Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Need your advice

I have had two miscarriages after a problem free pregnancy that resulted in my son.  I am now 32 and am not sure whether to keep on with my midwives.  They basically say that they won't do much until I have 3 miscarriages in a row.  After we get through this latest miscarriage we will try again (of course we are scared!) and see what happens.  I feel like others can get tested after 2 miscarriages, I'm not sure if my gut trusts the midwives anymore.  My first miscarriage was a blighted ovum that we didn't find out until 10 weeks 6 days, did four rounds of medication to try to avoid surgery, and then 5 weeks after finding out I had to get the D&C because the meds didn't work all the way.  

This second miscarriage started about 6.5 weeks and has been natural, I go for my 2 week follow up in another week and hopefully I won't have to do the route of meds and/or D&C.  I just feel like I don't know what to do and am hoping some of you have advice.  Should I push for testing?  I don't have classic PCOS symptoms but I mentioned androgen excess to my midwife on the phone tonight and she seemed to skip over it.  Does anyone have PCOS without some of the classic symptoms of irregular periods or weight gain?  Does anyone have experience with androgen excess?  I feel like something is wrong with me although the midwives tell us it is just bad luck twice.  They did say I have a 25% chance each pregnancy for a miscarriage because I am not so young at age 32.  I feel like they are focusing on the fact that I have had a healthy to term pregnancy recently (my son is almost 2) and discounting that there could be something wrong with me.  Any thoughts you have to share would be helpful, I don't really know where else to go for advice.

Re: Need your advice

• Options

My OB won't do advanced testing until 3 losses.  I think this may be the norm with most providers.

I did have a basic blood panel run and u/s to test for uterus abnormalities - but I think this was only done because I was in the ER during the miscarriage.

I'm sorry for your losses. 

chart
    BFP: 6.13.11 - EDD: 2.20.12 - Natural M/C: 6.22.11 at 5 weeks 3 days

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Thank you.  I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or totally right on.  I'm sorry for your loss as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, if you have any kind of doubt in your MW and think they're dismissing concerns that you bring up, you may be more confortable seeking care elsewhere.  That doesn't necessarily mean that another MW or OB will be quick to offer up testing since I think 3 is usually the standard before they start to be concerned and start looking for some answers.  You have to be happy with your practice though. You're paying for the services rendered, so if you don't feel like you are getting what you paid for or that you are being really listened to, maybe start asking around for some reccomendations.  I'm very sorry for your loss and hope you're able to find a situation you're happy with rgarding your medical care very soon.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"