June 2011 Moms
Options

Baby Wise or not????

I am hoping there are other mommies on here that have read this book.  Everything seems to be working fine with this method except for the wake time :(  It seems so difficult to keep LO awake after feeding.  A lot of times he falls asleep while I am burping him and I feel terrible waking him up.  Is anyone else experiencing this??

Should I just let him sleep or will this ruin the whole schedule. 

Any advice is welcome, for or against, since I am a FTM.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Baby Wise or not????

• Options
    I find that changing DD's diaper after she eats gets her up for a little bit after a feeding.  Also, until they're like a month most of their wake time is feeding.
  • Options
    I think newborns should be sleeping after a feeding-that's how they grow. I did read most of the book, and see some good points, but don't agree with all of it. I say take the parts that work for you and use them. If your baby is sleeping, I say right now let them sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemharison:
    I think newborns should be sleeping after a feeding-that's how they grow. I did read most of the book, and see some good points, but don't agree with all of it. I say take the parts that work for you and use them. If your baby is sleeping, I say right now let them sleep.

Thank you.....I think I felt this deep down.  So much different advice from books and relatives is a lot to process.  I guess it really is trial and error!

• Options
    Admittedly, I haven't read the book but I've read/heard a lot about it. I don't think you can put a newborn on a rigid schedule. I think establishing a flexible routine is good for the future and your own sanity, but I'm opposed to the rigidity of Babywise. You can find a lot of opinions on both sides of the matter, but many pediatricians are opposed to the Babywise concept because it has been associated with a baby's failure to thrive and dehydration because feedings are so scheduled. As someone who's exclusively breastfeeding on demand, it wouldn't work for me. I'd say use the components of the theory you like rather than following it too strictly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Baby wise makes me sick. I can't believe they allow this book to be sold. My child's health is more important to me than my sleep.
    D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg
  • Options

imagehckygrl909:
    Baby wise makes me sick. I can't believe they allow this book to be sold. My child's health is more important to me than my sleep.

I havent read the book, but um, snarky much?

• Options
    imagehckygrl909:
    I tend to agree...you put it more bluntly than me. :) OP asked for opinions for or against, so I don't think your comment is snarky at all. I think most people are big proponents of this method or strongly against it -- and I agree with you.

• Options

imageLexGator:
    imagehckygrl909:
    I tend to agree...you put it more bluntly than me. :) OP asked for opinions for or against, so I don't think your comment is snarky at all. I think most people are big proponents of this method or strongly against it -- and I agree with you.

I absolutely did say for or against....and I meant it, but I do want to clarify that my LO's health comes above and beyond!!!!!  The question was more toward the sleeping aspect.  Let me be clear...when my LO wakes up, crying, cooing, or smiling, no matter when it is, I always try feeding and diaper change first.

Again thank you for ALL the responses :)

• Options

imagehckygrl909:

Because anyone attempting routine is only thinking about themselves and their own sleep?  Doubtful.  I also doubt that anyone that advocates routine for their child will force strict schedules on their newborn to the detriment of their child's health.  

You don't have to like routine or do it, but that's quite the blanket statement.   

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options

I am using babywise, and I am finding it to be very helpful.  I think it's great to get baby on a schedule so that she knows what to expect.  I have known 5 people who have used it on both of their kids, and none of the kids are failing to thrive or have been dehydrated.  I am not finding that my day is guided by her feeding times, and she is growing just fine.

How long is your LO awake for, including feed time?  Mine usually makes it about 45 minutes before she starts to get a little cranky and I know it's time for her to nap.  I found that sitting her in her boppy makes my daughter wake up and look around.  If you have tried sitting him up, talking to him, reading to him and he still wants to sleep, then by all means put him down and let him sleep.  You can deviate within a half an hour of each feeding time.  So if he is supposed to sleep from 2-4 and he wakes up at 3:30, then go ahead and feed him at 3:30.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    September Siggy Challenge- You had one job

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes we are following it.  IMO sane mom = happy family!  And I need my sleep.  I've seen co-sleeping and attachment parenting taken way too far- dad sleeping in another room, baby eating 5 times a night at one year old, etc.  For my family, a flexible schedule- which is advocated in Babywise and is pretty much exactly what they told me in the hospital and at the lactation consultation- makes the most sense.  I change LO after his feedings and make sure there is some awake times after most daytime feedings.
  • Options
    imagekevinslove:

I am using babywise, and I am finding it to be very helpful.  I think it's great to get baby on a schedule so that she knows what to expect.  I have known 5 people who have used it on both of their kids, and none of the kids are failing to thrive or have been dehydrated.  I am not finding that my day is guided by her feeding times, and she is growing just fine.

How long is your LO awake for, including feed time?  Mine usually makes it about 45 minutes before she starts to get a little cranky and I know it's time for her to nap.  I found that sitting her in her boppy makes my daughter wake up and look around.  If you have tried sitting him up, talking to him, reading to him and he still wants to sleep, then by all means put him down and let him sleep.  You can deviate within a half an hour of each feeding time.  So if he is supposed to sleep from 2-4 and he wakes up at 3:30, then go ahead and feed him at 3:30.

Thank you!  Glad to here it is working for you and has worked for others. 

• Options

I haven't read the book, but from what I've read on the bump, its not for me.  I'm not for anything that is not 100% feeding the baby on demand and following the baby's cues for what they need.  My LC said that in countries where breastfeeding is the norm, newborns eat 16-20 times a day in the beginning.  I'm not going to force my LO to wake or sleep to fit some kind of schedule.  It just doesn't feel right to me, especially while she is a newborn.  I think my baby gets security from having her needs met as soon as I can, not from a schedule.

This article is pretty strongly against it. https://www.ezzo.info/Aney/aneyaap.htm

• Options
    imageSam_Tiff121309:

imagemharison:

Thank you.....I think I felt this deep down.  So much different advice from books and relatives is a lot to process.  I guess it really is trial and error!

I say listen to how you feel! No one is a better expert on your baby than you. Listen to your mother instinct- you know what's right.

I haven't read Baby Wise, because everything I've heard about it says it's not for me, but I just wanted to come in to say that you know how to be a great mom and should definitely trust yourself!

• Options
    Hi, I don't really belong over here but I just wandered in. Anyway, my oldest brother and his wife swear by Baby Wise. They have 3 children all of whom are very well behaved and almost freakishly easy to put to bed. However they said they did not start any of it until the babies were 6 weeks old. Just my two cents. I've been debating Baby Wise myself. Good luck!

TTC #2 since 1/1/13

image    imageimage
  • Options

I'd say read it and go with your gut....it's definitely not about putting the baby on a rigid schedule. 

And for those of you making blanket statments and huge opinions on the matter...plaese read the book first.  It just makes no sense to me that someone would make a huge soap box statement without even knowing really what they are truly commenting on.

The comments on "failure to thrive" were from a copy in the 90s.  The book has adapted a view that is in-line with flexibile schedule, where you read your baby's hunger cues and adapt as needed. 

And for what it's worth, my friend did follow attachment parenting and on-demand feeding and her baby had a failure to thrive.  She is following Baby Wise this time around with her second child and is much happier with the results for the baby and the family all around.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Babywise is not about a rigid schedule, it is about reading your babies cues. We have been following it and are definitely not dealing with failure to thrive. Avery is gaining 2.5 ounces a day which is 2.5 to 5 days the amount pedi's look to see. Our pedi is very supportive of feeding him every 2.5 to 3 hours. During his growth spurt at day 10, I fed him more frequently, but the subsequent day returned to his usually feeding schedule. Due to his higher birth weight and thriving since birth our pedi has said we do not have to wake him for middle of the night feedings. Last night he slept for 6 hours straight, nursed and slept another 3 hours. 

We love babywise. Our friends who have used it love it. We have friends who used it with a preemie and she did just fine.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"