Preemies
Options

If you have/had fibroids...

... did you have them removed after you gave birth?  My obgyn is pretty sure that the reason Annabelle was born three months early was because of a huge fibroid I have in my uterus.  I'm pretty sure this was the reason, too.  I was in pain a lot and had contractions and had to be hospitalized multiple times throughout the pregnancy.

Anyway, I've been advised to have surgery to have them removed before getting pregnant again which makes sense and I completely agree with.  I guess I'm just nervous.  I heard they grow back pretty regularly and I've heard that women can experience fertility problems b/c of the scar tissue and I guess I'm just scared of the surgery in general.  

So if you experienced anything like this, did you have surgery and if so, have you tried to conceive again?  Did you have any complications from the surgery?  Did your fibroid come back?

Any and all stories/advice appreciated!

Re: If you have/had fibroids...

• Options
    ijackijack member

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. My fibroid grew into my placenta and caused it to abrupt. It was removed when I delivered and then I had more grow back, which my doctor removed right before I started TTC. I did have a couple small ones start to grow between the surgery and my BFP (about 8 months), but they stayed small and haven't provided any issues.

I would most definitely recommend having them removed. Obviously it's not a guarantee that you'll go f/t, but everything helps. The surgery was pretty simple (it's basically a d&c), I didn't have any complications at all. 

So far I'm 34w into this pregnancy and haven't had any of the issues that plagued me last time. I'm happy to answer any questions :) 

Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options

Thanks so much for replying and congrats on making it to 34 weeks so far! So a couple questions for you...

How long did you have to wait to TTC after the fibroids were removed?  I feel a lot of pressure to schedule this surgery relatively close to when we think we may want to TTC but at the same time, I'd like to just get it done and over with-- I just don't want to space it out too long to give those little buggers time to grow back.

Was your surgery laparoscopic? How long did it take you to recover (up, walking around, going to work, etc.)?

And you've had no pain at all this pregnancy?  I guess that's what I'm really looking forward to... a "normal" pregnancy.

Thanks again!

P.S.-- love your siggy pic... your daughter's adorable

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i had a major fibroid removed before we did our first IVF attempt that gave us our dear LO. we were dually IF challenged, so IVF was always going to be our path. my fibroid that was removed was 7 cm at the time. it was also exterior to the uterus and because of how deep into the wall it was, i was a scheduled c-section the entire time (my uterus would have burst if it had gone into labor, risking both my life & LO's). i think i remember the dr. saying he removed some smaller fibroids, too, but it was a big enough surgery just getting the one. many people have great success stories in successfully carrying a baby to term w/fibroids. i do think it is due to them just being smaller. one of the risks of fibroids & pregnancy is the fact that it fights the baby for blood supply. my preemie had nothing to do w/my fibroids (although the doctor did have my nurse-husband stand up and showed him 9-10 about the size of an eraser that were in my uterus at the time of LO's birth). my issues resulting in my preemie had to do w/pre-e (my age & 1st baby stats in here, too).

so, as far as i know i don't have the big fibroid back, but there are definitely fibroids in there. i don't really suffer the traditional symptoms, either. i never would have known i had fibroids if i didn't have IF issues and the dx process revealed it.

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"