June 2011 Moms
Options

Holding sleeping baby

I have read a few ladies saying that they don't want people to hold people while the baby is sleeping. This is probably a silly question, but why is that? Do you always have them in a bassinet or crib while they are sleeping? Is a swing OK as well?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Holding sleeping baby

• Options

I think people worry about spoiling them so they won't sleep laying down? 

Lexi won't go to sleep unless she's being held. Once she's asleep we can put her in the boppy or the swing or something, but if I put her flat in a crib or pack n play she's awake in 5 minutes wailing.

For now we're just doing shift work. My husband keeps an eye on her 10p-5a and just brings her to me for feedings. I take her by myself from 5a-Noon so he can sleep. I'm lucky he's home. I have no idea how we would manage otherwise!  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member

No I don't let people hold LO while he is sleeping.  I do not want him to get used to sleeping in peoples arms. (flame away) So as I do not mind him being held but as soon as he falls asleep I have him put down in the cradle, pack n play or crib.  

My opinion is that if he gets used to being held while sleeping these people are not going to be there to hold him at 3 am when he wont sleep and I have to work in the morning. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have been holding Rylee  while she sleeps, but also using the bouncer and pack n play.  I get the argument of not wanting them to get used to being held all the time, but it's just so hard to put her down!  She's so snuggly and loves to cuddle.  I have no willpower lol.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemrsmoore827:
    We have been holding Rylee  while she sleeps, but also using the bouncer and pack n play.  I get the argument of not wanting them to get used to being held all the time, but it's just so hard to put her down!  She's so snuggly and loves to cuddle.  I have no willpower lol.
    I know it's so hard not to hold him all the time.
  • Options

We put Molly down to sleep while she is drowsy but not totally asleep. Sometimes she actually falls asleep on her own, other times I have to pick her back up and rock her or hold her and bounce around for a bit to get her settled. Once she is asleep I put her down. The pediatrician wants us to always put her down awake and let her learn to soothe herself. He also suggested we only use two places to sleep.. and to start putting in her crib during the day time to get used to it. He is kind of old school. I try and do those things, but I do not feel bad if I rock her to sleep or if her dad is snuggling with her while she is asleep she is only a week old. :)

Kind of related.. I did hear something interesting at the hospital, but I cannot remember who told me this bit of info..  when we let babies learn to sleep when it is loud or get used to noises during the day and they can sleep through them, the absence of them can actually wake them up. So, basically, they will sleep through our conversations, the vacuum, the television, etc, BUT once it gets super quiet, they wonder what is going on and are more alert hence babies needing extra attention at night. I have NO IDEA if this is true, but it sounded interesting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have found that my LO sleeps better when he is in his bassinet rather than being held. I will cuddle him for a little while, but I always put him down to finish out his naps. Also, if he is not fussy, I try to put him down while he is still slightly awake so he will not expect to be held/rocked to fall asleep. This doesn't always work, but for the most part, he is quite happy to sleep on his own.
  • Options
    I definitely hold my LO until he falls asleep, I am going to wait a little longer before I try to help him learn to self soothe.  I have posted that I am not crazy about people holding him while he's sleeping.  This is because he doesn't tend to sleep as long or be as well rested when he wakes up.  Generally people holding him are being completely annoying and moving his arms and playing with his mouth and doing other ridiculous stuff to try to wake him up. 
  • Options

I do not like Avery being held when he is sleeping or being held until he is asleep. It is hard but DH and I were in agreement before he arrived that he would be put down awake and would learn to self soothe.  Occasionally people are holding him when he falls asleep, but everyone is aware of our wishes and has been pretty respectful.

We chose to do this as we do not want him to become accustomed to sleep props or things that we will have to "break" him of later. Avery has made this very easy for us as he goes to sleep quickly and is a great sleeper.

• Options
    imagevigurl:

No I don't let people hold LO while he is sleeping.  I do not want him to get used to sleeping in peoples arms. (flame away) So as I do not mind him being held but as soon as he falls asleep I have him put down in the cradle, pack n play or crib.  

My opinion is that if he gets used to being held while sleeping these people are not going to be there to hold him at 3 am when he wont sleep and I have to work in the morning. 

I feel the same way.  

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagevigurl:

i could have written this myself!!!! my husband loves to have C fall asleep on him and then he gets totally upset when i insist he put C in his crib - but it's the same logic - he's not the one who gets up to feed and put C back to sleep  in the middle of the night!

• Options
    kas80kas80 member

I am guilty of letting her sleep on me and I'm already seeing the effects I think in that it's hard for me to put her down and have her continue napping.  At night when we swaddle her she sleeps fine, but I'm trying to designate between night and day by night is when we swaddle, day we do not.

I don't feel guilty though, this phase goes by so quickly and soon enough she won't want to cuddle.  I'm taking advantage now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagevigurl:

exactly this... I could had wrote this myself...

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"