VBAC

Talk me into a VBAC

I had a c/s with DS 14 months ago because he was breech and my bp shot up and his heart rate dropped. It wasn't a walk in the park, but I kind of always envisioned having a c/s because my mom had 4 of them. I think I want to try for a VBAC this time around, but I'm scared. My MIL is a midwife and says that I can do it and I'm a perfect candidate, but I think I just need some encouragement. Plus it didn't help this weekend when my SIL said to just do another c/s becasue "why ruin another part of your body". So talk me into a VBAC!

Re: Talk me into a VBAC

• If a RCS was definitely as safe as a vaginal birth, then I would choose it without even a doubt. I don't care whether a baby comes out of my vagina or my abdomen and I, too, don't want to ...well...potentially ruin another part of my body!

But, unfortunately,a c-section isn't quite as safe for mom or for future pregnancies. Now don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible choice..it's not a terrible danger, but statistically, it does seem to be a little more dangerous for mom. 

And, yes, a VBAC can be slightly more dangerous for baby, but....I do believe it is actually less dangerous for the baby to VBAC than for a mom to RCS...because the dangers can be controlled better. They can watch you closely, not induce you, do a preemptive c-section if you and the doctors start to think you are heading towards a c-section anyway. Things like that. 

To me, I am more scared of the unknowns of a VBAC, but I am terribly nervous about purposely going in for a RCS. However, most moms that still do die from birth....whether it be vaginal or c-section...usually do not die right away. It is usually a couple of days or a week PP, so I think the best thing is to be vigilant about your health. Don't just assume you are really tired, etc. 

Right now, I am scheduled for a RCS in my 40th week; if I go into labor before that, I'll VBAC. It's the best compromise I could come up with because they both sound good and they both sound potentially bad! It really does come down to what you truly think is best....neither one is inherently a bad choice or a good choice in and of itself. 

But, if you didn't even have any potential anatomy issues with your first birth then you do sound like a really good candidate for VBAC! The only concern some doctors might have is the time frame between your two children, but I'm not quite sure. Is your scar the low uterine incision? It probably is and if so, that is of course, even better and less likely to rupture. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Someone on here has some great links to help you decide, but I just wanted to say that "not ruining another part of your body" is the dumbest reason to walk into major surgery.  I VBACed and everything is fine down there, thank you:-)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Being pregnant changed down there for me.  Sex hurt really bad for the longest time, and other issues.

And I still have a lot of aches and pains from my c section.  My misplaced spinal has my back always in pain.  I can't even rock my baby to sleep my back hurts so bad.

A big reason I want a vbac is the ability to care for the new baby, and my baby now afterwards.  I couldn't get out of a chair/or bed without help or on the first try for weeks.

• I don't really believe in talking people into birthing decisions. Both VBAC and RCS are reasonable and safe options for most women, and I don't have a dog in the fight unless it's my birth, yk? Unless you're planning to do your own c/s or something totally insane, it's all good.

But I do understand from experience not really knowing what to do and which way to go. My two big considerations:

- My care providers. In my case, VBAC is the default at my hospital, and I'd have had to make a case for an elective RCS. I know in the States, it's usually the other way around, but it depends who you're seeing. What do your care providers think should happen and how big of a deal is it if you think differently? Would you need to see someone else altogether? 

- My older daughter. She was 25 months when I gave birth. I knew she wouldn't really understand my recovery and why I can't pick her up, etc. A VBAC recovery is typically easier than a c/s one, though there are no guarantees. For me, this paid off for sure. I felt amazing pretty much immediately. I went home on my own two feet four hours after delivery. 

• I don't have a ton of facts to throw your way.  I have done tons and tons of reading and know things just from reading but I'm not good at citing sources or stats.  I'll just tell you why I'm choosing VBAC and you can take it for what its worth.

With my first birth my birth plan was go into labor, get an epidural, push the baby out, go home.  Well, that didn't go as planned.  First my water broke and so I rushed right to the hospital.  Today knowing what I know I would have stayed home and worked on natural ways to get labor going (nipple stimulation, walking, etc).  

Instead, when I got to the hospital the doctor came in and said since I wasn't haven't strong contractions they wanted to start pitocin.  (I was having contractions on the monitor but they were not painful--I was also already dilated to a 4 which is amazing considering I had had no noticeable contractions).  The only thing I remembered from my birthing class about pitocin was that it made the contractions unbearable and since I was planning on an epi anyway I told them I wanted the epi before the pit and they agreed. 

I labored overnight, sleeping on and off until I was completely dilated around 5am.  I could feel nothing.  I was completely numb from my waist down, couldn't even wiggle my toes.  I felt no urge to push and baby was still at a -2 station but they told me to start pushing anyway. 

I pushed numbly for 2 hours, guessing when I was having contractions by the monitors but still not really sure what I was doing.  After 2 hours they turned my epi off so I ccould feel when to push better.  Well, all I could feel was excruciating pain.  I was a screaming, crazy mess.  That went on for another 2 hours and baby still was not engaged.  The OB finally showed up (she had been "busy" this entire time), checked me without telling me she was going to.  I yelled "what are you doing?" and she said "there's an easier way" and left.  I saw her next in the OR. 

The nurses then told me I was going to have a c-section.  That was no where on my radar.  After all of that effort they were going to cut my baby out.  I cried hysterically and was still having the most intense contractions all the way to the OR when the anesthesiologist (sp??) finally got there to give me more medicine. 

They did the surgery and when DS was born they held him over the curtain for me.  I reached up to touch my baby and was yelled at not to.  They then took him to the NICU since he had a fever (which I guess is somewhat normal for a baby whose mommy has an epi for a while).  They gave me more drugs after surgery and I fell asleep for several hours. 

About a week after the birth I developed a horrible infection in my incision which required a 2nd surgery around 4 weeks pp.  Finally around 10 weeks pp I felt back to normal. 

So for me, my cs was the worst experience of my life.  I would do anything to avoid this process again.  Now, in all likelihood, my experience would be exponentially better if I chose to have a RCS.  But I have researched, I have attended the ICAN conference, I have read every book that anyone has recommended to me about VBAC and natural birth and this time things are going to be on my terms and are going to be different. 

Sorry that got so long winded!  Good luck with your decision.

• Thanks for the replies! I am seriously considering VBAC. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. My doctor told me my safest option would be a RCS, but he would be ok if I wanted a VBAC. What he told me I could do was to schedule a RCS and see how my pregnancy goes. If it's going well then I can do VBAC. My last pregnancy had me on bed rest for the last month, so as long as that doesn't happen again I think I'm in the clear.

• imagelorryfach:

I don't really believe in talking people into birthing decisions. Both VBAC and RCS are reasonable and safe options for most women, and I don't have a dog in the fight unless it's my birth, yk? Unless you're planning to do your own c/s or something totally insane, it's all good.

But I do understand from experience not really knowing what to do and which way to go. My two big considerations:

- My care providers. In my case, VBAC is the default at my hospital, and I'd have had to make a case for an elective RCS. I know in the States, it's usually the other way around, but it depends who you're seeing. What do your care providers think should happen and how big of a deal is it if you think differently? Would you need to see someone else altogether? 

- My older daughter. She was 25 months when I gave birth. I knew she wouldn't really understand my recovery and why I can't pick her up, etc. A VBAC recovery is typically easier than a c/s one, though there are no guarantees. For me, this paid off for sure. I felt amazing pretty much immediately. I went home on my own two feet four hours after delivery. 

I just have to say, how awesome is this??? In a country where VBACs are not allowed in many places I find it incredible to find a country where VBACs are the default. 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"