October 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone have Kaiser in CA?

DH is starting a new job tomorrow and we're getting Kaiser as our medical bene.  I'm quite disappointed that this is the only company that's offered, because there aren't any Kaiser facilities within about 45 minutes of us, this includes doctors.  Apparently, if we need emergency medical we can go to the local hospital here, but for L&D I'll be driving for about an hour to get to the facility.  

For those who have Kaiser, do any of your facilities have a birthing center?  Do you know if that birthing center allows water births or laboring in water?  I've looked on their website with no luck finding anything useful.  I have a feeling this insurance company is pretty strict with their L&D.  I'm looking to have a med-free birth and I'm afraid I'll be pushed in another direction.  

I'd love to hear any Kaiser birth/maternity stories. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone have Kaiser in CA?

• Options
    I have Kaiser through my DHs job. Our hospital is literally around the corner with the birthing center. We went in for our Hospital Tour but it got cancelled 15 minutes into it because someone needed an emergency c-section. So I wasn't able to get alot of information. I'm not sure about the water either.
  • Options

I have Kaiser through DH's work as well and I love it. Where exactly in CA are you? I've been to Kaiser hospitals from the Antelope Valley to Los Angeles to Ventura County and everything in between. If there isn't a local "Kaiser" hospital in your area, I'm pretty sure they have contracted with the local hospital for L&D. Where I currently live, the closet "Kaiser" hospital is about an hour away, but for delivery I'll be going to the local hospital because Kaiser is contracted with them. There are also Kaiser medical offices near me, but no actual hospital or emergency service - I would go to the local hospital.

I can't imagine that they would only offer Kaiser to your DH if there are no doctors within 45 minutes, that seems a little strange. If I knew where you live in CA, I might be able to help you navigate the system. I've had Kaiser for over 10 years and I love it.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have Kaiser in NorCal. I believe things are different than down south. The only birthing center that allows for water births that I know of is in Davis. The Sacramento area centers do not offer it. That being said, I delivered DD at the Roseville center and loved it, despite it being 45 min+ away from us. Amazing nurses and patient care. I am currently seeing the midwife who delivered DD for this LO. I did not go med free, but I found them to be very accommodating with my requests, and very open with me about what was happening.I had a relatively routine birth, so I can't speak to special situations but I really, really liked my experience and am looking forward to going back.

Funny story: I had GD and was craving juice my whole pregnancy. During delivery, my husband was using popsicles as an incentive to push when I stalled out. My nurse said it really wouldn't make much difference to wait and went and got me one herself. I literally pushed DD out with an orange popsicle in my hand.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

And about the birthing centers, I personally don't know of any, but I do know that some of the Kaiser hospitals have midwives (the hospital I'll be going to doesn't, but it's not a Kaiser hospital).

The care that you get from the doctors will be no different that any other doctor. I actually like how the whole setup works. It's like each office operates like it's own private practice. So for my prenatal appts I can see any doc in the office and whoever is on call will be who delivers my LO. The main doc I see is also very big on natural birth, which I love.

The point is, is you're going to have different types of docs with different types of styles the same as you would with any other insurance provider. You just need to shop around. The great this is, is you can check out each doctor's profile online. See where they grew up and went to school and if they are board certified. I find that information very helpful.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Options
    Thank you for the responses.  I needed some assurance.  As to where we are, we live in Monterey.  According to the guy I spoke to on the phone, the closest facility is in San Jose :o/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"