October 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD - re funeral

A cousin of mine passed away sudenly yesterday. I have not seen that side of the family except an aunt and uncle that came to my wedding last year. I want to go to support them. It is a 6-7 hour drive one way (and with the long weekend, everyone will be on the roads) and the funeral service and everything is all the same day, Monday.

I found a flight for about 450$ which would be so much better considering that my back has been really sore for 3 weeks now with SI pain and sitting that long in a car is kinda nuts. Obviously DH was coming with me if we drive, but he'd have to take an extra day off work and we'd be in the car etc...but now I am thinking I'd fly there and have my parents pick me up and then fly back in the same day and leave him at home. The flight is about an hour...

I think the cost of two tickets + his extra day off for my cousin he never met would be a bit crazy.

What would you do - fly without DH or drive?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD - re funeral

• Options
    Honestly, by the time you get to the airport and go through security and wait for the plane to take off - hope there are no delays - you will probably be looking at at least 4 hours. I would just drive with my DH. Flying is such a hassle nowadays that it's not worth it to me unless it is over a two hour flight. My cutoff for driving is around 6-7 hours. But you are right about the traffic - so you might be better off flying if you are leaving on a heavy traffic day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

In my bag: Nikon D90; 35mm 1.8, 90mm 2.8 macro (my fave), Lensbaby Composer with macro extensions. BFP after 13 cycles and one ectopic. Lost left tube 5/19/10.
  • Options

I would fly.

So sorry to hear about your loss.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNikkiBenzo:
    Honestly, by the time you get to the airport and go through security and wait for the plane to take off - hope there are no delays - you will probably be looking at at least 4 hours. I would just drive with my DH. Flying is such a hassle nowadays that it's not worth it to me unless it is over a two hour flight. My cutoff for driving is around 6-7 hours. But you are right about the traffic - so you might be better off flying if you are leaving on a heavy traffic day.

Good point about the waiting at the airport and delays. It's a domestic flight though, within the same province, so I only need to be at the airport 1 hour before and I'm not checking/bringing any bags...

• Options

Sorry about your loss. 

I'd fly as well, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be. We fly 1-2x per month and never have issues, and we get to the airport an hour or less before our flight leaves.  

• Options

I am very sorry to hear about your cousin.

I would fly.  You'll have more chances to walk around, stand and stretch.

• Options

Condolences on your loss.

I would fly solo. It's no biggie. 

• Options
    Thanks for your condolances everyone
  • Options

Personally, I would drive.  I drove to Virginia Beach and back this past weekend (driving up to six hours at a time) by myself and I was fine.  I had to stop a few times to stretch out my hips but other than that it wasn't too bad.  My doctor had me take a travel kit (medical records) "just in case"- which flipped me out a little but given the choice to drive or fly, I would absolutely drive.   

ETA- I'm sorry for your loss.

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP # 1 2/5/11 DD born September 2011
    BFP #2 12/21/13 CP 12/29/13
    BFP# 3 1/11/15 EDD 9/15/15
  • Options

I'm sorry about your loss...

If the money isn't that much to you, I would just fly...

• Options

If your back pain is getting worse/persistent then I would definitely fly.  I have sciatica with this preg and thought I could handle a 4 hour drive up north with lts of stops - what a mistake.  Sitting in the car made it so much worse. 

Sorry for your loss!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"