Toddlers: 24 Months+

PT for Boys- logistics question

My 22 month old is really interested in the potty and has been for a few months. I've gotten him to poop on the potty, but mostly just catching him looking as if he's going to poop, and getting him on there fast enough. He knows you pee and poop on the potty, but I'm not sure he associates the urge to go just yet. 

My question is, if you've PT'ed a boy, how did you teach them to pee? Sitting down or standing up? DH has showed him standing, but let's face it, my 40 year old husband has aim problems, how is my 2 year old going to aim correctly? When I sit him on the potty to pee- he pulls his penis out of the potty so if I get pee, its on the bathroom vanity or floor. I tried to teach him to keep his penis in the potty, but it's not working really.

Maybe it's just too early yet. Thoughts or advice? Thanks ladies! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PT for Boys- logistics question

• DS sits backwards on the big potty and that works best for us right now (we tried standing, sitting frontwards and sitting on a little potty.) 
  • DH wants to pee standing up, but he sits for now. Mainly I think he wants to be able to watch it because he'll scoot back on the potty and look in while he pees.
  • Loading the player...
  • When we started PTing I had him sit and push his penis down and I closed his legs (so it is trapped and pee doesnt go everywhere!).  He does this on his own now when he has to go poop.  After he had the actual PTing down (knowing when to go and no accidents) I switched to standing.  He now stands to pee and sits to poop.  

*He was PT at 26 mo (completely) and I think we transitioned to standing pee at 30 mo or so.  GL! 

• We PT'd over his spring break in April.  I started by having him sit (we used the little seat that goes on top of the toilet).  He was much more comfortable having a stool under his feet.  I would show him how to stick his penis down and then close his legs, like pp said.

When he went back to school potty trained, they asked him the first day if he sits or stands and he answered "Oh, I stand."  lol - they didn't know he had never done it that way so they had him stand.  He's been standing ever since.

His aim isn't bad... he's closer to the potty than DH is so he gets more into the toilet - ha!  I do have to remind him to aim though, sometimes he forgets.  I was going to try the cheerio thing but when I told him I was going to put cheerios in the potty for him to hit with pee he said "That would be silly, Mama!"  Ahhh, kids.

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We bought a couple of those potty rings that sit on the toilet to make the hole smaller, and I got the ones with the biggest splash guards.  I just showed him how to make sure his penis is behind the splash guard and that was that.  He seems to know though that if he leans forward it points him more downwards so that works too.  We haven't tried standing yet because I don't want to deal with the clean up!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"