Breastfeeding

milk trays

i was reading about storing breast milk and someone mentioned they used sensibleline milk trays. i looked into them and i really like the concept since i have noticed some milk does go to waste in the plastic bags. but i have a few questions for those of you using them or something similar. 1.) when they are frozen and you transfer them, do you transfer them all in to the same container/ bag?2.) how many do you put into the same container/bag?3.) can you open the container to take some out?4.) how do you reheat? the same as bag?anything else i should know?, i want to buy them soon.thanks in advance 

Re: milk trays

• I use them and really like them.  It takes some trial and error to get used to using them and not spilling when you put them in the freezer (the "fill to" lines can be difficult to read until you get used to them).  I freeze them, and then pop them out - they form 1 oz milk sticks.  Then I put the milk sticks into a freezer ziplock bag.  I label the bag with the date of the first milk that goes in, but I usually put about 10-15 sticks (=10-15 ounces) in each ziplock.  Then I just take out the number of sticks that I need.  I use Dr. Browns bottles and the fit in the bottle perfectly.  I just defrost them in the bottles.  The method is the same as if you were using a bag. 

My only advice is that I'm pretty sure that one of the trays that they make for baby food would do the same thing - but for 1/3 of the cost.  I have a tray by green sprouts that I use for baby food and I'm pretty sure it would work just as well - it also makes 1 oz cubes. 

I like the bags b/c I think it's much more eco-friendly, plus they're easy to store and I like the 1 oz portions (for me it = less wasted milk) and ultimately less expensive than buying the individual freezer bags.  I also find the 1 oz sticks to be helpful to mix in with baby food now that my DD is eating solids.

The set comes with 2 trays that make 8 1oz sticks each.  I find that this is plenty since it only takes about 3 hours for the sticks to freeze.  If you buy them make sure that you only hand wash them as some of the reviews mention that they will warp if you put them in the dishwasher.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks i appreciate the advice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi i used this system before but got tired of it since this means id have to transfer to a bigger bag each time it becomes icemilk :) i also noticed that sometimes there are ice crystals forming in each milk stick when theyre already in the bag and i hated it. anyway, it is an economical and environment friendly procedure so i still advocate it. its just that using bags is much easier. anyway i answered your questions below.

imagela_chivita:

i was reading about storing breast milk and someone mentioned they used sensibleline milk trays. i looked into them and i really like the concept since i have noticed some milk does go to waste in the plastic bags. but i have a few questions for those of you using them or something similar. 

1.) when they are frozen and you transfer them, do you transfer them all in to the same container/ bag? yes and then just write a date range in the freezable bag

2.) how many do you put into the same container/bag? depends on the capacity of the bag, around 16 -20 sticks if im not mistaken

3.) can you open the container to take some out? yes of course :) you should not pour to capacity though because it would be hard tp take it out if it is overfilled.

4.) how do you reheat? the same as bag? take the sticks that you need, put it in a big BPA free or glass container and put it in the fridge the night before. it wiill be thawed in the AM.

anything else i should know?, i want to buy them soon.

Well now, im using the milk trays as food trays for my LO. i just use the BM bags for my pumped milk. Works well too! :)

thanks in advance 

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"