VBAC

Home VBAC

plunderbplunderb member

Has anyone here done a home VBAC?

I ask because I got burned by my midwives last time. I was supposed to have a med-free, birth center birth, but had some complications (large ovarian cyst, polyhydramnios, PUPPs, and 10-pound baby (I'm 5'2'')). I was ok with scrapping the original plan, but I kept the only rock-solid requirement in my birth plan: keep me informed of what is going on. That did not happen.

My midwives partner with our hospital, so they attended me during labor (induction @41 wks, 64 hours total, 28 on pitocin, epidural at hour 52). Once it was clear I would need a c-section (DD could not drop down, possibly blocked by cyst), they totally abandoned me. They left me alone in a c-section that went all wrong (insufficient epi, loads of morphine, 2.5 hours of surgery, blood transfusion) ? even when my midwife came into the OR to check, she just talked to the surgeon, didn't even come over to me until I called her and then told me nothing. I didn't know til days later that they had removed one of my ovaries. And not because anyone told me ? my mom overheard nurses and I had to confront a doctor for confirmation.

So screw that. Not going to that practice again.

I live in a major urban area with lots of hospitals and midwives and birth options. I'm never going back to my local hospital if I can help it, but am looking into other midwifery practices and possible home VBAC options. Has anyone done the home VBAC? Any advice? warnings?

Re: Home VBAC

• I'm so sorry that happened to you.  You deserve better care and it's awful that you were not treated with more respect or kept informed.

I had a HBAC in April and I'm so happy I made that choice. I know I would have felt a lot more stressed in a hospital and I had every confidence in my home birth provider to handle unexpected situations.  My advice is to really look into your options and be upfront with care providers about what you want.  

GL. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a hospital VBAC so I can't speak to the home option other than I totally respect the women who go that route.

Just wanted to say that I am sorry about everything that you went through and hope that your next birth experience is much more positive!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Ah, jeez, that sounds horrible! I'm sorry they did that to you. My c-section wasn't as traumatic, but my son was unexpectedly hospitalized afterwards, and I had a hard time with going to a hospital for my VBAC. It ended up ok, but I understand where you're coming from.

My sister had an HBAC, and ended up hiring a traveling midwife for it. PM me if you want more info. Definitely possible, and good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• No advice, but just wanted to say I can't blame you in the least. After all of that, I wouldn't want to go back to them either.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow, so sorry! Was this at the Cambridge birthing center? I was looking into this place but heard horror stories, so decided to stick with Emerson Hospital, in Concord. Hoping to VBAC there next time. I hope you find a great midwife for a HBAC!

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• imageokate0213:
    Wow, so sorry! Was this at the Cambridge birthing center? I was looking into this place but heard horror stories, so decided to stick with Emerson Hospital, in Concord. Hoping to VBAC there next time. I hope you find a great midwife for a HBAC!

Yep, that's the place. 

I'm lucky in that I have flexible insurance and a lot of local options, so I am looking into other nearby hospitals/midwives. I wish I could go back to CBC because I live literally down the street, but I get a little nauseous just walking by the place.

Thanks for all the positive comments, ladies. I'll probably lurk around here until I'm ready to TTC again.

• I am so sorry about your experience and you have every right to be angry.  Just be careful that you're not making the choice for a home VBAC out of anger.  I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you have pre-existing conditions that could make a home VBAC dangerous.  My DH keeps having to remind me that the #1 goal is a healthy Mom and a healthy baby - the experience and proving myself has to be #2.  I'm glad I have him around to ground me.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagecchill01:
    I am so sorry about your experience and you have every right to be angry.  Just be careful that you're not making the choice for a home VBAC out of anger.  I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you have pre-existing conditions that could make a home VBAC dangerous.  My DH keeps having to remind me that the #1 goal is a healthy Mom and a healthy baby - the experience and proving myself has to be #2.  I'm glad I have him around to ground me.  

For sure. I don't really think I have anything preexisting, but I would definitely get medically cleared before trying a home birth. The cyst was a most likely a one-time thing and no two ultrasound techs could ever agree about the polyhydramnios. The only thing that's likely to happen again is the big baby ? my siblings and I were all giant as well. The funny thing is that my DD is 9 months old and just under 19 lbs, so she's pretty average size. I don't know why she felt she had to grow so much before birth ? no GD or anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"