Success after IF
Options

Weight gain with first vs second pregnancies?

I know we hate to talk about pregnancy weight gain, but here goes anyway.  I've been up since 5:30 am, so I'm just tired enough to throw this out there and wait for the flames, lol.

I am eating like a pig.  Seriously.  I bought a loaf of thick sliced french bread on Saturday, and have eaten almost all of it by myself (one more meal and that thing is a goner).  I have made two dishes specifically because they I knew they would be good with a crusty garlic bread. 

I only gained 26 lbs with Caroline, with almost all of that being in the 3rd tri...so far, I've gained 14 lbs with this baby, and it is showing NO signs of slowing down.

I want to say that I've read somewhere that you gain more with your 2nd than the 1st...is that right, or am I just being a big piggy, or both? Wink

Re: Weight gain with first vs second pregnancies?

• Options

I gained 38 lbs. with Stella and only 18 lbs. with Hadley.  However, I had my babies a year apart so keep that in mind.  I started out heavier with Hadley so I think that's partly why I didn't gain as much.  My final weight was the same with both.  I think I was more of a piggy with Stella though.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think people do tend to gain more with their second than the first.  This is my fear, I feel like I'm already gaining this time, I am hungry but don't feel like I'm eating all the time or different (I'm not even 6 weeks).  I didn't gain any weight until I was 16 weeks last time.  I gained about 37 lbs total (which I thought was more but I just checked my chart).  

I'm really scared I will gain 40-50 this time and have a hard time getting it off.

I'll be interested for other responses.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2 with PCOS since September 2009
    BFP, Femara 7.5mg, Ovidrel, IUI. Beta #1 17dpIUI -495 Beta #2 19dpIUI-1031
    Lovebugs2012
    My Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cjsbdlcjsbdl member

I also ate like a pig when I was pg (and, let's be honest, while I'm bf, too). But I'm just always hungry, so I eat.

I gained exactly 30 lbs with Henry and 27 lbs with Eleanor.

• Options

I gaines 33 both times. Just put it on at different points in my pregnancy. First one, gained it all at the end. Second one, gained it all in the first & second tri and didnt gain hardly at all (and even lost some some weeks) in the end.

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Options

I gained 30 on the dot with my singleton and 30 on the dot with my twins.

With my singleton, I ate like normal, kept up a normal work out routine (daily - sometimes even twice a day).

With my twins, I had GD so no sugar the last 3 months and had to quit working out at 20 weeks due to contractions.  I spent as much time as I could laying down.

So for me, my body just gains what it does.  Two totally different situations, and the same weight gain. 

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So far Ive gained more weight this time.  I gained about 22 pounds with DS with about 16 of that being in the 3rd tri.  I think I am on track to gain atleast 25-30+ pounds this time.  Im eating carbs and crap like a monster.  I ate some crap with DS's pregnancy too, but I was also in the best shape of my life when I got PG with him.  This time I was in pretty good shape, but not as hardcore as with PG # 1.  I have no control over my food cravings..none.
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I gained exactly 20 lbs with both pregnancies (same start and end weight).  Overall I ate less with my second pregnancy because I experienced m/s, a lot more stress, and awful heartburn and reflux that would make me sick. I lost all of the weight at about the same time post partum but my body looks different the second time. Things didn't perk back up like they did after having DD...:(

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagelaura&dan05:
    Things didn't perk back up like they did after having DD...:(

This is true for me as well : (  I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant with Paige, but my stomach is all kinds of a hot mess and I know it won't change without plastic surgery.  That is probably more due to the fact that I had twins, however, I think it is also because I got pregnant 10 months after I delivered my first.   

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I gained 36 lbs with Cal and 0 of them were in the 1st tri. This time, I've already gained 10 at 16 weeks!  I'm hoping I'll be like Mrs. LisaP and end up the same in the end, but instead of gaining more toward the end, most of it will be in the beginning. :)

PS I don't hate talking about pregnancy weight gain!
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LOL, I know how you feel. However, somehow, my weight gain has been slower this time around. I gained almost 40 lbs with Ethan but so far have only gained about 7 lbs with this one. I think I have a theory about why I'm not packing it on this time (having to do with my start weight and PCOS stuff) but I'm also more active than I was when I was pg with Ethan and I have been trying to avoid ice cream, which was my biggest downfall last pg, LOL. I also got a nasty sinus infection that lasted a month and a half around 10 weeks and lost 6-7 lbs at that time. This pg has just been different in the weight department.

• Options
    So far, my pregnancies have been similar, but I started 10lbs heavier this time. Both times I lost about 10lbs in the 1st tri to lack of appetite, sick, etc... With E total weight gain was around 17lbs. This time, I am up a net weight gain of 4 from my starting weight, but I gained back the 10 I lost too. So, I have actually gained 14 already. I bet I gain over 20lbs this time, but I feel that's in the ballpark of where I was before. I gained while BFing too - hope to lose this time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC since Dec '04 Severe MFI-diagnosed 12/06 3 failed Fresh IVFs FET #1 - BFP!! 2 blasts tx on day 6. Beta #1 8dp6dt = 56, Beta #2 = 600, Beta #3 = 5600 My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I gained the most with my first but I'm weird when it comes to pregnancy and weight gain.  First, I have extra weight to start with and second, I lose a lot of weight in my first and second trimesters because I have bad morning sickness.  So far with this pregnancy I'm only up about 5 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight.  I'd take being thinner all the time though and gaining more during pregnancy than the other way around.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"