August 2011 Moms
Options

Can someone help me with the math here? RE: Formula

OK, so I used to be an analyst for a fortune 300 so I am laughing at myself that I cannot get this straight. Any help is majorly appreciated.

I  always heard that liquid formula cost more than powder. That being said, if I go on to amazon and price formula options, powder is far more than liquid. Even if I multiply the powder cost per ounce by 2 since 1 scoop is an ounce and 1 scoop = 2 ounces of liquid, it still comes out to be far less to buy liquid. Please see the examples below.

https://www.amazon.com/Similac-Advance-Shield-Formula-32-Fluid/dp/B001E5116C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309456797&sr=8-2

vs

https://www.amazon.com/Similac-Advance-Shield-Formula-23-2-Ounces/dp/B001E534MG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309456823&sr=8-5

****Also, on a side note, today is the last day to buy Earths Best Organic formula at a deep discount. 4 cans are normally $99. take 15% off if you subscribe ( I subscribed to have a new 4 pack sent to me in 6 months in case my lo doesnt take to Earths Best) and an additional 15% off coupon. See the link. 4 cans = $69 shipped.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_fb_s_mom_lngyjt?ie=UTF8&docId=1000681001

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can someone help me with the math here? RE: Formula

• Options
    I'm not good with math, but when DD was on formula, I read on the back of the Similac containers and it will tell you how many bottles one container will make. (I think it goes by 6 oz bottles) But when I figured it out it was cheaper to do the powder. DD didn't care much for the liquid. Not sure why but it is a different color than the powder.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Powdered formula is definitely cheaper.  It sounds like from reading your post that you are calculating it as if 1 scoop = 1 oz.  1 oz in weight of the powdered formula is not equal to one scoop.   You would probably get 4-5 x that much from 1 oz of powdered formula in weight - it's concentrated.  You can assume at the beginning that one regular normal size can will last you a week.  At the most you would need 2 cans per week.  So that would be approx. $43/week compared to 32 oz per day which would be $35/day or $245/week. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One can of similac powder makes roughly 160 ounces of liquid. It works out to be about 13 cents per fluid ounce.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • Options

Also, don't forget if you are looking to save $$ look at generic brands. there are FDA rules that make them the same, they cost less because the companies don't spend the $$ on giving out free bags/coupons and 10 million mailers.

I *think* target may have an organic generic formula as well.

Lastly, I wouldn't stock up too much on formula as you never know if your baby will be sensitive to dairy/soy or whatnot. I ended up tossing a number of cans of dairy formula because my DS couldn't process the cows milk.

imageimage BabyName Ticker
  • Options

imagejessicaclare:
    One can of similac powder makes roughly 160 ounces of liquid. It works out to be about 13 cents per fluid ounce.

I trust what you are saying, but its confusing since the directions on the can say 1 scoop to 2 fl ounces of water. If 1 scoop = 1 ounce of powder = 2 ounces of mixed formula, how does that work? I am sure I am not connecting some of the dots properly. But the back of the canister did say 1 scoop to 2 ounces of water.

• Options
    imageBridgetkaryn:

Also, don't forget if you are looking to save $$ look at generic brands. there are FDA rules that make them the same, they cost less because the companies don't spend the $$ on giving out free bags/coupons and 10 million mailers.

I *think* target may have an organic generic formula as well.

Lastly, I wouldn't stock up too much on formula as you never know if your baby will be sensitive to dairy/soy or whatnot. I ended up tossing a number of cans of dairy formula because my DS couldn't process the cows milk.

Agreed, I am not looking to "stock up" as much as I am just trying to understand the cost differences. I do plan on taking advantage of the Earths Best deal, but amazon will gladly take back what I dont want for credit. if its unopened.

• Options
    imagerosegut:

imagejessicaclare:

I trust what you are saying, but its confusing since the directions on the can say 1 scoop to 2 fl ounces of water. If 1 scoop = 1 ounce of powder = 2 ounces of mixed formula, how does that work? I am sure I am not connecting some of the dots properly. But the back of the canister did say 1 scoop to 2 ounces of water.

I totally understand the way your brain is thinking. My only question is does it say one scoop of powder equals 1 ounce? That would be the only dot I don't see connecting :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagerosegut:

imagejessicaclare:

I"m thinking one scoop= 2 oz of mixed formula, but does not necessarily equal 1 ounce of powder. Its like if you buy the tins of powdered Crystal Light and compare it to a bottle of Crystal Light. You can buy a large bottle for a couple of bucks and it will give you maybe 6-10 glasses of juice. Or you can buy the tin and get like 30 glasses of the juice. Because the powder is mixing with the water, so the water is taking up most of the room. The powder is more concentrated. Does that make sense? So I don't think the scoop equals 1 ounce. Its got to equal a lot less then that.  

• Options

Trust me, liquid is far more expensive! DD had to use the liquid because she had severe acid reflux and she would spit up everything and it was much worse if there was any bubbles in it, so I couldn't shake or stir powder formula. The liquid is much thicker, which is why she was able to keep it down, but wow does it stain much more than powder too! I'm not sure about the calculations, but I know I spent a ton more on liquid than when I did powder.

Also a side note, I wouldn't buy too much because you never know if it will upset LOs tummy!

• Options
    thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    I would pry just figure out how many scoops are in a can, take it times 2 and that will tell you how many fluid ounces the can will make. Like pp said if you ff only its about 2 cans maybe a bit more.per week. I wouldn't buy any formula or not more than a can because they can react poorly to some. Both my boys were on gentlease since thy couldn't handle reg formula.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"