Washington Babies
Options

Gentle Television

So, we made it to 2 without TV for J. Now I'm interested in introducing some programs, but am having a hard time finding shows that I think are appropriate for him. I'm looking for quiet, gentle shows that have long shots (count to at least 5 before the angle or pic changes) and preferably real people in them. Think Mr Rogers. I found some Mr Rogers episodes on PBS Kids that I haven't been able to get to play through our PS2. We don't have cable, but do have Netflix.

I'm also waiting for some Maisy DVDs from the Library. I've got some Planet Earth and Blue Planet episodes which I think will be fun, but I would like some toddler-specific programming too. I remember teletubbies being pretty low-key, but can't find any of that.

Yo Gabba Gabba seems too hyper for me. And Sesame street is okay, but seems a little sophisticated, especially since J hasn't seen any tv so far.

Anybody have any suggestions? 

Re: Gentle Television

• Options

Barney might actually fit that bill.  And there's "Play with me Sesame" which seems to be more of an engaging version of Sesame street stuff - they ask you to get up and clap with them or things like that.  And it's shorter I think.  

Oh, maybe Zooboomafu too.  That's got people and real animals.  Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies has animation, but then they show real movies of animals - they are fast clips though.  

I'll try to think of other things...  

• Options
    Curious George maybe?   Oh and Thomas is super slow and boring.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is Baby Einstein available on Netflix?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    KNemoKNemo member

Max and Ruby is kind of slow and quiet, it's similar to Maisy. He might also really enjoy Thomas (like Jill said). Max and Ruby isn't on Netflix though, which bums me out because my Max loves it.

We have Planet Earth and Blue Planet and Max loves both of those series. 

The only Easter Bunny I can get behind.

Maxwell Joseph 4/09 Lucy Violet 10/12

• Options

Kipper!!!  My daughter lovesss Kipper and it's so cute.  It's slow moving, the background is mostly white so it's not busy or hyper.  It's about a little British dog (Kipper) and his animal friends.  It's not really educational but if you're looking for more of a calming storybook type show to start try Kipper out - lots of episodes on Netflix.  We have some of the books as well and they're adorable.  :)

And I hate to say it, but Caillou might fit the bill too.  It's a pretty slow paced show.  He'll probably annoy the crap out of you at first though... he's kind of grown on me (at least the older episodes, I tried one of the newer ones and he got even MORE whiney).  It does teach some good lessons about dealing with emotions and new experiences.   Also on Netflix!

-Deborah

• Options
    It is animated but I agree with Kipper plus it's short at about 13 minutes per episode.  If you just want to intro to him, the Nina and Star bits on Sprout might be a good start.  It's a craft, or a sign language sign or a word in spanish or something.  It's on before the shows start.  Try PBS/Sprout about 2 minutes before any show starts and you should find it.  Do you have an ipad/iphone?  There is a sprout Ap that has shows too. 
    BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options

First of all KUDOS to you!

*DISNEY "earth"
    *The Busy Little Engine
    *YogaKids series
    *Shawn the Sheep and Wallace & Grommit! :)

• Options

We started with Baby Signing Time and now just watch regular Signing Time.  Both are available through the library.  Baby Signing Time is animated intermixed with the "host" introducing signs and videos of babies/toddlers signing. Signing Time is less animation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageKNemo:

Max and Ruby is kind of slow and quiet, it's similar to Maisy. He might also really enjoy Thomas (like Jill said). Max and Ruby isn't on Netflix though, which bums me out because my Max loves it.

Watch out for Thomas, though - those trains can be real a$$holes to each other. Stick out tongue

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We actually really like Pocoyo.  It doesn't have real people in it, but all the episodes are on solid white backgrounds, and they have the same simple characters.  I think the simplicity of it is really nice, and easy for kids to focus on.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageFutureFung:
    imageKNemo:

Watch out for Thomas, though - those trains can be real a$$holes to each other. Stick out tongue

The Troublesome Trucks are jerks!  :)

Actually there was one episode where Percy runs into a chocolate factory and gets covered with chocolate and Ben flipped out and was nearly inconsolable because he thought Percy was hurt.  :( 

• Options
    KNemoKNemo member
    imageFutureFung:
    imageKNemo:

I know. N always says, "I hate Thomas. That train's a real d!ck!" 

• Options
    I prefer Chuggington, but that doesn't really satisfy Anne's requirements.  I think the old Thomas where no one moves and they're just model trains probably is best.  Plus it is hilarious to hear George Carlin or Alec Baldwin narrating.
  • Options

Oh what about the Wiggles?  

I'm watching the Wiggles right now and the cuts aren't fast.  And of course there are real people.  It's not super "quiet"... but Cooper loves to get up and dance with them. 

• Options
    KNemoKNemo member

imageSeattle_JiLLn:
    I prefer Chuggington, but that doesn't really satisfy Anne's requirements.  I think the old Thomas where no one moves and they're just model trains probably is best.  Plus it is hilarious to hear George Carlin or Alec Baldwin narrating.

The Ringo Starr one's are even better!

• Options
    My friends little guy loves videos from the library about trucks or trains or construction. There are many in The kids area that are I guess about the production equivalent of instructional or safety videos from the 70s. He loves them.
  • Options

What about Winnie the Pooh?  

I keep thinking of TV shows.  Clearly we watch too much TV.  :) 

• Options

Theodore Tugboat?

We made it to 2 as well and almost a year later, the only thing N really watches in Curious George.  And then only 15minutes of that.  Sometimes I wish I introduced TV earlier.  (that's my MFFC)

• Options
    imagepreston18:

Theodore Tugboat?

We made it to 2 as well and almost a year later, the only thing N really watches in Curious George.  And then only 15minutes of that.  Sometimes I wish I introduced TV earlier.  (that's my MFFC)

That is an AWESOME MFFC.  I'm actually really glad that I can play "Mel-mo" (Elmo/Sesame Street) for 20 minutes and get dinner ready!  Oh well that she's nearly 18 months old...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Anne - since you said real people, I'd second Zaboomafu.

I don't think Seseme Street would be too sophisticated for J, actually.  The thing about it is that they pick up on very certain things.  We rented and now own The Best of Elmo 2, which has real people and the obvious characters.  The shots are longer in my opinion.  There is a lot of music, which she loves.  To my point about picking things up, she now tries to sing the alphabet with Elmo (and guest star India Arie :) .  Here's a link for you to check out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML8IL77gQ3k&feature=player_embedded#at=24

Barney might be annoying to adults, but in all honesty it has a good message and I haven't personally noticed any whineyness or negative messages.  Madelyn hasn't loved Barney though, so I might have missed something.

She loves the Wiggles as well, but they are high energy and it seems like that's what you're trying to stay away from.

If you decide you're open to animated shows - I'd stay away from:

Thomas the Train - they really do treat each other terribly

Caillou - believe me, I wish we had in my house....I didn't notice it at first but now I *really* do - just how whiney that kid is.  So much so that we're now trying to ween her off of Caillou (and it isn't easy - that kid loves her some Caillou).

Some of the animated shows I like that the other gals have mentioned:

Chuggington - the scenes are a bit zippier, but the trains really are nicer.  Keep in mind the trains are supposed to be children, so at times they do act as children would and I've been pleased that when they do, they're always brought around to the right way of thinking and behaving.

Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies - some of the scenes are zippier, but the entire thing is educational and positive.  Check it out, you might like it.

Kipper - this one is definately low key and mellow.  It actually might not hold J's interest.  I will admit that when I am alone at bedtime with both kids, Madelyn gets to watch Kipper while I'm putting William to sleep.  If I leave her to just read a book or play with a puzzle while I"m feeding and rocking him to sleep, she's either so loud and hyped up that Will won't focus on relaxing OR she heads out of his bedroom and gets herself into trouble.  I mention this (knowing TV at bedtime is such a no no) because Kipper is so mellow that it doesn't get her all hyped up as other shows would.

You might also check out Driver Dan

We don't watch a lot of Disney (outside of Chuggington) at our house.  The shows she watches are almost exclusively from PBS or Sprout.  You might check out Sprout on Demand, if you have cable, and see some of the shows.  They also have clips on Sproutonline.com.  The shows that play in the evening are slower paced.  Here's a list of the shows on the "Good Night Show": https://www.sproutonline.com/sprout/info/schedule.aspx?tab=night

• Options
    Bearnstein Bears is another low key animated one.
  • Options

Kuddo's to you Anne!  I assume no TV means no movies either?  We don't do TV, but we did do movies.  Some of Audrey's first favorites were Annie, Oklahoma, The Sound of Music.  they have GREAT Songs! 

We only watch 1 episode of Super Why on Sat or Sunday mornings and just recently.  I have never heard of or seen these others people are talking about. 

You mentioned you don't have cable, but the first thing that came to mind was the baby boost shows On Demand.  I used to check them out when Audrey was little.  It is exactly what you are describing.  Slow.  SIngle photos.  Real kids, but with songs showing animals or numbers or body parts etc.  It says "free with subscription" now, so I have not seen any in a while, but I remember them being fun.

Maybe you can find the Baby Boost DVD's at the library?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot Berenstein Bears and Winnie the Pooh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"