April 2011 Moms
Options

1st day back at work/working for almost nothing... (LONG)

Hey, All,

This is a combo vent/letting you know how I'm doing in Working Mom-ville. Sorry for how long it is.

So, I show up today to teach my 10 a.m. to noon class, and ONE student showed. One. Another student registered never intending to take the class, but used it as a "placeholder" in case her other classes filled, and then a third student didn't have gas money to get to campus. I set the student with financial problems up with the office that gives gas cards to students in need, and he promised to be there tomorrow.

The student who showed is on the GI Bill and needs this class to keep his benefits, and the student who didn't have money is an older guy who had a rough life--he only had formal schooling up to 3rd grade, then eventually went on to get his GED. If I cancelled the class totally, these guys' financial aid, etc., would be messed up. 

Of course, the college can't pay me just to teach two students in one class, so they'll treat this class and tonight's class as one class, so now I'm working for less than 50% pay.

My pep talk to myself is: I feel like I need to teach my summer classes... 50% pay is better than no pay, and I think that this is my "practice run" for when "real classes" start in the fall, and I'm really gone all day and Jared's here all day.

Things went well getting ready this morning and everything. Jared did great with Liam, and now he's at our friend's house doing construction work for them, then he'll come home at 4 so I can teach my 5-9 p.m. class...

I just wish that more students signed up for elective classes in the summer. With the economy being the way it is, they're not using their summer classes for electives :-( Liam's asleep across my lap now, so I'm going to write my students from a little poetry correspondence course thing I do for $50/student.

At least I'm not still working as a farm laborer on Sundays like I did until last year, right?!?! Stick out tongue

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 1st day back at work/working for almost nothing... (LONG)

• Options

Think of it this way- how lucky for those students to get your undivided attention.  Plus it won't take long to grade coursework.

But really, that sucks.  Can the two students move into the other section?

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options

I'm sorry!  I took a few summer courses while working on my Masters and most of them ended up being "directed study" because not enough students signed up for it to be considered a course.  I always really appreciated the professor keeping the course going, especially knowing that she was getting half the pay.  Hopefully it will be a nice ease in for the fall though...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know if I'll ever be able to teach a summer course.  I would love to, but I feel like the schedule is too intense and I would just get frustrated with the pace. 

Could you do the smaller course partially online or by skype?  (Our campus IT people will set up a skype-based course if needed - I almost was going to do this to extend my teaching time so I didn't have to take maternity leave early, but I decided to just let someone else take my courses over.)  Then the students could still get the credit and it would save everyone some time.

• Options

My husband uses the GI bill, so i think it is awesome you are willing to teach the course so they can keep their aid. :)

I'm sorry you won't be paid for it, but I hope that they are appreciative!

• Options

Thanks so much, Guys... I really feel like (1) I need the money. Even if it's half pay, it's something--like an entire mortgage payment or a bit more. (2) I would rather Liam, Jared, and I "ease in" to our roles of me being at work full-time, and him working part-time/being mostly a SAHD. (3) The students need the courses, and we're a REALLY rural community college. I've had students who live way off and drive 2 1/2 hours one way for courses that aren't online, so I've tried to always help students out when I can.

The courses are two different courses, so there's no way to lump them in. One is lit and one is creative writing. I tried to "sell" my lit class to the creative writing class tonight, thinking maybe they'd take both, but they either work during the day and that's why they're taking a night class, or they have other day classes that conflict.

Here's to hoping the students appreciate it :-) Thanks for boosting my mood a bit! Now, I'm heading home to see my li'l guy!

ETA: As far as the online/Skype, I asked the one student if he'd be open to that, the GI Bill one, and he really wants a face-to-face class. That's why he came back home for the summer...

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Options
    Just adding my 2 cents. I think it's awesome because all 3 of those students want to be there so maybe it will feel like a little less waste of time. And I wish I would have eased back into work. I am so much more exhausted than I thought I would be. Goodluck

• Options
    I think if nothing else, you are building up some excellent karma! And I think the point about easing into working is a good one. It sounds like you will have an enjoyable summer with your class!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"