Food Allergy
Options

Appointment with allergist?

DD was diagnosed with MSPI recenly. My pedi (who gave the Dx) gave us two options - elimination diet for me (I EBF) or special formula. I choose the elimination diet. They told me to call after two weeks with an update. I assume we will either make a follow-up appt then or deal with things at her 4 month check, which will be about two weeks after that. My question is, should I schedule an appt with a ped allergist at some point? I know they can be hard to get in to and I don't need a referral. If I should, when is the best time to try for (in terms of her age)? If not, should my pedi be able to guide me with introducing solids? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Appointment with allergist?

• Options

IMO, I wouldn't go to an allergist yet, but I might be in the minority.  My son had the samething when he was an infant, and we just reported anything back to his pedi, MSPI is so common in infancy, so unlesss he is having a serious reaction to soy and dairy when you eat it.. then I would just stay on the elimination diet.  If, when your dd gets older and your start introducing different foods to her and she has issues, then I would sstart to think that he needs to see an allergist. 

Also, I know many allergist avoid testing until a year or older, again unless the reactions are serious. 

• Options

I'm sorry she has mspi..

same like PP, i would wait with the allergist until she's 6 months.  Perhaps call at 5 months and make an appointment. 

So did your pedi diagnose her with MSPI, not the allergist?  I would wait until she's a tad older.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would make an appointment with an allergist.  In fact, that is what I did when my daughter was 3 months old. 

Her pediatric allergist tested her for the top 8 and it was nice to see what was positive.  We also found out she was positive to dogs at 3 months, which I wouldn't have thought about.  I should add that my pedi didn't seem too concerned with my daughter's condition, and that wasn't good enough for me because I knew it was severe.

• Options
    I think what we all have to keep in mind is that we as their mothers know them best.  So, if you feel like it something much worse, than it can't hurt to ask.  I will just caution you, that the younger the allergy testing happens the more likley it is for false postive (at least for the RAST) I am not sure about the skin testing. So, That is why most allergist try to hold off, unless like said my previous post said if their reactions are serious. I suppose if you just want to test her for what you already suspect she is reacting to, that might make more sense.  So, ask for a referral to the allergist just to test for dairy, and soy.   Just b/c she is allergic to it now, does not mean she is going to be allergic to it forever or that she is going to be allergic to other foods. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"