Food Allergy
Options

Possible egg allergy and hives

I'm looking for some information. I'm not getting enough from my ped. My son ate eggs (under direction of ped) on the 16 and 17th. I had to take him to the ER on the 17th with massive amounts of hives on his face and neck. So for the last week he's had hives off and on. He's on Benadryl and an oral steroid. Yesterday they were worse than the day he had eggs but he hasn't had eggs since.?

So does this sound like an egg allergy? OR here's my other thought. During this whole time we've also been having our four-plex reroofed. Could it be possible that the roofers has stirred up something that he's allergic to?

I'm going to start a food journal for him and the ped's office acted like this is normal but OMG he had hives from head to toe yesterday. Today they are better but only slightly. (It's also pretty hot in KY right now)

Any info or opinions are welcome. I did speak with the nurse today but she only said it sounds normal and didn't offer much information.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possible egg allergy and hives

• Options
    Hives are the first thing that made me suspect that my son had an egg allergy.  Did he get hives right after eating the eggs or was it a delayed reaction?  I would recommend taking your LO to an allergist for farther testing.  This is the direction our pedi pointed us when I mentioned that I suspected a food allergy.  
  • Options
    If you suspect the hives are from the eggs than I would get a referral to an allergist.  Also, I know somebody recently whose kid broke out in head to toe hives like you described, they brought him to the pedi, dermatologist, and an allergist.  Then back to the pedi who confirmed he had a virus.  Seems werid, but I wouldn't rule that out either. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I did eggs two days in a row. The first day his chin turned splotchy (immediately) just like when he had cinnamon (suspected cinnamon allergy too) and the second day he had less eggs (I tried them again to test for the allergy since I suspected) but immediately turned splotchy red on his face. Went down for a nap and then woke up with full on hives on his face and neck. The peds office told me to take him to the ER (they were of no help). This was on June 17th. He's had no more eggs but hives off and on since.?

The nurse today on the phone acted like the eventual course would be to refer him to an allergist. Do you think I should press for this at his year check up? ?

• Options
    I have been fighting exzema and contact rashes since he was 4 weeks old. Rash fighting is part of my daily routine but these hives are new.?
  • Options

Well, I guess if there has been eczema and rashes... and the hives started right afterwards then I think it is safe to bet it is a FA.  For sure press for an referral at his one year appointment.  I found that a lot of pedi won't refer to one until one year old or older, b/c the allergy testing gets more accurate the older they get.  GL!

• Options
    push for the referral or self refer if you can.  I still kick myself for waiting for so long to see the allergist when that's where I wanted to start in the first place (we battled eczema from 2 months on and never cleared the rash until after food allergy dx). We also went to a dermatologist first. Trust your mommy gut. 
  • Options

sounds like a reaction to eggs.  is he breast fed? if so, make sure there is no eggs in your diet. Including products that contain eggs.

My son went into an anaphalactic reaction after touching an piece of egg and rubbing his face.  The hives kept coming back for a few weeks.. so i would give it at least a full week before his hives go away and then just avoid avoid avoid eggs until he gets a blood test.

just be very cautious when introducing any top 8 allergens from now on. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I knew I didn't want to try eggs that early but I was like If the doc says to maybe I should. So I'll be trusting myself more now and I'll definitely push for allergy testing. His hives are MUCH better today so hopefully we're through with that and now I'm going to start the food journal. It's hard since he's with MIL and my mom while I work to know everything that they give him. I'm going to have to insist they write it down for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"