Breastfeeding

EPers - How Long did you breastfeed?

How long have other EPers been able to successfully breastfeed?  I'm killing myself - I pump three times a day at work:  9 am, noon, 3 pm.  Then when I get home at 6 pm.  I wake up at midnight and 5 am to pump and then nurse for 10-15 minutes again at 6 am.  And my supply just keeps going down.  I went from getting 4-5 ounces at a pumping session to only 3 per session.  Meanwhile DD is upping her intake to 6 ounces a feeding.  I'm starting to wonder if its really worth the effort.  Is this just an inevitable side effect of EPing?  Or do some women successfully pump for 6 months to a year?  Also, I've been back at work and doing this schedule for 6 weeks now...  

Re: EPers - How Long did you breastfeed?

• I am a little confused by your question. I consider an EPer to be someone that does not breastfeed at all. Are you always nursing when you are at home or just at 6 am? It is pretty common for your supply to decrease with a return to work, especially if you were nursing before you started working again. I would add in a pump session before you go to bed if you actually have a break between 6 and midnight.

To delete your siggy click on 'my bump' in the upper left corner. It will ask you to sign in again and then there is a small 'edit siggy/avatar' button in the top left.

Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
  • I'm still breast feeding my son is 15 months old.. Currently he's only breast feeding just before bed.. and if he needs a "snack" in the night..

I'm hoping he gets weened off fully soon :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you - I finally got the old siggy to go away!

Maybe I'm not saying it right.  I guess I'm asking how long EPers are able to successfully get milk before they dry up?  I only nurse at 6 am, but I was pretty much always pumping, even before I went back to work.  I planned to stick to this schedule and pump until 6 months, but I'm not sure my milk supply will last that long at this rate.  I was just trying to get feedback from other working Moms who pump how long they've been able to do this successfully?  I'm getting the impression that its not possible to have a long-lived milk supply if you are EPing for whatever reason, but maybe that's wrong?

Also, I do nurse her more on the weekends, but during the week only at 6 am.  I have been skipping the 9 pm session to give myself a break, and that's when I go to bed. I could add it in, I'm just always so exhausted at that time of evening.

• imagelaurenmmc:

Thank you - I finally got the old siggy to go away!

Maybe I'm not saying it right.  I guess I'm asking how long EPers are able to successfully get milk before they dry up?  I only nurse at 6 am, but I was pretty much always pumping, even before I went back to work.  I planned to stick to this schedule and pump until 6 months, but I'm not sure my milk supply will last that long at this rate.  I was just trying to get feedback from other working Moms who pump how long they've been able to do this successfully?  I'm getting the impression that its not possible to have a long-lived milk supply if you are EPing for whatever reason, but maybe that's wrong?

Also, I do nurse her more on the weekends, but during the week only at 6 am.  I have been skipping the 9 pm session to give myself a break, and that's when I go to bed. I could add it in, I'm just always so exhausted at that time of evening.

That makes sense. Obviously I can't really help because I am only 3 months out. I have heard of EPers doing it for 6 months-1 year though. From what I have read around here, it seems like a lot of EPers either barely or don't produce enough, or have an over supply. Have you tried the go-to things to increase supply (fenugreek, oatmeal, etc)? Hopefully someone else has more insight for you. Good luck! 

Hannah born 4/5/11
    TTC #2 since 1/14
    Miscarriage d/t blighted ovum 8/14
  • Monday is 6 months, which was my goal and will truly be an Independence day! I'm pretty much ready to break up with my pump now. I'm a little scared to deal with formula, but I'm ready for my life back, my boobs back, my occasional and rare chance to sleep...

Lots of pumping mamas make it past that too.

EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
  • I was an EPer for dd#1 and lasted 6 mos. i really felt tied to my pump and lacked time with my family :( i was working FT, in grad school FT and pumping FT. Something had to give and I was thrilled to turn to formula at the 6 mos mark.

I was able to nurse dd#2 from the get-go. i pump when at work and 1x a day at home, and nurse as often as she wants. She's 8 mos old.

• It sounds like you're pretty stressed, which is probably contributing to your lack of supply.  It can be done to EP for longer than 6months.  I have no desire to BF or give formula, and I actually don't mind pumping.  It's worked out very well for us.  It can be done, but you just need a LOT of support.

Check out https://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com/ for some tips on EP'ing, maybe there is someone on there who has been pumping longer.  You can also check out La Leche League's forums to get tips. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had plenty of supply when I was at home with the newborn successfully feeding at the breast.  However, when it was time for me to go back to my nursing job, it was difficult to find the alloted time I needed to pump to keep my supply up.  And then the LO got to where he would not feed on the breast and I was solely pumping.  I did try the vitamins like Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle.  This helped some and I was able to find more time to pump when needed but ended up stopping at 6 months because my supply dwindled to maybe an ounce while pumping.  So unfortunately I had to give it up.  Not too long later though I found out I was carrying another LO and now looking back I think that played a part in the quick drop in my supply.  Try the vitamins....maybe they'll help.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I exclusively pumped with DS # 1 and made it to about 5 months with a freezer stash to keep him on BM through 6 months.  The time spent pumping rather than playing with DS just wasn't worth it to me once I went back to work. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I EP with my son and am also going to with this one. I did it for 6 months because that was what I had decided on. It was just over six months to get my supply down. I didn't have a lot but enough for my son. I would pump through the day every 2 to 3 hours and at night after he was old enough I was able to pump right before bed and do it when I got up. You really have to keep up on it during the day though because you will not make enough.
    CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • I'm almost to 5 months EP. I have to supplement my twins with about 8 oz a day from my NICU freezer stash, but I make plenty for one baby. I plan to go to 6 months and drop down morning and night pumps only and take it from there.

If you want it bad enough and put the effort in, it can be done longer. Nothing about it is fun or easy though.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"