Parenting after 35

Cereal question

I have posted before about the fight I have with DS to eat solids.  Now he will eat his baby food but not his cereal.  Do you think it's ok to not give him cereal and just baby food?   I don't want to sound like a horrible mom but some nights I'm just too tired to fight him and give him more food instead of cereal.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cereal question

• I say go for it! In three days time, he may prefer cereal again. Paloma grew out of cereal pretty quickly and she mainly got purees. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Quick question: is it ALL cereal or just rice cereal?  Oatmeal, Barley and Wheat are more flavorful.  Plus you can mix the fruit with the cereal, too.  I still do this and DS is nearly 2. He loves the instant baby oatmeal for breakfast.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've only tried rice cereal, maybe I should try the others. I've mixed the baby food with his cereal and also "played" with the consistence of it.  
  • DD hated rice cereal and several brands of it, so I agree with Robyn about trying oatmeal etc.  And also consider brands - DD did not like Gerbers oatmeal but sucked up the Earth's Best.  I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with dropping cereal, but I'd just make sure you're using a good vitamin since the cereals are fortified.
  • imagerobynlesley:
    Quick question: is it ALL cereal or just rice cereal?  Oatmeal, Barley and Wheat are more flavorful.  Plus you can mix the fruit with the cereal, too.  I still do this and DS is nearly 2. He loves the instant baby oatmeal for breakfast.

This is what I was going to say. Also, Baby Mum Mums and Farley's biscuits are good too, and easy to nibble on. I like to introduce lots of flavours and textures so S can get a feel for food, so I've also used the mesh feeder, along with purees and cereals too. Right now her fav is banana in the mesh feeder, and soft bread.

• Thank you for the suggestions.  I will try to change his cereal then go from there.
  • steverstever member
    It should be ok. M was never a huge cereal fan.
  • Just do the same with cereal that you do with regular food.. 3-4 day trial to make sure he doesn't have reactions.

My son broke out with the wheat cereals so we had to wait a while on oatmeal, etc.

And do mix something sweet, like puree fruit, in to the cereal.  Makes it more appealing.

• Some cereals are premixed with baby food. Try Earth's Best organic baby food. They have combinations like for example apple yogurt oatmeal in one jar.

• Good luck!  
    You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • If he doesn't like cereal, don't sweat it, just give baby food and breast milk or formula for now. Have you tried different types of cereal? Adrian liked the fruit-flavored oatmeal cereal better than rice or plain oatmeal. And he liked one brand over the others (the one shaped like a milk carton and not a box). You might want to experiment a bit and see what works. Also, some kids like a mashed banana in their cereal, it makes it sweeter.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Today instead of adding baby food to his cereal mixed with water or formula, I just added some cereal (without mixing with water or formula) to his baby food and he seemed to like that.  I may have found something that will work...we'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"