Breastfeeding

How do you go on outings with breastmilk

Also, does it vary if the milk is fresh or frozen? 

We haven't been out with LO yet.  But, we will be out for some of his feedings soon (to doctor appts).  Do I just put the milk in a insulated bag with ice packs?

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: How do you go on outings with breastmilk

• I only use fresh milk.  I have a refrigerated bottle ready that I put in the diaper bag right when I leave.  I BF right before we go anywhere.  If I am going to a restaurant I ask for a mug of hot water to warm the bottle in. 

Milk can be out for several hours & be perfectly fine so I don't bring ice packs unless it's a super long outing oor something, which is rare these days.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I just put a refrigerated bottle in the diaper bag. It stays cool or room temp at the warmest by the time LO is ready to eat.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageschenkertobe:
    I just put a refrigerated bottle in the diaper bag. It stays cool or room temp at the warmest by the time LO is ready to eat.

Does this include milk that has been frozen?

• darmcadarmca member
    I just keep it in the boob and it's ready to go Stick out tongue
  • imagekatie4253:

imageschenkertobe:
    I just put a refrigerated bottle in the diaper bag. It stays cool or room temp at the warmest by the time LO is ready to eat.

Does this include milk that has been frozen?

Yes. Only frozen milk is only good for 24 hours. 

I do the same thing, just be careful that the milk isn't at room temp for more than 6-8 hours

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imagedarmca:

Yep! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I usually put a frozen bag into the fridge if I know I am going out. Sometimes it is fully thawed and I put it into the insulated portion of my diaper bag and sometimes it is slightly slushy but it usually it completely thawed by the time I need it. As long as you are inside somewhere with AC, it should stay cool enough to be ok. You could do a bag with ice packs if you are outside or will be out more then 6 hours. 

The boob isn't always a viable option when out and about. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I EP, so I have fresh and frozen milk...I only really have ever had to use the fresh milk.  If I know I will be gone for an extended period of time, I will bring an insulated bag with an ice pack, but if it's just a couple of hours I just put them in the diaper bag.  I also have a cooler in my car that hooks up to the power outlet so it keeps it cold.

I wouldn't want to bring them in bags, I would be afraid they would pop.  I only use the bags for freezing.  I have a bunch of the cheap evenflo bottles that I use to store the fresh milk, and I would probably put anything in those that I have in bags just to transport. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • darmcadarmca member
    imagereaustin18:

I usually put a frozen bag into the fridge if I know I am going out. Sometimes it is fully thawed and I put it into the insulated portion of my diaper bag and sometimes it is slightly slushy but it usually it completely thawed by the time I need it. As long as you are inside somewhere with AC, it should stay cool enough to be ok. You could do a bag with ice packs if you are outside or will be out more then 6 hours. 

I think that depends on the person. I go to the gym, the grocery store, pharmacy, mall, to my parent's and MILs houses, for walks in the park, and it has always seemed viable to me (I know I'm only 6 weeks PP and you are 3 months but I can't see that changing). 

• imagedarmca:

This!! No muss, no fuss. Always fresh.

• imageBillysbaby722:

imagedarmca:

This!! No muss, no fuss. Always fresh.

This...

• It is sort of lame that people posted that they just take their boobs with them.  Well no $hit.  If my boob was an option, I'd use it.  Obviously it isn't. 

Come on now...

• njh514njh514 member
    imagekatie4253:

It is sort of lame that people posted that they just take their boobs with them.  Well no $hit.  If my boob was an option, I'd use it.  Obviously it isn't. 

Come on now...

It's not lame. Some women don't think that they can really nurse in public and a little encouragement may be all they need. A little reassurance can go a long ways if that's all one needs. You said nothing about that not being an option. That's just my two cents. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagedarmca:
    imagereaustin18:

I usually put a frozen bag into the fridge if I know I am going out. Sometimes it is fully thawed and I put it into the insulated portion of my diaper bag and sometimes it is slightly slushy but it usually it completely thawed by the time I need it. As long as you are inside somewhere with AC, it should stay cool enough to be ok. You could do a bag with ice packs if you are outside or will be out more then 6 hours. 

I think that depends on the person. I go to the gym, the grocery store, pharmacy, mall, to my parent's and MILs houses, for walks in the park, and it has always seemed viable to me (I know I'm only 6 weeks PP and you are 3 months but I can't see that changing). 

I have never, not once in over 11 months, been in a position where my boob hasn't been a viable option when out and about (or otherwise).  I have nursed pretty much everywhere.  Mall, grocery store, restaurant, movie theater, church, daycare, Dr. office/waiting room, aquarium, friends house, park, airplane, airport, DMV, on a tour trolley, hell I have even nursed at an Irish bar, while sitting At the bar.  Just this past weekend I nursed in a Hooter's.  If my boobs are with me, I nurse.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:

It is sort of lame that people posted that they just take their boobs with them.  Well no $hit.  If my boob was an option, I'd use it.  Obviously it isn't. 

Come on now...

It's not lame. Some women don't think that they can really nurse in public and a little encouragement may be all they need. A little reassurance can go a long ways if that's all one needs. You said nothing about that not being an option. That's just my two cents. 

I exclusively pump for a preemie who can only take bottles at the moment.  He can nurse once a day (with a shield) because he hates the natural nipple since he has only been bottle fed.  

If I could just use my boobs to feed him straight up, I would.  But, as of now, feeding is bottle only when we are out.   

• njh514njh514 member
    imagekatie4253:
    imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:

Come on now...

I exclusively pump for a preemie who can only take bottles at the moment.  He can nurse once a day (with a shield) because he hates the natural nipple since he has only been bottle fed.  

If I could just use my boobs to feed him straight up, I would.  But, as of now, feeding is bottle only when we are out.   

Stating this in your original post would've been helpful information. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:
    imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:

Come on now...

I thought "how do you go on outings with breast milk" was pretty clear that I was going out with expressed milk. I also asked about transport of fresh vs. frozen.  So, it still doesn't make sense that people were saying that they just took their boobs with them (unless they just read the question and read nothing I wrote).

• imagekatie4253:
    imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:
    imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:

Come on now...

I thought "how do you go on outings with breast milk" was pretty clear that I was going out with expressed milk. I also asked about transport of fresh vs. frozen.  So, it still doesn't make sense that people were saying that they just took their boobs with them (unless they just read the question and read nothing I wrote).

You don't need to be rude about it and curse at people.

They were just trying to be helpful and encouraging. It's not their fault you aren't in a position to NIP.

You said nothing about having a preemie that needs a bottle in your OP. That would have been helpful and would have kept you from getting the NIP responses.

Bag the breastmilk. Take a cooler with an ice pack. End of story. It's not that hard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Are you EPing? If not, just carry the milk in your breasts!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagereaustin18:

The boob is the only thing that is 100% viable when out and about. You don't have to keep it cool, heat it or do anything else with it. You just latch LO on and you are done.  It is so much easier. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagekatie4253:
    imagenjh514:
    imagekatie4253:

Come on now...

Then you should have said so in your OP. We are not mind readers. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"