Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

if LO is teething & you give ibu/tylenol....

We are literally giving it to DS every single day lately ? I?m not even exaggerating!  This has been for the last 3 weeks ? he?s been cutting 2 teeth (one is finally through and the other should be any day now).  The doc said it?s ok to give it often and not to worry, but seriously?at some point, isn?t all this ibuprofen & Tylenol going to give him a baby ulcer?!  Do we have a pill-popper in the making?  I worry about this every day!  (And yes, we try/have tried every possible solution other than drugs?the only thing I haven?t tried is the amber teething necklace, but it?s currently on order and should be here any day now.)

How often are you giving it?  Have you ever given it to LO so often like this (and please tell me it didn?t eat a hole in their gut!)?

Re: if LO is teething & you give ibu/tylenol....

• Options

We did the same thing.  For about a month, we gave her Tylenol every single night!  It was awful, she hated taking it. But if we didn't do it at bedtime, she wake up freaking out and be inconsolible until I woke up DH and we did give it to her.

Once she seemed to be doing better during the day or chewing/drooling less, we would skip it on a Thursday night (always Thursday because I'm off on Fridays).  If she slept ok, we would forgo it until we felt she needed it again. 

I've read that as long as you're not giving it to them around the clock and just at night, it's fine.  I hope that's true or my baby also has a hole in her gut.  :)

• Options
    this makes me feel a million times better knowing that SOMEONE out there has been through this too!  i feel like DS must be the worth teether ever!! we give it every night as well, otherwise it's the same thing...up at midnight or 2 am, completely freaking out in pain and inconsolable, until we give the meds, watch some mickey mouse, and the meds finally kick in... 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I actually had been thinking this VERY SAME thing, and called my pedi to ask about it.  He said exactly what PP said - as long as you're not doing around the clock, consecutive days (or weeks) are OK.  He said taking infants' tylenol is actually better than using a topical treatment like Oragel.

Oh, and he gave me a tip - he said to rub some of the tylenol you give LO on his/her gums...that infants' tylenol has a mild numbing agent suspended in the liquid.  I tried it, and it works even better than just giving them the tylenol "down the hatch".

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTXBaby2:

I actually had been thinking this VERY SAME thing, and called my pedi to ask about it.  He said exactly what PP said - as long as you're not doing around the clock, consecutive days (or weeks) are OK.  He said taking infants' tylenol is actually better than using a topical treatment like Oragel.

Oh, and he gave me a tip - he said to rub some of the tylenol you give LO on his/her gums...that infants' tylenol has a mild numbing agent suspended in the liquid.  I tried it, and it works even better than just giving them the tylenol "down the hatch".

GL!

That's a good tip! I'll keep that in mind when the next teeth come in!

I have given DS Tylenol like that too. And I wondered the same thing. Glad you posted... I think you are making us all feel better!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

This is how we were at the beginning of the week. DS is having a horrible time with his top tooth coming in. 

I was alternating Tylenol/Motrin every 2 or so hours...

Something I found that works wonders that my SIL recommended to me is Chamomilla. It's a homeopathic medicine (tablets) and I swear within 10 minutes yesterday DS was back to his usual happy self.

It can be found at health food stores like Whole Foods or Lassen's (at least those are the stores here on the west coast, I'm not sure on the east coast).  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"