it really bugs me when people take either decision lightly.  Knowledge is key, for me. 

But I don't see myself as a person who would try to "force" a VBAC on anyone nor do I look down upon people who have c/s's.  I'm happy to answer c/s questions.  I don't think we all have horror stories (as some others on the thread suggested) and I think that many of us researched so much that we know the pros and cons of both decisions.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image

Re: Do you consider VBACers "extreme"?

• I don't think anyone here is "extreme".  Most posters on this board are obviously trying to avoid another c/s, but I haven't seen anyone say "c/s is a poor choice".

In fact, no one here has tried to talk another poster into a vbac over a c/s.  Opinions are always given as requested, but always followed up with something along the lines of "It's ultimately your choice."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think some people are** - there are always extremes and I see it a lot on the bump. The thing that bothers me is there seems to be an automatic assumption that someone who opts for a repeat c/s hasn't already done their research or made an informed decision. That drives me BSC.

Not necessarily on this board btw - I think people are pretty level headed here. I just mean in general on the site/in life. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • image+diana82+:

I think some people are** - there are always extremes and I see it a lot on the bump. The thing that bothers me is there seems to be an automatic assumption that someone who opts for a repeat c/s hasn't already done their research or made an informed decision. That drives me BSC.

Not necessarily on this board btw - I think people are pretty level headed here. I just mean in general on the site/in life. 

I totally agree.  People are free to make their own decisions as they see fit.  I guess I was just surprised that people were describing this board as a whole as "extreme". I like to think we give relatively unbiased opinions either way.  Maybe some people who already know they don't want to/can't VBAC for #2 and want to ask RCS questions think they can't come here.  But there are plenty of RCS people here too!

• I'm happy with how unextreme this board is.  I think we tend to be honest and to the point--we talk a lot about childbirth risks, bad doctors, birth trauma.  We're not shy about telling someone to find a new doctor or that they are getting wrong information.  So maybe that comes across as extreme to people, but I don't think it is.  

Also why in god's name do people want more boards on this site?? There are a ton of people on tons of boards on the bump (and the nest for that matter) that could answer any question about c/s.  It doesn't need its own board.  A c/s is not exactly uncommon.  VBAC is uncommon, which is why we have our board. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Personally I would like a c-section board. I don't think VBACer's are "extreme" but for someone who is not totally 100% sure on a VBAC it would be nice to talk to RCS moms as well. It's uncomfortable asking people who are hoping for a vaginal birth questions/concerns about RCS. I have posted about RCS on the trimester/month boards but honestly there are not a lot of RCS moms out there who see the posts or are willing to comment on the question. C-sections are common but so are miscarriages, infertillity, baby showers and baby names. All of these things could be posted under the trimester boards but they're not they get their own board. I think there are special concerns that come with c-sections/RCS and a board where just those moms could go and post would be nice. The least The Bump could do is try it out for a year and if it isn't worth it or no one posts on it, fine take it away but I am willing to bet people would be surprised.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think we're extreme - but those of us who are here daily are definitely commited to having VBACS or talking about VBACs.  I would agree that the Bump  needs a C/S board.  There are lots of C/S topics that don't involve VBACS.  I had pain, infection, scar massage, OR experience questions that really didn't fit anywhere.  I asked those questions on 0-3 months, but there are so many other topics there.  Like others said, it couldn't hurt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As a lurker who is very annoyed by extremism, I can say I don't find this board extreme at all.  But I would like a c-section board, for the reasons PPs mentioned.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • imagecchill01:
    I don't think we're extreme - but those of us who are here daily are definitely commited to having VBACS or talking about VBACs.  I would agree that the Bump  needs a C/S board.  There are lots of C/S topics that don't involve VBACS.  I had pain, infection, scar massage, OR experience questions that really didn't fit anywhere.  I asked those questions on 0-3 months, but there are so many other topics there.  Like others said, it couldn't hurt.

This is true- I had many of these things also.  I guess what i am saying is that if people had these types of questions, everyone here has had at least one c/s already and may be able to answer.  It is true that no one here is planning for and committed to a RCS, though.

• I've "met" more extreme personalities on my birth month board than on this board.  It seems that the ones that I've met on my Aug 11 board are the anti-cs.  We are all concerned that medical professionals will occasionally resort to scare tactics, but these extreme anti-cs advocates that I've "met" resort to their own brand of scare tactics.

Whether or not a cs board would be beneficial, I don't know.  But, it could be worth a try.  After my cs last time around, there were no questions that I had that I couldn't pick up the phone and ask my OB.  Occasionally, there would be a helpful Bumpie who'd been through the same thing, but for the most part I left my surgical questions to the professionals.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I do agree there should be a c section board.  I really want to vbac, but I am not even pregnant yet, while I am ready dh isn't.  But I have many questions/concerns post cs that I would like to discuss, and I think a csection board would have more people around who still remember the aches and pains.

I don't really think people are extreme, I know I really really want to avoid a csection, but then again who wants their abdomen cut in half without pain relief.

• Goodness, if people think this board is extreme, they definitely wouldn't like any other VBAC boards. I've been on a few and they do tend to be extreme, but this one is not. I would have been flamed off of many others for saying some of the things I've said here. Things like I believe my c/s was necessary (*gasp!*) or I would consider having another one in different circumstances (*shock!*). I got told off for calling my c/s a "birth" on one board. There definitely are extreme VBACers, but this board? No.

I did read a post from someone a while back that basically thought anyone who gave two shts about their birth experience was BSC, so I guess if that's your opinion, then there are lots of extreme people here. I think it's more extreme to write everyone off simply for having emotions, but maybe that's just me.

• I will admit that before I had my experience, I didn't understand why people cared if they had a c section. And I thought all that I read about birth plans, and "taking back your birth experience" was sort of stupid, not that I would have said anything to anyone.  Now I get it, big time, and we were never put in any danger.
  • imagelorryfach:

Goodness, if people think this board is extreme, they definitely wouldn't like any other VBAC boards. I've been on a few and they do tend to be extreme, but this one is not. I would have been flamed off of many others for saying some of the things I've said here. Things like I believe my c/s was necessary (*gasp!*) or I would consider having another one in different circumstances (*shock!*). I got told off for calling my c/s a "birth" on one board. There definitely are extreme VBACers, but this board? No.

I did read a post from someone a while back that basically thought anyone who gave two shts about their birth experience was BSC, so I guess if that's your opinion, then there are lots of extreme people here. I think it's more extreme to write everyone off simply for having emotions, but maybe that's just me.

Yes and yes. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"