February 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone else having trouble pumping enough at work?

My supply just keeps dropping and dropping.  I've been back at work since Auds was 10 weeks, and I've been able to pump *just* enough to cover what she eats at daycare (usually 17 oz in 8 hours).  Sometimes I have to throw an extra session into the morning or evening, but for the most part, I wasn't dipping into my freezer stash.

Until last week.  I got AF, and my supply tanked.  I pumped 3x at work and got 7.5 oz total.  And now it hasn't really recovered.  I used to get at least 2 oz per boob per session, today I'm getting 1 or 1.5.  I'm popping Fenugreek like it's candy, pumping 5-6 times a day, plus nursing, and I just don't know when my body is going to get the hint and start making more.

Sometimes I even catch myself getting annoyed when Auds wants to nurse because it's like she's taking my stash.  Hmm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else having trouble pumping enough at work?

• Options

Um, hello mirror image.  Yes, yes and yes!  It's killing me.  I just wrapped up my THIRD(!!) PP period and I'm beginning to link the drop in supply to that time o' the month.  I have no freezer stash- not a drop.  In fact, every passing day is a stressful challenge to ensure I have enough for the following day. Today was especially awful.  I pump three times during the work day and I usually get ~15 ounces- today I got maybe ~10. I don't even want to think about it because it consumes me.  I need to order more Fenugreek- I'm not sure if it did much for me, but it can't hurt, I suppose. I don't have any issues with FF, however, I'm not there yet- I want to try and make this work for as long as I can- but I'm beginning to think my boobies have a different plan in mind.   So yes, we can commiserate together on this one.

Oh and PS I completely understand the part about being annoyed with wanting to nurse.  My morning pump is by far my best and last night DS woke up (quite a few times) and I ended up nursing him.  When I went to pump this morning, I only got half of what I normally get....killing me!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Have you tried eating oatmeal? When I eat oatmeal (like 3 packets at once) I get 1 oz more per boob about 6 hrs after eating it. Since I pump at 8pm, I eat the oatmeal as a snack at 2.
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I eat oatmeal every morning, but I could eat more.

Gah, Amy, I'm sorry you're having the same issues but I'm glad we can commiserate together!  We just recently tried to give Auds a bottle that was half breastmilk and half formula, and she was like WTF is this crap you're feeding me?  She wouldn't drink it.  I think we'll have to get her used to the formula taste sloooooowly.

I just got some advice on the BFing board to add in a calcium/magnesium supplement to counteract the effects of AF.  Another pill to pop.  Oh, and did you know you can buy Fenugreek at Walgreens or Target or wherever?  Don't need to order it.

Keep me posted if you find anything that works, and I'll do the same.  Come on, boobies!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imagechristyp80:

I eat oatmeal every morning, but I could eat more.

Gah, Amy, I'm sorry you're having the same issues but I'm glad we can commiserate together!  We just recently tried to give Auds a bottle that was half breastmilk and half formula, and she was like WTF is this crap you're feeding me?  She wouldn't drink it.  I think we'll have to get her used to the formula taste sloooooowly.

I just got some advice on the BFing board to add in a calcium/magnesium supplement to counteract the effects of AF.  Another pill to pop.  Oh, and did you know you can buy Fenugreek at Walgreens or Target or wherever?  Don't need to order it.

Keep me posted if you find anything that works, and I'll do the same.  Come on, boobies!!

SWEET!!! I notice my supply dips when *she* comes to visit. AWESOME.

CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I used Natures Way Fenugreek, and it helped, it is a nasty pill though so make sure you have something to take it with.  I was able to get mine from Fred Meyers.
  • Options

What kind of pump are you using? I was having the same issue and I have both the Freestyle and Pump in Style. Other than being extremely portable the Freestyle stinks big time and I barely even make two oz when I usually would get at least 5. PIS is much better.  I  tried Fenugreek early on (like 5 weeks pp) and it caused me to start bleeding again so I stopped using it and have be afraid to try it again.

Last week I decided to rent a Symphony to try and maximize each session and my supply seems to have built back up a little. I also got my first PP AF this week (I think it is because I had to skip a few pump sessions last week  and went down to like 4-5 per day), however my supply didn't really dip, not sure if it is because I am using the Symphony.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm having similar troubles, except AF hasn't returned for me yet.  My supply has always been exactly what DD eats, so once I returned to work (when she was 12 weeks), I wasn't able to pump quite as much as the pump isn't as efficient as she is.  I can't pump 3x at work as I'm too busy -- I tried it for the first month and was SO stressed out.  When I cut out that session, I probably got 1oz less overall for the day so that didn't make a huge difference.

I just only get about 8oz total out of those two sessions, plus I get 2-3 in the morning after nursing and another 2-3 before I go to bed.  And DD eats 15-18 while I'm at work.  I build up a little over the weekend, but by tomorrow she'll finish that, so Thurs and Fri she'll get a little formula -- I just started doing that last week and I'm not thrilled about it but it has to be done.  I do have a freezer stash, but I want to save it for when I have to travel for work or if DH and I go away for a weekend.

I drink a zillion oz of water a day, take 6 capsules a day each of Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle and Raspberry Leaf, plus 4 tablets of Brewers Yeast, and DD STTN so I'm getting a good amount of sleep considering I have a 4.5 month old.  Oatmeal hasn't really made much of a difference to me, unfortunately.  But eating a lot in general seems to help.  

So, just wanted to say that I totally understand.  And now that I've typed all this out, think I'll go XP this on the BF board and see if anyone has any advice for me...

• Options
    My supply WILL be tanking if I keep having random days that my pump decides to die like today.  I hope my boobs don't leak!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Yep. The only way I can avoid dipping into the freezer stash right now is to pump first thing in the morning while he nurses on the other side, and also to pump each morning on the weekend - that gives me enough to stay ahead of his needs.

Hang in there - it is tough!

imageimage
  • Options

I have the freestyle pump and prefer that so much more over the PISA. I might be pumping more because I have the motor up all the way on the freestyle and only had it halfway on the PISA.

When my supply tanked when I went back to work, I drank a ton of water, ate oatmeal like it was going out of style, took 9 fenugreek pills a day and drank mother's milk tea. That really helped and I have been able to keep the supply up. On the weekends, I try to power pump to up my supply a little since Lucas is about to start getting more.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I went back to work when my daughter was 5 weeks old and have been almost exclusively pumping since then (she's now 19 weeks).  I find that it ebbs and flows.  I only nurse in the middle of the night.  You need to RELAX!  Stress is probably playing a role.  I almost went thru my whole freezer supply too a few weeks ago, and then my daughter got sick and didn't want to eat as much... I was then able to restock my freezer supply.  Be consistent with pumping (every 3 hours) and eat oatmeal or drink a beer.  Definitely drink a lot of water.  You're doing great!
  • Options
    Yes. I started supplementing 2 oz every night.  It really took the edge off.  I know it sounds silly, but it worked for us.  I also started pumping through the night.  Exhausting.  I now am putting milk in the freezer again, and am down to supplementing every other day, sometimes every three days.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"