High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Weird! (gd/breakfast)

Yesterday when I met with the registered dietician/diabetes educator for the first time, I expressed questions about not being able to have milk/cereal for breakfast. I'd read it on here, that some women can't have milk before noon, and I'd read it elsewhere as well. She said as long as my numbers allow it, it's fine. All last week my numbers were fine after breakfast, except for one day when I had a cereal that had honey in it, without realizing I shouldn't have. Otherwise I've just been having Multigrain Cheerios and Rice Chex.

Anyhow, this morning I had my normal Rice Chex and milk, and my 1 hour post meal reading was 175.

The part that confuses me is, all last week I was testing 2 hours after I ate. So I'm sure that makes part of the difference. With the 2 hour testing, I was getting numbers between 115 and 119.

So which do you use, the 1 hour post meal, or the 2 hour? I will obviously go with what I was told to do, but I'm just wondering. I guess I can't have cereal for breakfast anymore? :(

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
Tessa 7/5/2013
Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

Re: Weird! (gd/breakfast)

• Options

I test 2 hours after. There's no way I would be under 120 in an hour, I just know it. I haven't tried cereal and milk in the morning yet. I have it for my bedtime snack.

Good luck to you! 

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I am to be under 120 one hour after eating - no way would cereal be under that. What guidelines did your dietitian give you for testing?

As far as cereal, I was told it's a no because it's carb heavy and once you add the milk it's even worse. I have a hard time with dairy in the morning anyway, so adding it to cereal would just make things worse. I do have it as a bedtime snack, though, something with cinnamon and fiber is usually good for my fasting number.

If you want to give cereal a try again, find something with a good amount of fiber, and stay away from the Corn/Rice Chex. Corn and rice can both be problem foods for GD.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i have to be under 144 after 1 hour...but its rare im ever over 120.  i often eat milk and cereal but i try to walk after eating.  it makes a huge difference and its the only way im able to be a little more relaxed about what i eat.
    Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • Options

My MFM likes me to test 2 hours after eating and be below 120.  I am allowed dairy in the morning- I eat plain greek yogurt or plain yogurt.  I use cereal with milk as my bedtime snack. 

DH is an endocrinologist.  He likes his patients to be below 120 at 1 hour after meals.  We have extra meters at home and I will test 1 hour post meals on an extra meter to see how I'm doing at least one day a week.  I have had no problems being under 120 at one hour post, so far.  We'll see what happens once I am at 28 weeks+. 

Do whichever one your doctor asks you to do.  I stick to egg whites for breakfast with 30 gm of carbs.  I use a rowing machine (low intensity for 20 minutes) after breakfast and have had no problems.  If the weather was not so hot, I would go for a morning walk.  It was what I did when I was pregnant with GD last time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagememali26:

I am to be under 120 one hour after eating - no way would cereal be under that. What guidelines did your dietitian give you for testing?

As far as cereal, I was told it's a no because it's carb heavy and once you add the milk it's even worse. I have a hard time with dairy in the morning anyway, so adding it to cereal would just make things worse. I do have it as a bedtime snack, though, something with cinnamon and fiber is usually good for my fasting number.

If you want to give cereal a try again, find something with a good amount of fiber, and stay away from the Corn/Rice Chex. Corn and rice can both be problem foods for GD.

She told me 1 hour post meals, I should be under 120. She said I could have cereal only if the numbers allowed it. I had no idea Rice was a problem food. I did figure that corn would be. So would wheat chex be ok? I do think I will switch and have it at night, as my last snack. She mentioned that and seemed to indicate that it would be fine.

Thanks ladies for all your help. This is a lot to figure out!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Options
    imageAmanda&EricB:
    imagememali26:

She told me 1 hour post meals, I should be under 120. She said I could have cereal only if the numbers allowed it. I had no idea Rice was a problem food. I did figure that corn would be. So would wheat chex be ok? I do think I will switch and have it at night, as my last snack. She mentioned that and seemed to indicate that it would be fine.

Some can handle rice fine, some can't. I could have brown rice for dinner with my first pregnancy, this time it shoots me crazy high. Another thing that is trial and error :)

You could try the wheat chex, they might be better than the corn or rice. I have found that the Fiber One cereals are actually pretty tasty and the extra fiber will help with your blood sugar. Some ladies have luck with Special K with protein, but I haven't been able to find that around here.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have to test 1 hour after and be under 140. Rice chex with milk will shoot me into the 170s every damn time so I no longer eat that for breakfast. I can eat it for my dinner time snack though and if I eat the chex itself later in the day it doesn't have as bad of a reaction to my sugar.
  • Options
    imageAmanda&EricB:
    imagememali26:

You are going to have issues with all cereal in the morning if you have to be under 120 at 1 hour post meals, especially if you're using milk too. I test 2 hours post meals and I have issues with cereal without milk.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"