Pregnant after 35
Options

NSTs (also posted on 3rd trimester board)

So, let me just start by saying I am on my 3rd child and have been around the pregnancy block a couple times :) Both my prior pregnancies were uneventful - nauseas entire time and heartburn for the last 4-5 months. My BP runs high when I am pregnant (140/90) but nothing ever comes of it.

So I went to my normal bi-weekly appt this morning. 32 weeks. I thought I would just pee in a cup, get weighed, take BP and be out of there.......

Nope. I have now learned that because I am AMA - advanced maternal age (over 35 years old) - I now have to get NSTs TWICE A WEEK!!!! They are also saying I need them because of my elevated BP (which is the same as my other two pregnancies) and my elevated HCG levels from blood work done at beginning of 2nd trimester. Higher HCG levels could result in the placenta "getting tired" towards the end of pregnancy. There is no evidence of this occuring yet because I also have to see a perinatologist for regular ultrasounds - guess why....yep, because of my age.

Basically, all of this because I am 38 years old!!! You would think I was closer to 50 or something.  I said I would be done by 35 years old, but we decided one more baby :) This is our last baby for sure!!!!

I guess that is my minor vent for today - I was just surprised by this because I haven't had to do an NST before. I know, better to have extra tests and be safe. I thought I wouldn't be getting these because everything is going well. I was so wrong!

I cannot wait to meet this baby and start feeling like my "old" self again :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: NSTs (also posted on 3rd trimester board)

• Options
    Yep.. I get them once a week with an ultrasound..too.  Guess you could call it an  extra little perk?  I've had ultrasounds every month since my anatomy scan at 20 wks.. for the last few wks I've been weekly.. b/c of my AGE.. as well.  I turned 40 in March.  I have a 32 yr old friend who is due the same day and she says she's jealous that I have had all these ultrasounds... :)  I feel like.. whatever they have to do to make sure my baby is okay.. is fine with me.  I just don't like all the extra co-pays.... I don't mind sitting there listening to his heartbeat....  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That is so interesting. On a side note...I can absolutely relate to the wanting to 'feel like your old self' (me too)! Now...NST stuff. I'm 38 also. My OB's office hasn't even mentioned such a thing (which is odd because they've been very thorough to date and in discussing 'what's to come'). Perhaps they will mention it as I'm closer to the third tri. But it seems like, from reading our various board posts, that it really does vary who gets these and who doesn't?? I believe there was a mention of it the other day and a few members said 'what are these and why haven't I been offered one?'....so I'm curious about them! I find it totally silly that your age is 'so advanced' they need to do these tests. And, yes....I agree it can be seen as a perk per say. Well....hopefully they all turn out great and you'll have your new LO soon enough. But two a week? That's a lot of doctor's office visits!??
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I totally remember that post "why did I never get offered an NST?" - I actually responded to it "that only if there is something wrong". Wow, I was so wrong and was totally thinking of that woman when they sprung it on me this morning :)

Once a week, I get. I just think two times a week is excessive since there is nothing wrong and I am only 32 weeks. If it were an ultrasound along with the NST, that would be another story :) Then it would be cool to see the little guy twice a week!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am 45 and this is my first pregnancy.  I am currently 37 weeks pregnant and have never had a NST.  I had an ultrasound at 12 and 20 weeks.  I requested one at 28 weeks and was given one (even though my Dr. thought that I did not need an ultrasound after 20 weeks).  I am worried that maybe I have not been monitored enough (especially for my age).  I keep hoping that everything is OK but how do they really know?  I go for my appointments-BP, pee in a cup, weight, listen to baby's heart beat and that is it.  At least you are not getting a response-don't worry it will be what it will be.  Just another perspective. 

H.  (age 45, 37 weeks pregnant-3 more weeks to go!) 

• Options
    I started having one NST done a week at 36 weeks because I have GD.  I was like you, I thought unless something is wrong you don't need them.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageJen&Peter:

I totally remember that post "why did I never get offered an NST?" - I actually responded to it "that only if there is something wrong". Wow, I was so wrong and was totally thinking of that woman when they sprung it on me this morning :)

Once a week, I get. I just think two times a week is excessive since there is nothing wrong and I am only 32 weeks. If it were an ultrasound along with the NST, that would be another story :) Then it would be cool to see the little guy twice a week!!!

Yeap, I posted that poster the other day. Today I actually talked to a nurse midwife. Asked her the same thing and she said that if everything looks normal, they don't do the NST. She said that if I go overdue, they probably will do one. Then I asked her how do they know if everything is normal. She said they judge based on the baby's heart rate, my blood pressure, baby movements (my MW made me start kick count at around the 29th week).

Sounds like it largely depends on your provider if you will get extra testings or not. But I agree...twice a week?! That is too much. But, we would do whatever they think is the best for the LO, right?  

• Options
    I'm getting NSTs weekly because I had blood pressure issues with my last pregnancy, but not with this one.  I'm okay with it, it's not invasive, at least!
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I was 36 with my first and only had 1 when I was overdue. That is crazy to have to go twice a week when you don't have problems. My OB treats AMA's the same as the rest of their patients.
  • Options
    42, almost 43 and 39 weeks.  No NST's here.  but I also have great blood pressure and no other "complications" (I don't consider age a complication - I wish I could have left that off my paperwork all together)
  • Options
    I think every doctor handles it a little differently. I had my first biophysical profile and NST yesterday at my 38 week appointment. I am scheduled for another next week. At my doctor's office, I only got the NST because we only scored 6 out of 8 on the biophysical profile. Baby decided to take a nap and wouldn't cooperate. But she woke up and we passed the NST, so we got a complete score of 8 out of 10.
  • Options
    I turned 40 on my due date. My OB doesn't believe in doing anything special for age-specific reasons and I had no complications until the last month or so, so no NSTs until then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"