Attachment Parenting
Options

As much as I was against CIO methods..

DS had been a real nightmare to get to sleep for the last few weeks. I have been an emotional wreck due to my circumstances with Pepe LeDouche. There was one night I just could not take any more of it. I had to set C down in his crib and walk away because I was so upset and frustrated. Fast forward through ten minutes of crying, and C is out cold, and slept all night. Since then, I lay him down, he might yell for a couple of minutes, but then goes right down. It's almost like he wasn't going for me rocking and snuggling and shushing him to get him to sleep and just wanted to do it himself.

But in the back of my mind I still feel guilty for letting him cry some nights. 

Breastfeeding, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing, Animal Loving Family! Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: As much as I was against CIO methods..

• Options

You do what is right for yourself and your child. Nobody can say if it's right or wrong except you. Henry didn't sleep through the night until he was about 15/16 months. We were desperate and there were nights that I had to leave him alone for a few minutes because I just couldn't do it anymore. If he had fallen asleep during those times, I wouldn't have hesitated letting him fuss/cry for a few minutes. It just wasn't right for us though.

Enjoy your sleep :)

Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I only wish it worked like that for us. Don't feel guilty, that seems to be what works for him and that's wonderful! Josie would cry and cry (we've tried) so after a few nights I said this was a no-go.

I agree, you do what's right for you and if DS was really responsive to a short CIO, that's perfectly fine!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been wondering how you've been doing.  You have to do what works for you and a stressed out momma isn't good.  So much better to have baby cry for a few minutes (or a few more) than be completely stressed out and slip by doing something you shouldn't.  Yeah for him sleeping better though.  I'm hoping Casey starts sleeping better soon.
    imageimage
  • Options
    abb08abb08 member
    I had almost this exact same experience when DS was about 8 months old.  Even though I was against CIO, it turned out that he needed to get out that excess energy. It wasn't what we planned, but it was certainly what worked for our kiddo.  I felt a little bad at first, but after 5 months of a happy boy that STTN, I feel pretty great now!  Glad you are getting some rest - sounds like you need it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

While I'm against CIO for 'convenience' purposes [as in 'I just don't feel like taking care of my baby in the middle of the night,' I actually know people like that] or for extended periods of time, it sounds like that was just what he needed. He is obviously comfortable being there without you or he'd cry for much longer.

I'm glad you are both getting better sleep now!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel guilty.  You weren't ignoring his needs...you were allowing him to learn a valuable skill.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Options

imageDreamsicle23:
    I wouldn't feel guilty.  You weren't ignoring his needs...you were allowing him to learn a valuable skill.

I agree.  Stepping away because you needed a break was a smart move.   C has learned a valuable skill as a result.  Hopefully this will make things a little easier for you both.  GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As much as I am against CIO for infants, older babies (as they approach age 1) do sometimes need that alone time (even if they don't see it that way at first).  It is tough to talk about because it is more like a mommy instinct thing (nothing I am doing is working, let's let him try it on his own and let me regain my sanity for a little while).  Try not to feel guilty, you are a good mom.
    Fortunate to be a SAHM to my 3 musketeers (5/2006, 5/2010 & 12/2011). Soy & dairy free for the 3rd and final time. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    imagefredalina:
    10 minutes in an 8 month old =/= CIO.
    This. But I remember wondering if it was when we started letting DD cry a bit in bed at exactly this age. It is the best thing we ever did, she worked everything out herself from there.
    Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    10 minutes in an 8 month old =/= CIO.

I was just going to say that. Definitely not CIO.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

don't feel bad!! some babies can't CIO, they get more and more worked up. other babies need to work it out on their own, fuss for a few minutes, and then are out like a light. it's not a statement whatsoever on your parenting abilities! it's all about the baby and his needs and his personality.  if this works for you guys, then that's awesome :)

babies don't know what AP is, or who Ferber is.  babies just have their unique needs, and it's up to us to figure them out.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"