Single Parents

Last name

I know this gets discussed a lot but here I go...

I gave my son my last name. It was never even a discussion and I do not regret it at all. In the custody papers I was served, EX states that "for the best interest of the child" - he wishes Wyatt's last name be changed from mine to his. I got upset and told him over my dead body will that happen and he said he'll leave it up to the judge and its just a coin toss. Whats the likely hood that will happen. I'm thinking none but I would LOVE some reassurance.

He lives out of state, visits inconsistently, and I have no idea how changing his last name from mine would be of his better interest.

Everything else in the papers is also crap so I cant wait to talk to my Lawyer Tuesday and get a mediation set up.. He wants 2 visits a month and for me to pay for 1/2 of them, he is also asking for a modification in CS so he can afford more visits.. He lives in Florida.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Last name

• i don't have any experience with this but i'll definitely be lurking to see how it goes for you. i plan to give my daughter my last name (since my ex refuses to compromise on hyphenation and I don't want to solely give her his last name). and this seems like the type of move he'd pull.

keep us posted and best wishes to you

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • First, it's very hard to get a child's name changed. BOTH parents have to agree. Since you are the primary caregiver it is highly unlikely it will be changed so you shouldn't have anything to worry about there.

Second, what do you mean by "pay" for 1 of the 2 visits?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • By pay, I mean buy the tickets to fly Wyatt down to FL. Which means I have to fly down myself and same for the return flight. He wants this to happen 1x a month. It is financially impossible especially with him wanting to reduce child support. Not to mention I can not take a weekend off a month from work to fly to fl. This is soooo stressfull.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJCGreene85:
    By pay, I mean buy the tickets to fly Wyatt down to FL. Which means I have to fly down myself and same for the return flight. He wants this to happen 1x a month. It is financially impossible especially with him wanting to reduce child support. Not to mention I can not take a weekend off a month from work to fly to fl. This is soooo stressfull.
    He is the one that moved to Florida right? Most of the time it is the parent that chose to move away from the other that is responsible for figuring out the transportation. I also doubt they would lower CS so he could afford more visitation. That is the price he has to pay for moving.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm not by any means a legal expect, but I highly doubt any judge would order you to change the child's last name. To me it seems like a silly request to even make especially since her name has already been established. I will be giving my son my last name as well! I hope everything works out for you - good luck!

https://chroniclesofababymama.blogspot.com/

First time mama-to-be! Due to have a BOY on November 24, 2011! :) www.ChroniclesOfABabyMama.blogspot.com
  • I'm in this same situation. I got served with papers saying ex wants DD's last name changed to his. It's just ridiculous because he hasn't wanted anything to do with her until now.

But definately let us know how it goes, but I'm almost positive both parents have to agree to it.

DD1 born 11.23.10
    DD2 born 4.16.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"