Babies on the Brain
Options

Baking tips?

Anyone have any baking tips they would like to share?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baking tips?

• Options
    Anything specific you are curious about?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No, just general stuff. Anything that you have learned the hard way, trial and error, ect.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sub applesauce for oil in anything you bake.  Less calories and makes it more moist.  My only tip. :)
  • Options
    Follow the recipe.
  • Options
    Placing a flower nail in the center of your cake before baking it helps keep it from bulging out like a dome.

Married 11/24/07
    Camille Rae 8/21/10
    Thea Grace's EDD 5/22/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageTheOriginalSP:
    Sub applesauce for oil in anything you bake.  Less calories and makes it more moist.  My only tip. :)

This!  I do this all the time along with using whole wheat flour in just about everything.  It works better with some things than others though.

Also, get familiar with your oven - you can avoid LOTS of problems if you know how your individual oven behaves. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageohashlet:
    Follow the recipe.

I cant help but think of ratatouille. The part where the girl cook is explaining that it is their job to follow the recipe. So it is in a french accent too, lol. Sorry that seems random, but it is DS's favorite movie right now so I watch it a lot.

• Options

imageandrew's wifey:
    Placing a flower nail in the center of your cake before baking it helps keep it from bulging out like a dome.

A what? What is a flower nail? 

• Options
    imagecherokeemomma87:

imageandrew's wifey:

https://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DA27-475A-BAC0-5B9517D6CAF8BB75&killnav=1

It's 3 or so inches long, and the head is about 2 inches wide, I guess.  pour your batter, spray down the nail, then stick the head in all the way (haha, 12 year old boy me is giggling) down until it touches the bottom of the pan.  The point will be sticking out. 

Married 11/24/07
    Camille Rae 8/21/10
    Thea Grace's EDD 5/22/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I generally lurk around here, but my 2 pieces of advice:

#1 invest in an oven thermometer.  I have never had an oven that is truely 350 degrees when it says it is

#2 measure everything precisely.  Baking is science.  GL!

• Options

imageohashlet:
    Follow the recipe.

For sure, Baking is a science!

• Use fresh baking soda/baking powder
    • don't pack the flour in a cup
    • Do not use spreads to replace butter, margarine or shortening one for one in a recipe. Spreads contain less fat and more water, so they will not perform like butter or margarine
    • Don't crowd the oven
    • if you make cookies store in tubberwear with a piece of bread it will keep them nice and moist!
  • Options
    imageandrew's wifey:
    imagecherokeemomma87:

imageandrew's wifey:

https://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DA27-475A-BAC0-5B9517D6CAF8BB75&killnav=1

It's 3 or so inches long, and the head is about 2 inches wide, I guess.  pour your batter, spray down the nail, then stick the head in all the way (haha, 12 year old boy me is giggling) down until it touches the bottom of the pan.  The point will be sticking out. 

That is awesome!! I have never heard of that!! 

• Options
    image*BlackSheep*:

imageohashlet:
    Follow the recipe.

For sure, Baking is a science!

• Use fresh baking soda/baking powder
    • don't pack the flour in a cup
    • Do not use spreads to replace butter, margarine or shortening one for one in a recipe. Spreads contain less fat and more water, so they will not perform like butter or margarine
    • Don't crowd the oven
    • if you make cookies store in tubberwear with a piece of bread it will keep them nice and moist!

Fore realz?  That's a great tip!!

Brought home an extra special souvenir from vacation! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have never greased/ buttered my cake pans, instead I swear by baker's joy spray. Invest in a silpat mat, especially if you are a cookie baker. Bring your butter and eggs up to room temperature before you use them. Like a pp said, a good oven thermometer was a lifesaver in my old oven. Measure everything out before you start baking. Let your cake cool completely before you start to frost, especially is using a buttercream or cream cheese icing (it will melt )...I am married to a chef and bake ALOT, so I hope these help :) oh yeah, baking is an exact science so make sure you measure correctly! Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"