bedrest with a negative FFN? — The Bump
High-Risk Pregnancy

bedrest with a negative FFN?

This past saturday night i started having contractions that were pretty consistent, coming every 2-3 minutes and lasting about 30 seconds long, they weren't getting stronger in intensity or getting closer but this is exactly how labor started with my daughter so i got pretty worried and called my doctor- i am only 27 weeks. it wasn't my Dr who was on, but his partner who i have never met (frustrating) and he told me to go to the hospital. I get to the hospital and get hooked up to the monitors and sure enough my contractions are showing up on the monitor, they weren't very intense but definitely consistent. They did a FFN test and started me on a bolus of fluids, the fast rush of fluids seemed to slow down the contractions so they slowed my fluids and within 5 minutes they started coming frequently again- so they did ANOTHER bolus of fluids, which slowed them and then sure enough when they stopped the fluids again, the contractions came right back- this is what we did the whole first night- rushing fluids and then stopping and contractions coming back. the FFN came back negative so the dr wasn't worried that labor was eminent for me, just seemed concerned with stopping the contractions- after they realized the fluids were only a temporary fix they gave me a dose of sub Q terbutaline which was also just a temporary fix- the contractions would stop and when the medicine wore off they came right back. after two nights of this ordeal they were finally able to make the contractions stop and they sent me home on bedrest. Well since i have been home my contractions have been on and off but still happening for atleast a few hours a day. has anyone else had a similar experience? I am supposed to see the perinatologist this friday and he is going to make a decision if i need to stay on bedrest, it seems like anything i try to do makes me contract, last night i sneezed really hard and had contractions for an hour and a half afterwards, i dont know what to expect, not sure if they will keep me in bed or send me back to work and it is frustrating just wondering- if any of you mommies had a similar story please tell me! i am worried that these contractions are going to have an effect on my cervix even though they aren't labor- has anyone else had a negative FFN with no dilation and a thick cervix and still been put on bedrest??
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: bedrest with a negative FFN?

• thank you so much for your reply, i will definitely join on the bedrest check in, i need something to do to keep me occupied! I am almost afraid that my doctor will take me off of bedrest, as much as bedrest is boring and very hard on me as i have a toddler at home-i am just so worried that if he takes me off and i go back to working 12.5 hour shifts at work that i will start having contractions again and i don't want to go through the whole terbutaline process again or be hospitalized, i would rather spend months in my bed at home than a week in the hospital, just so impatient to see the peri this friday and get some answers. thanks so much for your support, i will be praying for you! how far along are you now?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also had a negative FFN but when I went to hospital I was dilated, thinning cervix and funneled so I can't say which part of my overall experience is what landed me on bed rest. I do know exactly how you feel about preferring bedrsst to work though. As much as I get bored and frustrated with the bed rest, I do feel safer here at home then I would if I was having to drive to and from work each day. I don't have a child at home to take care of though. At my work right now we are in the middle of a very stressful transition so I am also pretty sure that both LO and I are in a much better place staying away from there. Also CurlingRocks is right that this board is very supportive and drama free. Everyone seems to be hoping and praying for the best for everyone else. So best to you and keep us updated!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been having crazy contractions since 25 weeks. The first time I was given Procardia, which made them worse, and then indomethasone, which worked while I was on it but not after that. My fFN was negative but I was still put on bed rest for 2 weeks. then at 29 weeks the contrax got worse again and my fFN was positive so I was given steroid shots to mature the baby's lungs. Since then I've been on magnesium gluconate and home bed rest. The goal is to get me to 34-35 weeks since my cervix has also been shortening. best of luck to you! Bed rest stinks but it does work!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was having some constant contractions about 6-9 per hour so went to the doctor who ordered a FFN and sent me to L & D to be monitored. My test came back negative thankfully. They determined I was about 50-75% effaced, depended on who checked me some thought I was thinned more than others, but no dilation whatsoever. Just on moderate bedrest until I hear otherwise. Had a weekly appointment today with no changes but still wanted me to stay on moderate rest and check up again in a week to do another check up and FFN.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a negative FFN, but was dilated to 1 when I got to the hospital. I had pretty much the same experience as you (story is kinda in the bed rest check in), but still ended up being sent home on bedrest and Procardia every 6 hours. I was also told that 4-6 contractions per hour was my new normal, and I just had to get used to them, so maybe you're in the same boat there? They said as long as they don't pick up in intensity or amount, I was ok. I am going to my normal OB for the first time today, so we'll see what they have to say.

Lots of luck to you, funny how similar our stories are!

DS #1 - born 8/31/2008 DS #2 - scheduled c/s 8/22/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards