1st Trimester

Sushi lovers?!

I love eating sushi (yes the raw kind!) And for some reason this pregnancy I have been craving it more than ever! I am so sad I have to wait another 6 months to eat it, obviously for a good reason, but still why can't I crave something I can eat!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sushi lovers?!

• You can still have sushi, it just needs to be cooked or veggie! It totally satisfies my cravings! And seaweed is really good for you, packed full of nutritional goodness, perfect for mom and developing baby!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I know, it always seems to be the things I can't have that I want. As PP said, just give the cooked or veggie ones a try. They won't totally fulfill your cravings but they might satisfy it enough for you to have some relief :)
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKellyinpink:
    You can still have sushi, it just needs to be cooked or veggie! It totally satisfies my cravings! And seaweed is really good for you, packed full of nutritional goodness, perfect for mom and developing baby!!

Oh, I know and I do! But I love the raw stuff like sashimi and nigiri! I asked my Dr. and she said absolutely no raw fish! I know some others have said their doctors said it was okay but mine is 100% a no! I still eat the cooked stuff but the raw fish is what I want, of course! 

• I'm right there with you, I was telling DH last night that I might kill for a Spicy Tuna roll! We will have to be strong together!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • Me too! I had to go out to a sushi restaurant the other night for a friend's b-day. Everyone was eating it but me-even DH. I just want one spicy tuna roll!Crying
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagembear511:
    I'm right there with you, I was telling DH last night that I might kill for a Spicy Tuna roll! We will have to be strong together!

^ This  ; ;

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAinslie325:

You can still have raw sushi, too-- it's up to you.  Sushi presents the same risks it always has-- foodborne parasites and Hepatitis A-- neither of which cross the placenta.  While it's true that a case of Hepatitis A would be made even more unpleasant due to pregnancy, it poses no specific risk to the baby.  There has never been a case of listeriosis associated with sushi (listeria can cross the placenta)...this isn't the case, though, with smoked salmon (as lox).

I'm all for minimizing risk (and I don't miss raw sushi much-- I was mainly a veggie/cooked roll girl anyway), but I do think it's important to know what the actual risk is, and to whom.

Well it can carry Listeria like deli meat and veggies, I understand pretty much everything in life is a risk but these are just things that should be avoided while pregnant because your immune system is lower. If you come in contact with Listeria while not pregnant most healthy people can fight it off. However it can become deadly for a pregnant woman and her fetus. That's my only concern and while others may want to take the risk, I certainly do not! 

• sherpasherpa member

I've had yellow tail with no problems. But I don't think I'll risk it again.

I did have cooked peel and eat shrimp at a restaurant the other day = big time sick for 10 minutes in the bathroom apologizing to gaggle of people in there but then I was 100% and had all my crab legs...DH just had to keep the shrimp out of sight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekcvasquez:
    imageAinslie325:

You can still have raw sushi, too-- it's up to you.  Sushi presents the same risks it always has-- foodborne parasites and Hepatitis A-- neither of which cross the placenta.  While it's true that a case of Hepatitis A would be made even more unpleasant due to pregnancy, it poses no specific risk to the baby.  There has never been a case of listeriosis associated with sushi (listeria can cross the placenta)...this isn't the case, though, with smoked salmon (as lox).

I'm all for minimizing risk (and I don't miss raw sushi much-- I was mainly a veggie/cooked roll girl anyway), but I do think it's important to know what the actual risk is, and to whom.

Well it can carry Listeria like deli meat and veggies, I understand pretty much everything in life is a risk but these are just things that should be avoided while pregnant because your immune system is lower. If you come in contact with Listeria while not pregnant most healthy people can fight it off. However it can become deadly for a pregnant woman and her fetus. That's my only concern and while others may want to take the risk, I certainly do not! 

I guess I shouldn't have eatin subway with four slices of turkey meat?

• sherpasherpa member
    imagenaturegal79:
    imagekcvasquez:
    imageAinslie325:

I guess I shouldn't have eatin subway with four slices of turkey meat?

Heat the meat, I always asked them to. I understand if you heat it to steaming then you'll be okay. That way you don't have to get the entire sammie toasted up if you don't want to. I guess it's up to the individual of course but it's better to be safe than sorry. So many rules though, it's ridiculous.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still eat deli meat, the sliced kind from the deli, I don't eat the packaged ones. Not heated either, and I ate it with my first pregnancy too, my OB says it's fine.

I don't eat raw fish but I do eat the cooked ones. I agree, I miss it! I made my DH bring it to me as soon as I gave birth the first time, I was dying for it!  

image image

• imageMrsLeanna:

I still eat deli meat, the sliced kind from the deli, I don't eat the packaged ones. Not heated either, and I ate it with my first pregnancy too, my OB says it's fine.  

I ate Port of Subs every day and sometimes more than once during my first pregnancy.  And when I say everyday, I mean every day.  The people who owned the POS that I went to bought me a shower gift.  It was bad  ;)

My Book BlogImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicA Lucy, a lost tube, two lost babies, and another on the way! image
  • I feel your pain!  Last week, we got no-raw-fish sushi for dinner (California roll, spinach roll, tempura, dumplings, and edemame).  It was good, but nothing's quite like the real thing.  

The sad thing is that cooked fish is completely turning my stomach right now.

To the PP who said that the CDC doesn't say to avoid raw fish, I found it on their website: https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/groupofpeople/pregnant/chklist_pregnancy.html 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"