Breastfeeding

NIP- on the beach, anyone?

I don't know what to do- we're going away to the beach for a week. Do you think it's realistic to nurse on the beach?  Part of me is thinking, bleh, sand, difficulty fixing swimsuit top, sweat, heat, etc.  However, the other part of me is thinking I need to build up my stash and I would prefer not to pump and bottle feed.  WWYD?  Any tips?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NIP- on the beach, anyone?

• Oh, for sure I would NIP on the beach.  I just got an Aden & Anais swaddling blanket which is perfect for nursing outside because it's so light and breathable (but I have to be careful because it doesn't take a strong wind for it to blow away, lol).  As for the swimsuit... I haven't bought one yet but I'm thinking as long as it's not a halter top (both sides would fall down), I'll manage somehow.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • kofmkgkofmkg member

Why wouldn't it be realistic? I did it with a wiggley 10-month old.  No problems and we used a nursing cover despite the wind.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Love, luck, and prayers to my BFPB Dr. SnowflakeBride

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's realistic, and would probably be easier than trying to keep a bottle at the proper temperature, and pumping.  I think with some wipes an extra beach towel or nursing cover to use, you'd be fine.  Just shake out the sand first! 
  • Almost forgot - if you're worried about the heat One Step Ahead sells a battery operated fan that can clip on to strollers, etc. and has foam blades so it's won't hurt curious hands. 
  • imagekofmkg:

Why wouldn't it be realistic? I did it with a wiggley 10-month old.  No problems and we used a nursing cover despite the wind.  

For the reasons I noted in the OP.  I'm definitely going to try- just wanted to see what others experience was like. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We live on the beach and I nurse LO out there all the time.  I just bring a super thing receiving blanket to toss over my shoulder and cover myself a little but honestly, there ae some girls out there showing off more than my tata so I dont care. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I tried nursing at the beach but hadn't thought about the fact that I had been in the salt water... DD wouldn't nurse because of the taste. If you go in the water, you may want to rinse off after! 

I didn't bother covering up. I pulled my suit out of the way without undoing the knot, and nobody looked (not that they would've seen anything). We had an umbrella up and it wasn't too hot, even in 90 degree FL weather! Like I said- I just had the problem with DD not wanting the salt taste. She tried both sides and then gave up and ate fruit instead. 

Have fun!  

• Absolutely.  I bought bathing suits with a tie around the neck.  I would just loosen the knot and cover myself with a small burp cloth.
  • I tried to do this last weekend at the beach but LO didn't like something about it, now that someone mentioned salt water, that may be in because I was in the ocean for quite a bit before trying to nurse her.  I also thought it might be the sand, I have no idea how but when I lowered my bathing suit to nurse her my chest was pretty much covered in sand and I couldn't really wash it off well.  I ended up taking her back to the house we were staying at to rinse off and nurse her, luckily it was only 2 blocks away.  Maybe just take a bottle of drinking water to rinse off before nursing. 
  • imagecanesbaby:

I tried nursing at the beach but hadn't thought about the fact that I had been in the salt water... DD wouldn't nurse because of the taste. If you go in the water, you may want to rinse off after! 

I didn't bother covering up. I pulled my suit out of the way without undoing the knot, and nobody looked (not that they would've seen anything). We had an umbrella up and it wasn't too hot, even in 90 degree FL weather! Like I said- I just had the problem with DD not wanting the salt taste. She tried both sides and then gave up and ate fruit instead. 

Have fun!  

This, only with no salt water. Don't bother covering, just go to a quiet corner. No one will know. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"