Working Moms
Options

I'm worried about DD @ Daycare

Lately DD has been crying when it's time to get ready for daycare.  Today she threw a tantrum.  Screaming at the top of her lungs, kicking and holding onto things to avoid going to daycare.....literally doing everything possible to avoid it.  They have camera's on them and we've never seen anything wrong but the way she's acting is really worrying me today. 

Is this a phase?  DD has been at this daycare since she was a newborn so I don't understand.  The only thing I can think of that has changed is the room she's in.  Except 1 of the teachers + all off the kids transferred in with her.  I just don't get it and it makes me want to stay home with her today.  I'm concerned because she can't tell me what's going on yet  so I don't know if this is just a tantrum or if something really is wrong.  Sad

Re: I'm worried about DD @ Daycare

• Options
    My son does this from time to time, too.  But once we get there, he's perfectly content.  The only thing I can think of is that it's not HIS idea to go to daycare at that particular moment, therefore he doesn't want to go.  My little control freak.  Do you think something like this might be going on?  How old is she?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think 18 months is the height of separation anxiety.  DS1 cried every day I dropped him off at daycare until he was nearly 3.  Ugh.

Probably just a tantrum, but talk it over with the providers, you never know, they may have some insight.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is the exact thing that happened to us when DS switched to the toddler room from the infant room at 14 months. 5 kids AND his infant teacher made the move with him and we had the same problem. It lasted about 2 weeks. At one point, DH tried to put him down and DS was hanging from DH by grabing his collar! So sad and I was beside myself.

Easier said than done but make drop offs short and sweet. Goodbye, I love you, be good, Mommy will be back soon. It is so hard, but she will adjust soon. Good luck girlie!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD does this some mornings, in fact she did it today. She'll give me a really hard time at home while I'm trying to get us dressed and out the door. When she's really in a mood she'll hide behind the door of her classroom, grab into my leg and refuse to let go and scream/cry like someone's hurting her. I just try to calm her down and tell her I'll be back to get her later. It's very hard to leave her like that, but I know that she'll be fine after a few minutes. If not, the daycare would call.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  DD is just a few weeks short of a year and a half.  Sounds like this is normal.  I was just concerned because as a parent I was worried something was wrong.  Now that I see the other responses I'm sure it's just that she's more aware now and her separation anxiety has gotten worse because of it. 
  • Options
    We go through stages like that, and DS is older and has been at the same daycare since 4 months.  I always try to see how he's doing when I pick him up, and ask the teachers about it.  Usually, I think it's just a matter of wanting to be with us, but he does fine once we're gone.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

my older son, who always LOVED to go to daycare (even cried one saturday when we told him there was no school that day) started whining and saying "I don't like going to school" around 3.5..... talking with other parents in class- their kids do the same thing- for them it's an age thing- a control thing... he says he doesn't want to do 1/2 the things he has to do... and then once he's there he's happy and having fun- and we have to pull him away to get him to leave - so i know nothing bad is happening there... usually it's just a phase.

but talk with the teachers... and other parents... and if you have a bad gut feeling- then go off of that- but likely it's just a separation attachment type thing.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options
    My son does this if I am working too much and not seeing him enough.  My job is really intense, and I often come home after he goes to bed.  If I work a long stretch without enough time off to spend with DS, he gets really irritable about going to school.  I try to make sure I prioritize spending time with him whenever possible.  And when I do see him, I tell him how much I missed him while I was at work.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"