August 2011 Moms
Options

So stressed out! Should I cancel my baby shower?

My best friend offered to throw me a coed baby shower several months ago. She already sent out the invites and the shower is 7/10. She just texted me saying that she's overwhelmed and gave me a to do list of things needed for the shower. Initially it was just going to be sandwiches, punch, tea, etc. Then she decided to do a big BBQ at my house and now she wants me to get sausages, hotdogs, bottled water, a canopy for my backyard, charcoal, forks, knives, cups, keg, ketchup, mayo, etc for burgers. I'm not sure how to handle this. When she offered to throw it for me I was very grateful and excited and now a week away I'm completly stressed. Part of me wants to just cancel it because it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars to get everything that she's asking me to get. I would say forget the keg and BBQ but she put that it would be here on the invite. I have nothing for the baby and he's due next month! I would rather buy stuff that we need for the baby than throw a party. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: So stressed out! Should I cancel my baby shower?

• Options
    uh, your friend needs to get those things. There is NO WAY the guest of honor should be responsible for anything but getting addresses to the hostess and showing up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:
    uh, your friend needs to get those things. There is NO WAY the guest of honor should be responsible for anything but getting addresses to the hostess and showing up. 

This!

Seriously, if she is going to do this, it is better to cancel and get your baby's stuff rather than all that crap.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would let her know you are grateful but you where not expecting to be buying all the food supplies. Let her know that you won't be able to and see what she says.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I would let her know that when she offerred to host, that meant she was covering the cost of the party. If its at your house, its enough that you have to clean. If she can't cover the cost of throwing the party, she shouldn't have offered to host it. In any case, she can always scale it down or cancel it if she can't handle it. You should have no cost associated with a party being thrown in your honor. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

It would suck to have to cancel, but you don't want to be the one to have to supply everything. I would say just do your own "meet the baby" BBQ sometime after your baby gets here and just use the money (that your friend wants you to spend on supplies) for stuff for the baby.

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow...just wow! I am FLOORED that she would call YOU up and ask YOU to help out. I would just talk to her and tell her what everyone else has suggested and then say but here's my mother's number, sister's number and another close friend's number...maybe they can help out? I can't even believe she would call and talk to you about having you foot ANY part of YOUR shower.
  • Options
    Just had a brain storm... could you do a pot luck style BBQ?? PP asked about calling people up to help, maybe your friend could call up the guests and ask them to bring a little dish along with them to the shower. 
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Is this really your best friend?  So she wants you to essentially throw your own shower now.  She is stressed from sending invites?  Tell her that you thought SHE was hosting and it is better for her to cancel it since it is too stressful.  Did she expect you and DH to man the grill too?  Save your money so that you are able to buy what is needed for your little one.  And the people who are going to give gifts will do it anyway whether you have a shower or not.  My work shower was cancelled because I had a death in my family but people still gave their gifts which I thought was so thoughtful.  And like PP said, you can always host a meet and greet later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    BK33BK33 member

imagemandyhall2882:
    Just had a brain storm... could you do a pot luck style BBQ?? PP asked about calling people up to help, maybe your friend could call up the guests and ask them to bring a little dish along with them to the shower. 

I wouldn't ask guests to bring any food because they are already bringing gifts.  This is your friends responsibility and if she can't handle it she should have called other mutual friends or your mom not you.  Tell her NO

• Options
    imageDuffgurl:

I would let her know you are grateful but you where not expecting to be buying all the food supplies. Let her know that you won't be able to and see what she says.

Start with this and see how it goes.

If she needs some help (we are all overwhelmed and over scheduled these days) give her your mom's, sister's cousin's, etc phone numbers.

If the above don't work, cancel the shower. You don't need the stress.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would let her know you can't cover the cost of the shower and see what she says. You have other responsibilities the big one being making sure you are ready for your baby not a shower. If I was you I would cancel and put my money towards what you still need. Like others have said those who want to give a gift will weather the shower is canceled or not. 
  • Options

Ugh, what a mess.

Still, I think it would be less awkward to email guests and warn them that there won't be a BBQ and beer than it would be to have to email them all and say the party's cancelled.

Why don't you just suggest she (b/c SHE should send the email) say something like "wanted to give you a heads up that after talking to the guest of honor, we decided an all-day bash out in the hot sun was too much to handle at 8 months pregnant, so we're streamlining things and will just have [desserts/snacks/whatever it is she feels like she can handle].  Please plan to eat before or after the party!" and then she just needs to make sure she's not planning any elaborate games or anything that will make the shower last longer than 2 hours from start to finish. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I agree that it would be best to cancel the shower and spend the money on the things you need for the LO. You should not be asked to purchase all of that when someone else offers to throw you a shower. My shower was at my house and the only thing I had to do was make sure our house was clean. 

As for the potluck idea, I think it depends on your group of friends. One of my friends is throwing me a potluck shower because so many friends want to get together for one but no one can afford it themselves. Plus, potlucks are normal within our friends group. I have been to several birthdays with a dish and gift in hand.  

• Options
    megd06megd06 member
    imageWashingtonQueen:

imageMrsGo4Hockeychick:

This!

Seriously, if she is going to do this, it is better to cancel and get your baby's stuff rather than all that crap.

all this. Tell her if this is how it's going to be, you'd rather just cancel the shower. That's completely inappropiate of her to put that on you. A freakin' canopy?? Good grief. The guest of honor does not do that much work for their own shower.

• Options
    I'm interested to see what your "friend" says.  Keep us posted! 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options
    Wow, I am so sorry your friend is such a flake and that you are having to deal with this.  This is your friend's responsibility and she should not have offered if she wasn't able to follow through.  If I had to make the choice between buying things for my baby and paying for my own shower, honestly I would tell my friend that you simply cannot afford to buy the things she is demanding, so unfortunately it looks like the shower will have to be canceled.  It's the truth, and perhaps she will feel guilty and decide to become resourceful in other ways to help pull off a shower for you.  Again, I'm so sorry you're in this situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't updated yet. I have not been able to get a hold of her at all. I've been calling her, texting her and leaving messages on facebook. This is not like her at all. DH seems to think it has to do with her new fiance. She is completly avoiding me. Another friend of mine that was helping her with the shower called me trying to get a hold of her as well. So now my other friend has taken over. Not really sure what is going on. I'm anxious to see if she's going to show up on Sunday.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

imagerachelnicole21:
    Sorry I haven't updated yet. I have not been able to get a hold of her at all. I've been calling her, texting her and leaving messages on facebook. This is not like her at all. DH seems to think it has to do with her new fiance. She is completly avoiding me. Another friend of mine that was helping her with the shower called me trying to get a hold of her as well. So now my other friend has taken over. Not really sure what is going on. I'm anxious to see if she's going to show up on Sunday.

Wow - I am SO sorry your friend is putting you through this. I really hope you can get a hold of her SOON. That is so incredibly rude of her! When you offer someone to throw their shower, you don't just ask them to shed a few hundred dollars for it, much less at the last minute like that!

As far as advice goes, I think you've got some great suggestions here. I think I would go with "Sorry I can't handle all that" and take it from there.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"