Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

My 3 week old has not had a stool in over 24 hours,

She is eating and peeing like normal.  I've noticed they have gotten less frequent with time but to go more than 24 hours seems really long.

I've googled it and gotten mixed reviews.  I saw one place that said it's perfectly normal for a BF baby to go days without a stool.  Then I see on another site that some people put syrup in their milk to help them.  However, this seems to be controversial as some say there is a risk of botulism. 

ETA: I am noy planning on adding anything to my milk.  Just sharing what I found.

I put in a call to the pediatrician, but I am still waiting to hear from them.

What do you ladies know?  Is this normal?  How often does your BF baby have a stool?

Re: My 3 week old has not had a stool in over 24 hours,

• Options
    I'm no doctor, but if your LO is EBF, I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter has gone 2 days without a poop and was fine. Her diaper on the third day was ridiculous tho! I think as long as she is eating and having regular amount of wet diapers she should be fine. I wouldn't give my LO anything except breast milk without talking to her doctor. You can always give them a call if you're worried! 
  • Options
    My LO has a bm every day to every other day.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hi, i had the same issue with my lo.  she went almost 3 days without a bowel movement and finally had one today.  i was so happy to see a dirty diaper.  my pedi said to call them afterr 3 days and that its normal for them to not have a bm everyday.  i could tell she was gassy and uncomfortable so i massaged her belly and rubbed her back did some leg exercises with her and it seemes to help her relax and have the bm today.  i saw those websites too and i wouldnt give her anything unless the pedi recommends it.  i think its normal and just keep an eye on the diapers as long as you are seeing wet ones its ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    October Siggy: Then & Now
    At The Pumpkin Patch
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It could be growth spurt related. DS was a several-a-day pooper until about 6 weeks. Then he started going between 5-8 days. Talked to doc who said wait it out. After 7 days he said to try an oz of cooled boiled water in a bottle. If that didn't work within 24 hrs we were supposed to repeat with 1/2 oz apple juice added. Tried the water, didn't work. I was reluctant to give my 7 wk old juice, so we tried infant probiotics. What a difference. I highly recommend the probiotic drops. We bought them at a local health store. Now DS is back to about 3 good BMs a day. Good luck, hth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks ladies.  Just trying to see if it's normal.

I wasn't planning on putting anything in my milk.  I was just sharing what I found.

I will try massaging her.  There are times when she's fussy and I think a good stool would really help her out.  She always feels better afterward!

Hopefully, I will here from the ped's office soon and get some professional affirmation.

• Options
    When DD was that age she would go several days without a BM.  Then for a while I could count on it to be every other day.  Now I know she has an 8am poop and a 7pm poop.  Your LO should be ok, babies can go 3-4 days without a BM before a pedi usually intervenes.  Their bodies are still getting regulated and adjusting to being outside babies.  I wouldn't give your LO anything unless your pedi approves it at that young.
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagetoadstool:
    My LO has a bm every day to every other day.

This!! Its not unusual for them to go a little bit between stools. As long as your LO has a regular amount of wet diapers they should be fine. If you are like me thought you wont stop freaking out until you hear from the pedi. Hope they call you back soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    vanfoxvanfox member
    If your LO doesn't get any formula supplements, it's most likely fine, even if 3 weeks is a little early for even an EBF baby to miss a day. I'd expect a blowout in the next day or so, though. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

my 10 day old LO is on day 3 with no BM just spoke to the pedi and she says it can happen to EBF newborns and as long as LO is not too fussy, to wait it out....

or to take his rectal temp. or give him 1 oz. prune juice mixed with 1 oz water ... as of now, plenty of wet diapers and good feedings so waiting. will massage tummy and back and do leg exercises.

• Options
    My LO is breastfed with supplements of formula and only has a poop once a week (on Sat like clock work) and my dr is not concerned at all.  She said some babies just poop less often.  So I would not be worried by 24 hours unless my baby seemed in pain.
    Dx with PCOS and IR June 2009
    After two losses, third time was a charm.
    pm me for blog link
  • Options

Our little girl was the same way.  She wasn't going regularly.  We talked to her ped. cause she gets fussy at night when she doesn't go, and he suggested some prune juice (she has lots of wet diapers).  it's worked to keep her regular, she goes once a day now.  That however works for her.  Your ped may recommend something different.

Good luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"