Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Potty Training

I think we made a fatal mistake in letting DS pee outside.  We have been potty training for about a week now and he does great going pee inside if he is naked or just wearing shorts.  However if we are outside and he is in shorts he will just wet his pants and not care!!!  Even if I have the potty outside with us and remind him to go pee in it.

At what point do I stop using diapers for nap / bed?  He wakes up dry from naps if he takes a short one, but if it is longer (2+ hours) he is soaked.   He is also soaked when he wakes up in the morning.  I dont want to have to wash sheets twice a day! 

Tomorrow is going to be our first adventure out of the house without diapers!  Should I put a trainer on him or let him go with just shorts?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Potty Training

• Options

It took awhile longer for N to be dry during naps and bedtime. I can't remember how long exactly but I didn't stress about it. I just kept putting him in diapers until he'd had a good stretch without waking up wet and then I just stopped but made sure that there was a pad under his sheets in case of an accident. We only had a couple and now he's dry all the time no question.

As for going out - if you're worried there might be an accident, could you tuck a thin insert into his underwear so if he does have an accident you just end up with wet pants (at the same time teaching him that he can't just pee in his pants anymore) but you don't end up with an embarrassing puddle in the middle of the grocery store that you have to have someone clean up. And make sure you ask him constantly if he needs to go and if it's been a little while, don't ask, just take him!

• Options
    Wait for nap/nighttime until he is consistently staying dry.  It's not a learned behavior. 

As for going out, I'd just bring a ton of extra shorts and take him often.  Depending on what you're doing that is.  If you're shopping, take him before and after shopping at each store. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we still do a diaper at night, though he only wets maybe 1/10 nights. For naps, he always tended to wake up dry, but to save myself from having to change sheets/blanket, I would lay him down/under a fleece blanket. He never had a problem though.

For outings, at first I would just put him in a trim diaper, say it was underpants, and take him potty frequently. After that seemed to be working, I just did undies. He loves to use the potty places like Walmart and the Library, where they have short potties in the family restrooms.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"