Potty Training

I hate potty training!!!

Just a vent.

I've had it pretty easy with DS...he's a great little boy, so polite and respectful...but he's 3+ and potty training has been a nightmare.  I tried potty bootcamp last summer and he really wasn't ready.  I threw in the towel after two weeks.  I've tried a few times since then, but it didn't work then either and I wasn't as dedicated since I was pregnant. 

Now I am trying potty bootcamp again and, one day in, I'm ready to pull my hair out.  He just doesn't care about having accidents.  He's had a couple of successes with pee, but he never seems to empty his bladder fully and ends up having an accident on the floor a few minutes later.  It doesn't matter how long I keep him on the potty afterwards.  He is not motivated by rewards (stickers, candy, a special outing/toy).  I've tried almost everything and it just isn't working...it's beyond frustrating!!! 

I know some might say, well if he's not ready just try again at another time...but he's approaching 3 1/2; how long am I supposed to wait for him to want to do it on his own?!?

Re: I hate potty training!!!

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I'm truly not trying to be harsh but at almost 3 1/2 there's no reason he shouldn't be potty trained.  FWIW, I think the older they are the harder it is to train.  From his view- why should he PT?  For almost 3 1/2 years he's never had to- the "luxury" to just go where you are and not have to take time away from what your doing sounds great.  Although I realize that PT should be a positive thing (and I've PT a 17 month old and 15 month old in just a few days- daytime, naps and nightime with only positive reinforcement) I think after the age of 3 there should be consequences for accidents.  Start taking away a toy- he can't have it back until he goes.  Time-outs, etc. whatever works.  This is about the only way to make him do it on his own- otherwise your waiting until he's 4 which to me is crazy- he's more than capable of doing it now.  Best of luck!
  • image*LrCg*:
    I'm truly not trying to be harsh but at almost 3 1/2 there's no reason he shouldn't be potty trained.  FWIW, I think the older they are the harder it is to train.  From his view- why should he PT?  For almost 3 1/2 years he's never had to- the "luxury" to just go where you are and not have to take time away from what your doing sounds great.  Although I realize that PT should be a positive thing (and I've PT a 17 month old and 15 month old in just a few days- daytime, naps and nightime with only positive reinforcement) I think after the age of 3 there should be consequences for accidents.  Start taking away a toy- he can't have it back until he goes.  Time-outs, etc. whatever works.  This is about the only way to make him do it on his own- otherwise your waiting until he's 4 which to me is crazy- he's more than capable of doing it now.  Best of luck!

ITA with all of this.  Diapers in the trash - all done.  3 is plenty old enough.  40 years ago a 3 y.o. in diapers was unheard of. 

Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Loading the player...
  • imageDreamsicle23:

image*LrCg*:

ITA with all of this.  Diapers in the trash - all done.  3 is plenty old enough.  40 years ago a 3 y.o. in diapers was unheard of. 

Totally unrelated, but Dreamsickle, are you by any chance an X-Files fan? :):)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PPs but would add you may want to check in with your pedi to make sure everything anatomically is okay with him. I've read somewhere before that you should do this if they are older and are refusing training.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 4/9/09 - Chloe, our angel twin Lilypie First Birthday tickers>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"